Question on Greasing the Steering Head Bearing - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Do-IT-Yourself

Do-IT-Yourself For all those Do-it-yourself ideas that will save you some bucks

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Hangaround

Default Question on Greasing the Steering Head Bearing

A friend of mine who is mechanic who works on construction equipment loaned me his battery operated grease gun with a flexible shaft so I could grease my steering head bearings. I told him I was going to go to Harley and buy the special purpose grease and he said nonsense. He said he had some grease that would work better than any other grease and gave me a tube of Maxi-Lube Heavy Duty NLGI #2 Multi-purpose Grease, H2. Made by Chemsearch.
What do you guys think? Would you use it or go buy the Harley special purpose grease?

PDF file from Chemsearch:
http://www.chemsearch.net.au/Product...n/Maxilube.pdf

Says on tube to avoid mixing with clay or bentonite greases. Not sure what is in the bike from the factory. I can't find any data or specs on the Harley special purpose grease. And from what I hear, the bike comes from the factory empty as it supposedly takes about a full tube to fill it up at the 1000 mile service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 06:51 PM

I think this is one of those like oil, and transmission fluid. Your local HD should have the msds sheet on their products. Tha will give you the information. I bought their grease and love the zert fitting my old bike I would have to pack the bearing by hand.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Life Member

If it was wheel bearings it would make some difference, but for steering head bearings it really doesn't matter as long as there is something in there called grease.
Harley doesn't "specially formulate" anything, they send out the specs they want to potential bidders and whoever sends back the low bid on a product that meets the specs gets the job, that's how it works in big business.
If your buddy's grease holds up the the riggers of construction equipment, your steering head bearings will be just fine.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:06 PM
Life Member

You might be surprised by the lack of grease from the factory and its not always done with the dealer prep. I would not worry to much about using the grease your buddy offered up. Pump away!
2012 RGU / Big Blue Pearl / Woods TW222 Cams / Fuel Moto Ceramic 2-1-2 Headpipe / Fuel Moto 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers / Fuel Moto Stage 1 A/C / Power Vision Tuner / Heritage Bars / Seat Mod by MCC /Rider and Passenger Bead Riders / BAL Tail Light / 12" & 14" Windvest / Sancho's wings / Iron Aces Phone Mount / Rear Fascia Upgrade / Avon Grips / Mean Mug by Gas Capital Customs
Old 11-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Life Member

You can use any multi-purpose bearing grease. Some bikes dont even have any grease in them from the factory. Theses arent bearings that spin at high rates of speed like wheel bearings, they move a few degrees to left and right. You wont need anything fancy in them to keep them lubricated

No matter how good she looks someone somewhere is sick of her shit
Old 11-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Life Member

I use green grease.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Hangaround

Alright....I'm going to use it. That is what is already in the tool he loaned me. Plus, he gave me brand new tube.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Hangaround

The grease fitting on my RG with 915 miles looks clean as a whistle. No evidence of grease or dust or anything stuck to it. Makes me think that no one has put grease in it yet. Waiting for my two kids to go to bed then I'm going out to the garage to complete part of the 1000 mile service. It is supposed to get back into the 60's at some point this week. I'll go for a ride and change the fluids, go over bolts, etc.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Life Member

Cool beans. Let us know how you make out man

No matter how good she looks someone somewhere is sick of her shit
Old 11-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Hangaround

Got it done last night. Was a one beer job. Real simple. Having the battery operated grease gun made it sweet. Just hooked it up and pulled the trigger. Kept checking around the top and bottom of the steering neck for grease to come out. I should be good to go.