Sest, PCV or PV - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > ECM/Fuel Management systems

ECM/Fuel Management systems ECM/Fuel Management systems For Road Glides

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 05-26-2012, 12:57 PM

Thanks for all the input fellas. I am going to stick with the se tuner along with my other mods. Se heavy breather, Vance and Hines power duals and cfr slip ons. I'm going to also add a cam at some point.thanks again for all the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 01:38 AM

Default Little late, but here goes!

As mentioned previously in the thread, installing any "version" of race tuner SERT or SEST, will leave a permanent footprint on your ECM and worse, void your warranty. These tuners marry themselves to your ECM and ... there's no denying it.

One thing no one's mentioned here is the throttle lag issues of the newer TBW bikes. If your unaware or simply haven't noticed it yet, rest assured it's there and not going away. The bigger you go with your motor, the more noticeable it will become. V&H has a partial fix, their ThrottlePak does help with the problem. The best solution, is the Zippers ThunderMax ECM, they discovered the problem with lag while developing their ECM. Just make sure you keep you stock ECM in case something goes wrong. Not advocating one tuner system over another, just helping inform people of the facts. Most dealers, locally, are now installing Power Commanders (with Dyno time) or similar piggy back systems that can be removed in the event of a warranty claim.

Food for thought!
Old 06-03-2012, 03:54 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Cycles View Post
As mentioned previously in the thread, installing any "version" of race tuner SERT or SEST, will leave a permanent footprint on your ECM and worse, void your warranty. These tuners marry themselves to your ECM and ... there's no denying it.

One thing no one's mentioned here is the throttle lag issues of the newer TBW bikes. If your unaware or simply haven't noticed it yet, rest assured it's there and not going away. The bigger you go with your motor, the more noticeable it will become. V&H has a partial fix, their ThrottlePak does help with the problem. The best solution, is the Zippers ThunderMax ECM, they discovered the problem with lag while developing their ECM. Just make sure you keep you stock ECM in case something goes wrong. Not advocating one tuner system over another, just helping inform people of the facts. Most dealers, locally, are now installing Power Commanders (with Dyno time) or similar piggy back systems that can be removed in the event of a warranty claim.

Food for thought!
TTS has a great way of dealing with throttle lag. As far as warranty goes if you have built your engine so it needs a tuner, most likely your warranty on the engine is gone anyway. on the other hand if you have a good relationship with your dealer they will most likely take care of you regardless of what tuner you use.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff View Post
TTS has a great way of dealing with throttle lag. As far as warranty goes if you have built your engine so it needs a tuner, most likely your warranty on the engine is gone anyway. on the other hand if you have a good relationship with your dealer they will most likely take care of you regardless of what tuner you use.
+1

Not saying it couldn't happen, but I have never heard of a warranty being voided for a SEPST.
If I were buying a tuner today, I'd choose the TTS

Old 06-03-2012, 04:34 PM

How can my warranty possibly be voided? They sold me the se pro tuner when I bought the bike...
2005 Roadking
2012 Roadglide

Previous ride
2009 Streetglide.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Hangaround

This is right out of the Screaming Eagle catalog:
"Warranty: Installation of Screaming Eagle products and off-road and competion products from other manufacturers, except some street legal offerings installed by a authorized Harley dealer may void your HD limited vehicle warranty. See your dealer for more information."
Now that being said they still have to show the modifacation caused the warranty issue in the 1st place.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Prospect

My HD dealer told me when I bought the bike that if I buy the tuner from a authorized HD dealer and have them do the tune that it will in no way affect my warranty and that he will put it in writing.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Hangaround

[QUOTEIf I were buying a tuner today, I'd choose the TTS][/QUOTE]

+1 on the TTS.
I like most here have used many tuners, PCIII/PC-V/THUNDERMAX & IED's I was about to pull the plug on a PV but some homework & talking to the local tuner turned me to the TTS.

Colin
Old 10-12-2012, 07:03 AM
Life Member

I used the seracetuner you dont need to instal it for the mods your doing until you change your cams dealer can flash your ecm with a stage one common download most dealers charge around a 100$ for it when your cams or installed a dyno tuned with the race tuner will work great
Old 11-04-2012, 03:03 AM
Grey beard

I think the warranty issue is being overstated. I have had 30hd's with multiple mods ~ never had a warranty claim denied, or extended warranty claim.

06 SE Ultra PCV with autotune ~ new rear head at 40 & 80k Traded the bike at 93k ~ new owner utilized the extended
10 Ultra LTD with PCV & autotune ~ New rear head at 30k
60k new camplate/cams/oilpump, on the fourth compensator, in the boutique now having a stator replaced ~ under the extended selling the bike now ~

Both of these previous bikes were mildly built ~ the 10 with the 103 dyno'd at 110/114 ~ it is all about the dealer/indy.

Most folks don't know that some indys are authorized to do work under the extended also.

I always buy the extended ~ my current FLTRXSE has a dealer installed stage III with SEPST FM 2/1/2 ceramic, hd performance baffles, 259e's ~ I am not even the concerned about warranty/extended.

Can Harley Deny the warranty? Absolutely ~ you didn't have your oil changes completed by the dealer ~ the services were not done by the dealer.... Do I concern myself ~ no ~ not once with 30 HD's and 170k + on 2 ultras since 06, and over 5k in 6 weeks on the 12 RG have I had a single warranty/extended denied or questioned.

My .02
2012 FLTRXSE Skunk S&S 124/HPI 66, PCV w A/T ~ Chopped Tour Pack, Lowers, 11" Tinted MadStad, S&S Power Tune Duals Jet Hot Black, Daymaker LED's, Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector, Fork Baffle, Pro 940's & Pro Monotubes, Baker DD7, Zumo 660, Vulcanworks Solid Sproket, Barnett Scorpion, Jaggs 10 Row oil Cooler w/Fan.

Last edited by mitchdm; 11-04-2012 at 03:07 AM. Reason: spelling