Flashing ABS light & Rubbing noise? - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Troubleshooting for Road Glides

Troubleshooting for Road Glides List your Road Glide problems here, and DR. Ruth will answer them.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Hangaround

Default Flashing ABS light & Rubbing noise?

I read in the owners manual that the ABS system does a "self diagnosis" once the bike is started. During the time of this diagnosis the ABS light flashes. Does anyone know specifically what the system is doing during this diagnosis period? The reason I ask is that today my new RG started making what sounded like a rubbing noise coming from the rear of the bike as I slowed down but not necessarily slowing down with the brakes. This was a very obvious noise. So, I get to point where I have the bike at a complete stop and can roll forward until I hit the spot that the noise starts. My assumption at this point is possibly a warped rotor (I'm not a mechanic). I turn off the bike and when I restart the bike the noise begins while sitting still in unison with the flashing ABS light. I move forward 2 feet the noise stops. But now goes back to occurring at slow down.
Has anyone else had an issue like this?
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Life Member

Youll have to search around alil for it but there is a way to check the codes by using your odometer. Get the code number but definately get it back to your dealer to have them check it out

Some people just need a high-five. In the head. With a chair
Old 11-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Hangaround

I am definitely bringing it back to the dealer. I was thinking that this may have been an issue someone here had seen before.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Life Member

if its just a slight rubbing noise, its probably the brake pads rubbing on the rotor. that is normal. when you release the brake lever, the pistons retract, just enough, to take pressure off of the pads/rotor. but they can't retract any further than the width of the rotor itself. unless the rotor is slightly out of round and the high spot pushes the pistons back further into the bore.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:27 PM

Default Flashing ABS light & Rubbing noise?

HD Jaco, so what happened? Did you ever settle your issue with your rg? I'm asking because I just got a 2013 rg and after riding for about 40 miles I slow down to 10 mph and clutch in or out I hear this rubbing noise. I engage both brakes to see if it'd go away and its still there. I've taken it back to the dealer and they say they can't find anything wrong. They test drive it for about 15 miles and that's it. This noise doesn't happen when I first ride. It only comes out after 30 minutes or so. Please share your "fix". Thanks bud.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:18 PM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickWhite View Post
HD Jaco, so what happened? Did you ever settle your issue with your rg? I'm asking because I just got a 2013 rg and after riding for about 40 miles I slow down to 10 mph and clutch in or out I hear this rubbing noise. I engage both brakes to see if it'd go away and its still there. I've taken it back to the dealer and they say they can't find anything wrong. They test drive it for about 15 miles and that's it. This noise doesn't happen when I first ride. It only comes out after 30 minutes or so. Please share your "fix". Thanks bud.
No fix yet. I have had the same experience with the dealer. I am going to try an experiment one of these days... I would like to locate the fuse for the ABS and once the noise starts, pull the fuse. This was recommended by someone but I have not tried it yet. I do think the problem is in the ABS system based on several conversations with mechanics.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Grey beard

That's another special "no charge" from the moco !!!!!!!