Front End Wobble on RG/Service Bulletins - Page 33 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures

General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 10-07-2012, 05:22 PM

I have a 2013 RGU and was experiencing the same wobble. I took it in to Blackwolf HD in Bristol, VA. They tightened steering head and torgued to spec. On the way home, I could still feel a tiny bit of wobble and called them back. They asked me to bring it back the next day. I took it in and the master tech took it on a test ride and said it did have a tiny bit of wobble still in it but it was not the steering head.
He said it felt like the front wheel bearing were not seated properly. He took them out and put them in a bearing test machine, pulled them out and put them back in the bike. It is perfect now. Zero wobble at any speed from 0 to 80. That is about as fast as I go so if it is there over 80, I don't care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 08:22 PM

I have had a really bad wobble on decel since my bike was new in April of 2011. I have had the steering head bearings checked and tightened with the best efforts it did not help. I had two other dealers also check and ride the bike with no improvement.

In two riding seasons a front tire was replaced under warranty with no real improvement at about 16,000 kms (10,000 miles) and a new rear was installed this spring both were the stock Dunlops. I like the ride and the mileage and was satisfied with the rain performance but the head shake was most disturbing.

Last week I had my dealer install a set of the new Michelin Commanders front and rear at about 45,000 kms (27,000 miles) I have long suspected the tires were the issue and hoped the Michelins an approved tire by the MOCO would solve the issue.

I recieved a call from the service department advising me the bike was ready and the violent headshake was gone. To the pleasant surprize of the tech and the manager . To thier credit the dealer had spent a lot of effort trying to resolve my problem. They did contact both Deeley HD the Canadian importer and the MOCO with no advice offered other than the updated service bulletin and to always keep my hands on the bars.

If any of you continue with the head shake maybe replacing both tires will help you. I have not been able to make it shake on decel without actually forcing it so I am happy. I will hopefully get good wear and the new tires will work well in the rain. I hope to get some riding to see how they work,

Thanks for all the contributions to this thread with suggestions from the members. I can now enjoy my RGU without worrying.

Thanks to my dealer for working to resolve my issues and taking good care to try and get to the bottom of this issue,
Old 11-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Hangaround

When I had my Heritage, I had a bad wobble. The techs tightened the steering head and got rid of it. Problem was that as tight as they adjusted it, I couldn't have swerved to avoid an object in the road if my life depended on it, and it may very well have. Way too tight - so tight it was dangerous. I took it back and told them it was too tight and to look at replacing the front Dunlop. They put the fall away back into spec and replaced the front tire. No more wobble. After weeks and several attempts at adjusting it out, the tire fixed it - plain and simple.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:29 PM

Default Front end Wobble

I had the same issue, got to 14,000 miles and had the tire change, no more wobble, actually tried to get it to wobble by tapping the bars, would not wobble any more.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Hangaround

I had a wobble and did not know that I did. I had my 2012 FLTRU in for the 1000 mile service and the tech noticed it after his test ride. Fixed it then and there. Great service department at Republic HD Stafford,Tx (Houston).
Old 11-07-2012, 07:43 PM

Very interestingThanks for sharing.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:51 AM

Just reading this sticky...I recall having the same problem wobble on my RG when it was new in 2006....seem to think in 7 years factory could get it right the first time!!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:18 PM

Default Front end shake

I bought a 2013 and discovered the same thing. It will be going back to the dealer as soon as the salt is off the road. I can't believe this adjustment is not part of dealer prep.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:24 PM

Default wobbley front end

My 2012 has the same problem only on deselaretion between 45 and 35 mph,my 01 never had this problem,the first time i took it back to the dealer the said that it was not covered under warranty,i spoke to a harley rep at the cleveland motorcucle show and he is saying that the dealer needs to fix the problem,and if they give me any grief to call harley.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Admin

Default Front End Wobble on RG/Service Bulletins

After changing my wheel and tire on the my 2010 I had the dreaded wobble occur At 40 mph. Since I had the wheel put in by a 3rd party vender they didn't think it was a big issue. So I took to the dealer to have them test ride and look at it.

2 things were wrong. The swing on the steering was off which they adjusted, and the new metzler tire was cupped.
The swing was adjusted and tire was replaced with a new Dunlop. Bike handles perfect now. No vibes!

It seems that some dealers know about the steering adjustments and some don't. Meridian HD in Mississippi is fully aware of the vibration issue!

www.Roadglide.org