103 ci 1000mi service - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Tech Area

Tech Area For Tutorials and Instructional Materials

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 10-17-2012, 08:57 AM

If you want to keep your warranty, the dealer must perform this service.

It's also more than just an oil change and fluid flush, they are literally checking every nut and bolt on the bike to see what has vibrated loose since the bike was delivered new.
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGCBandit View Post
This is completely incorrect statement.

You must perform the service properly - which means buy a Service manual and keep receipts. Document when performed and mileage. Note any abnormal shit. And yes maybe if you found a stripped bolt they probably won't give you a replacement... But I can buy a shit load of bolts that *they* screwed up for $400 they want to do the service.

Dealer can not deny you warranty unless they can prove you (or your mechanic) screwed something up. (ie not putting oil back in the engine etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Actually federal law in the U.S. says otherwise.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...ts/alt192.shtm
Old 10-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Life Member

Quote:

It's also more than just an oil change and fluid flush, they are literally checking every nut and bolt on the bike to see what has vibrated loose since the bike was delivered new.
I have heard & read this over the years, but have never seen it in print from the MoCo. What is your source for this statement?

As long as the maintenance is performed correctly and on schedule there should be no issues with the manufacturer's warranty or the extended service plan (if you have one). All maintenance, regardless who does the work, should be documented.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I find it hard to believe anyone is checking every nut and bolt at the thousand mile mark... or ever.

Here is what the MoCo says should happen at 1,000 miles:
Replace motor oil & filter
Inspect oil lines & brake system
Tires - Check pressure & tread
Replace primary case lubricant
Replace transmission lubricant
Clutch - Check adjustment
Drive belt & sprockets - Inspect & adjust
Brake & clutch controls - Check & adjust
Jiffy stand - Inspect & lubricate
Inspect fuel lines & fittings
Inspect brake fluid
Inspect brake pads & discs
Check electrical equipment & switches
Lubricate steering head bearings
Fuel door, tour-pak saddlebags - lubricate hinges
Inspect critical fasteners
Inspect exhaust system
Road test

No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLWiz View Post
Actually federal law in the U.S. says otherwise.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...ts/alt192.shtm
Thanks Wiz, I was looking for the sticky... should have just googled Magnuson-Moss. Of course this USA perspective... Not sure about Canada or other countries...
Old 10-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pargenz View Post
Maybe I'm just cynical, but I find it hard to believe anyone is checking every nut and bolt at the thousand mile mark... or ever.
I think it's a safe bet the "source" would be the guys Dealer... hence why we call them Stealers... My dealer knew the day I picked up the bike that I would be doing the 1k. His words, Ok, just keep the reciepts and document it. "Yep!" not my first goat rodeo...

What you said above is how I feel also. When I picked up my '12 the air pressure in the tires was about half of what it should be... how's that for proper Pre-Delivery? I already properly adjusted the clutch the second day I had the bike because they had it set tight and I hate the friction zone right off the grip... finding neutral is easy now, was nearly impossible until then.

So I'll keep doing my own work thank you. If the motor craters before I hot rod it, they can fix it... if after, well, I'll fix it so it doesn't crater again... but hey, that's me and my choice.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Life Member

Quote:

This is not correct ~ 30 HD's and never had a warranty or extended warranty issue by performing my own maintenance. I avg over 30k per year and have never even been asked to provide receipts for filters/lubricants/etc. I have had warranty service at many dealerships across the us and never had an issue, the extended is actually honored at some Indy's and I have had major work performed there also. SemperFi
Old 10-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Hangaround

I do ALL my own services just get yourself a service manual as was suggested and look up current service bulletins of your bike: year and model.

I've been in the industry as a tech/mechanic for years and was disgusted by how the dealers did business when it came to service and repair as they focused more on timely (fast) repairs and turning the pressure on the techs to get things done on sometimes what I would consider a ridiculous schedule. Lots of come backs because things get over looked or missed, sometimes loctite is missed and the owner shares this blame because they want their bike yesterday.

I work out of my own garage these days and I work on my group's bikes and have yet to hear any complaints and usually they come back with other projects and keep me nice and busy along with other individuals through word of mouth. I tell them, give me some time I'll get it done right and if it's a repair job I tell them I'll look it over and give you my recommendations and price of repair, something Harley Dealers don't do, they just say "come back later." only to have you standing around waiting for someone to come out and tell you that they didn't even have a chance to look at it today.
Also, the way a lot of them treat people makes me physically ill!
Then you get the shop idiots that are fresh out of MMI that shouldn't even be cleaning bikes, much less perform services.

Long story short, get the service manual, read over all the sections involving your service and take your time. A 1K service is easy peasy. It's not rocket science! Good luck and enjoy. Nothing like pride in your own work!

Last edited by Lunchbox; 10-28-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:51 PM

My bike is 11 months old now; when I did my first oil/primary/tranny fluid change, I also saw alot of metal flake in the pan, but very little after that. None now...
Old 11-04-2012, 10:59 PM

I took my bike in for warranty work a few days ago, Rocket H-D in Huntsville, Alabama. Had a little problem with the brake light lenses falling out. The tech came out and asked me who did my last service, and when I told him that I had, he told me that I had failed to adjust the clutch cable properly. I told him that it was where I was comfortable with it. I told him that the only issue I had was checking/tightening critical fasteners--haven't been able to find out what exactly critical fasteners are. He told me to buy a service manual AND told me that they recommend that the dealership perform all "major" services, i.e., 10k, 20k, 30k, etc. I don't have a problem going to the dealer if there's something I can't or can't take the time to handle, but I also can't see dropping 4 C-notes for something that looks to be a fairly simple exercise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.