Shocks to RAISE the rear? - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Suspensions

Suspensions Discuss all you Suspension needs and wants here!

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 06-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Hangaround

Default Shocks to RAISE the rear?

I'm wondering what shocks and size to go with to raise the ride height 3/4-1". I was considering the 940's until I realized the 13" shocks, although an inch longer, leave ride height the same. I'm looking to shift a bit more of the weight to the front and maybe increase ground clearance a bit. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Life Member

Progressive 440's will give you the stock height without lowering the rear end.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:03 AM
Grey beard

I run 13-1/2" 440HD shocks on my '09 FLTR. It only raised the rear height by 1/2" over factory. Not enough to notice any diff in handling, by I do like the extra suspension travel, as there's very little of it to start with.

Jeff
Old 06-07-2012, 12:20 PM

Your stock FLTRX (Custom) shocks are 12" , the stock Ultra and EG shocks are 13" ,. So you can buy any used set of HD Take Offs from any of the other Touring Models except the Street Glide and you will be raising your bike 1" or order any aftermarket 13" shock.

But if you order a aftermarket 13" shock it will be about 1" higher on the jiffy stand but it may only be 1/2 - 0" taller when you are sitting on it since most aftermarket shocks that use spring oil/gas require a rider sag be set to get the best performance out of them usually its 1/3 of the shock travel or about 1" with our shocks. The stock HD air shocks in my experience could never be adjusted for sag , they were always topped out at my weight of 210 lbs even with 0psi in them. So if you want it to be 1" taller with you on the bike you may want to look at 13.5 or a little longer shocks.

Howard at Motor Cycle metal will custom make a set of Ohlins to your specs and is a wealth of info . he has a shock that he calls 3-3 Ohlin that are a little linger that 13 and are supposed to work great.
2011 FLTRX, 103 Power Pak, Stage 1 with Power Vision and V & H Power Duals, SE A/C, Cee Bailey TRSSC 15", Progressive 940 rear,Mono Tubes Front, C & C Fastback Seat and some extras in black here and there

Previous HDs
2005 Annv FLSTFI, Stage II 95 kit, lowered 2" - SOLD
2004 Road King Custom - SOLD
2004 Sportster 1200 r, Stage 1 - SOLD
Old 06-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Hangaround

I installed 13" WORKS Performance shocks and the ride height can be adjusted with their supplied tool, just a few turns either way raises or lowers them and btw I don't miss the air shocks one bit!
Old 06-07-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
I installed 13" WORKS Performance shocks and the ride height can be adjusted with their supplied tool, just a few turns either way raises or lowers them and btw I don't miss the air shocks one bit!
The stock "Air Assisted" shocks are garbage! I agree with not missing them at all...
Old 06-17-2012, 02:11 PM
Prospect

Try Ohlins - I have a set of their #3-3's and it did raise the rear - And they are adjustable.

They are more than the Progressives, which I have never tried. But the Ohlins are fantastic. The ride on our 2012 RGC is so much better with these shocks than the stock air shocks.

I bought mine from Howard Messner at Motorcyclemetal.com - here is a link:

http://motorcyclemetal.com/gpage32.html

I believe stock shocks are 12" - the Ohlins adjust from 12 3/4 to 13 9/64. Don't get put off by the price on the link - I think my #3-3's were $790 delivered (I think the 2's are in the 500 range). Howard will walk you thru installation. He gives a discount if you are an HD forum member (not sure of about the RG Forum) Here is a discussion of Ohlins on the HD Forum

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...vs-ohlins.html

Good luck with your search.............

Last edited by tkbalt; 06-17-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:35 PM

find someone with an 2009 RG to trade with they had 13" stockers. Most want lower so should be easy to find someone. Try them so see if does what you are hoping it will, then by something better if that length works.

2009 FLTR Mirage Orange
2007 Nightster Silver / Black Denim... SOLD