high speed touring - Page 3 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures

*General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-05-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4getNo1 View Post
Standard for us... two-up and loaded with cruise control set on 80 and an easy twist (no down-shift) to accelerate to 90/100 when passing 16 wheel tread tossers.

Was the same routine with my 2010 too (35K miles at trade-in - no problems). As stated, 96" and 103" with 6 speed trans plus new frame are well above the "cruiser" category.
Our 6th gear sucks at highway speeds.

Very anemic power. I haven't looked up a dyno chart, but I believe we're running about 1000-1500rpm below our sweet spot in 6th on the freeway at anything under 80mph.

All of my previous bikes ran at or very near their peak of the powerband in 6th at 65-75mph. Never really needed to downshift until I got my RGC.
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 12:40 AM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGCBandit View Post
Our 6th gear sucks at highway speeds.

Very anemic power. I haven't looked up a dyno chart, but I believe we're running about 1000-1500rpm below our sweet spot in 6th on the freeway at anything under 80mph.

All of my previous bikes ran at or very near their peak of the powerband in 6th at 65-75mph. Never really needed to downshift until I got my RGC.
I'm surprised to hear that. I'm impressed with mine at and above 3000 RPM or so.

Now if it was an emergency "get away", I too would downshift. However, just speeding up some to minimize time spent next to a 16 wheeler, no sweat. Just roll on some more throttle.

ETA: Here's a pic lifted from Fuel Moto showing a completely stock 2010 Electra Glide Ultra Limited 103" vs. adding Jackpot mufflers, Fuel Moto Stage 1 air cleaner and Dynojet Power Commander PC V:

Last edited by 4getNo1; 11-05-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4getNo1 View Post
I'm surprised to hear that. I'm impressed with mine at and above 3000 RPM or so.

Now if it was an emergency "get away", I too would downshift. However, just speeding up some to minimize time spent next to a 16 wheeler, no sweat. Just roll on some more throttle.
I guess I'm just accustomed to more power. It was noticeable immediately on the 1st ride, but all the other positives about the bike were enough to make me buy it. I plan to add some power this upcoming year anyway
Old 11-05-2012, 01:07 AM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGCBandit View Post
I guess I'm just accustomed to more power. It was noticeable immediately on the 1st ride, but all the other positives about the bike were enough to make me buy it. I plan to add some power this upcoming year anyway
Could be RGCBandit. I pretty much rely upon torque unless there's a reason to stretch up into the peak HP region and completely agree, higher RPM makes a big difference if that's what's needed.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:06 AM
Grey beard

Location: Main Residence Perth Western Australia, Secondary Varna Bulgaria, Satellite Houston

Welcome and congrats on the new beastie, sweet spot for my SERG is 90 mph.

Veritas Vos Liberabit{the truth shall set you free}
Old 11-05-2012, 04:49 AM
Hangaround

I owned three Yamahas and three other Harleys before making the step to a Road Glide, am not looking back anymore, ride is great, power is as needed and the bike as so many have said just feels solid to the road. Had fixed fairings on two of the rice rockets prior, had one w/s and one batwing Harley, so far nothing will change my mind as to ride performance here. I have a little trouble keeping speeds down with the Roadie, I need to check the speedometer more often as I seem to creep toward 80/85 if I don't!
Old 11-05-2012, 05:39 AM
Grey beard

Location: Main Residence Perth Western Australia, Secondary Varna Bulgaria, Satellite Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm502001 View Post
I owned three Yamahas and three other Harleys before making the step to a Road Glide, am not looking back anymore, ride is great, power is as needed and the bike as so many have said just feels solid to the road. Had fixed fairings on two of the rice rockets prior, had one w/s and one batwing Harley, so far nothing will change my mind as to ride performance here. I have a little trouble keeping speeds down with the Roadie, I need to check the speedometer more often as I seem to creep toward 80/85 if I don't!
"I have a little trouble keeping speeds down with the Roadie," We all have that trouble, it's a particular feature of the shark and that's why they gave us cruise control.

Veritas Vos Liberabit{the truth shall set you free}
Old 11-05-2012, 05:43 AM
Grey beard

Not an issue ~ in the 80's ~ I have had 30 HD's and the last two Ultra's clocked a combined 170k or so since 06 ~ I run there or a bit faster ~ Enjoy
2012 FLTRXSE Skunk S&S 124/HPI 66, PCV w A/T ~ Chopped Tour Pack, Lowers, 11" Tinted MadStad, S&S Power Tune Duals Jet Hot Black, Daymaker LED's, Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector, Fork Baffle, Pro 940's & Pro Monotubes, Baker DD7, Zumo 660, Vulcanworks Solid Sproket, Barnett Scorpion, Jaggs 10 Row oil Cooler w/Fan.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:22 AM

Thanks all for the replies - I love the feel/sound of the 103 spin at 3,000 RPM +... I am looking forward to many future (long) miles of enjoyment with the RG!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm502001 View Post
...... as so many have said just feels solid to the road.
....... that's when my smile widens.
.... while the 88 labors some to get above 88, when yer there, arrowing across a landscape, it just does not get any better.
......... Road Glide ...... not just a name... it's an experience

'05 FLTRI, King Tour Pak, Vented Lowers, SG fender Fascia