BadDad stretched tank shroud - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Paint & Bodywork Section

Paint & Bodywork Section Post your paint & bodywork questions and issues here!

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-02-2012, 02:40 PM

Default BadDad stretched tank shroud

When I have more time I'll share more about the process to get the shroud to fit properly (not exactly plug and play). I love the way it looks so far. Looking forward to seeing it painted and on the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glue.jpg (95.1 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg 11-2-2012 2-31-57 PM.jpg (75.1 KB, 190 views)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Shark of the Month August 13

Entertaining a shroud myself, vs a replacement tank.......be interested in hearing your feed back on the BadDad piece
Old 11-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Life Member

My buddy has the shroud. It looks really good finished and you can trim it to go around your favorite seat
Old 11-02-2012, 07:05 PM

You happen to have a few pictures of the finished product on your buddies bike
Old 11-02-2012, 07:06 PM

Cypress......overall how was the install?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:30 AM

The install involved sanding a bad fiberglass job, trimming the shroud for the seat and modifying the seat to fit the longer tank. Now that itís almost done, Iím a happy camper and love the way it looks. A few more details of the install will follow after this post which shows current status.

Still need to remove some foam to shape the seat nose like an RGC (never liked the way the RGU nose is over-stuffed). Then Iíll stretch and staple the vinyl around the seat pan. Any wrinkles you see will come out.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Final Fit large.jpg (65.8 KB, 302 views)

Old 11-04-2012, 08:32 AM

The shroud I got from BadDad had a nice exterior but the interior had *significant* high spots requiring a lot of sanding. BadDad acknowledged some recent problems on these and offered to swap it out but I decided to fix it myself. If you buy one, I suggest that you talk to them about my experience and insist on a test fit before they ship. I spent a lot of time sanding and fitting.

This picture illustrates the fit problem. Note how the dash doesnít fully cover the shroud around the gas cap.

I donít have any pictures showing the high spots in the fiberglass as they are actually pretty hard to see. The way I found them was to fit the shell on the tank (which had been sanded) and when I pulled the shell off, the high spots left a mark on the tank. Yeah, it was a time-consuming pain in the ass but it worked.

Another area to be aware of is toward the rear of the shroud where it touches the frame. I didnít consider this a defect and it was fixed easily with a little trimming.

Only two pictures per post allowed so on to the next post...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bad fit around dash.jpg (83.8 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg Shroud touching frame.jpg (33.9 KB, 288 views)

Old 11-04-2012, 08:38 AM

Gotta plug this product I got at Lowes. Looks like it might be soft but itís hard and has a course abrasive throughout. I did all my sanding and fine tuning on both the shroud and the seat pan with it. Press hard and you can take off a lot of material or keep light pressure for fine tuning. I will always keep these around.

This pic shows the trim required to fit the modified RGU seat pan. Iíll go into the seat mod in the next post.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Abrasive wheel.jpg (72.6 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg Tank trim.jpg (42.2 KB, 285 views)

Old 11-04-2012, 08:55 AM

Stock seat pan. Staples are shallow and easy to pull, I used needlenose. Pull all the staples you see in this picture.

Pull the vinyl back and trim the Ďwingsí off the pan with a dremel in a shape similar to this. I also trimmed the nose back to show more of the chrome dash. Trim the foam to match the new shape - regular scissors work fine.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pan before pulling staples.jpg (93.3 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg Seat pan trim.jpg (75.5 KB, 285 views)

Old 11-04-2012, 09:10 AM

Used a thin piece of plywood for protection while doing final trim on the nose. Found it best to do this while the seat was bolted down to be more precise.

Last pic showing fit of tank and seat. Still need to remove a little more foam, stretch the wrinkles out and staple it down. Might do that after the Texans are done whoopiní up on the Bills

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plywood protector.jpg (93.3 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg Final Fit.jpg (66.5 KB, 283 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.