Question on Greasing the Steering Head Bearing - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Do-IT-Yourself

Do-IT-Yourself For all those Do-it-yourself ideas that will save you some bucks

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teagatron3000 View Post
Got it done last night. Was a one beer job. Real simple. Having the battery operated grease gun made it sweet. Just hooked it up and pulled the trigger. Kept checking around the top and bottom of the steering neck for grease to come out. I should be good to go.
TEAG
Please follow up after a while and let us know if you see any gobs of grease oozoi out days, weeks or months later. i think you were lucky scoring an electric grease gun with a full tube. Pump away! When you see grease starting to ooze out giver a few more to be sure you pushed all new grease through those bearings. You may never have to lube again considering what moco factory ships them out like.

I can not find a nipple on my '05. Any suggestions?

enjoy the ride
HRD

Hotrodad and his 2005 FLTRi, Black Pearl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodad View Post
TEAG

enjoy the ride
HRD
According to the parts diagram, item number 40 should be there on the left side of the frame in the neck of the steering. Since they don't always grease the bearings, maybe the assembler figured you did not need one

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....D--JIFFY-STAND
2012 RGU / Big Blue Pearl / Woods TW222 Cams / Fuel Moto Ceramic 2-1-2 Headpipe / Fuel Moto 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers / Fuel Moto Stage 1 A/C / Power Vision Tuner / Heritage Bars / Seat Mod by MCC /Rider and Passenger Bead Riders / BAL Tail Light / 12" & 14" Windvest / Sancho's wings / Iron Aces Phone Mount / Rear Fascia Upgrade / Avon Grips / Mean Mug by Gas Capital Customs
Old 11-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Life Member

I used Lucas Red and Tacky about 5k miles ago - no mess whatsoever even after my 2300 mile Sturgis trip. On a side note, I pumped quite a bit but could never get it to squeeze out from the top bearing ... just kept coming out from the bottom. Anyone else have this issue?

2011 FLTRX 103

VH Dresser Duals | Klock Werks SS | HD Ventilator | Power Vision | Santees 11in Apes | CB SSC Euro 15in
Old 11-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Shock View Post
I used Lucas Red and Tacky about 5k miles ago - no mess whatsoever even after my 2300 mile Sturgis trip. On a side note, I pumped quite a bit but could never get it to squeeze out from the top bearing ... just kept coming out from the bottom. Anyone else have this issue?
You can sometimes take a piece of rope or thicker gauge wire and wrap it tightly around the bottom bearing gap, closing the gap, and it will force the grease up to the top bearing.
2012 RGU / Big Blue Pearl / Woods TW222 Cams / Fuel Moto Ceramic 2-1-2 Headpipe / Fuel Moto 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers / Fuel Moto Stage 1 A/C / Power Vision Tuner / Heritage Bars / Seat Mod by MCC /Rider and Passenger Bead Riders / BAL Tail Light / 12" & 14" Windvest / Sancho's wings / Iron Aces Phone Mount / Rear Fascia Upgrade / Avon Grips / Mean Mug by Gas Capital Customs
Old 11-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Grey beard

What, wheres the Amsoil guys. Surprised they aren't jumping in here claiming how your steering will lockup and the bearings will seize if you use anything but their grease.

Pick your favorite color of grease and squirt it in there till it oozes out of the upper and lower cups. You'll have to wipe it off a few times after some riding but that perfectly normal.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Life Member

Thanks, Triplej. I actually tried something similar with rolled up paper towels -had it stuffed all the way around nice and tight but the grease still found it's way out. I'll try the rope next time.

2011 FLTRX 103

VH Dresser Duals | Klock Werks SS | HD Ventilator | Power Vision | Santees 11in Apes | CB SSC Euro 15in
Old 11-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmd View Post
What, wheres the Amsoil guys. Surprised they aren't jumping in here claiming how your steering will lockup and the bearings will seize if you use anything but their grease.

Pick your favorite color of grease and squirt it in there till it oozes out of the upper and lower cups. You'll have to wipe it off a few times after some riding but that perfectly normal.
The steering head bearings locked up on my last bike when I put Amsoil in the Tranny, WTF??
Old 11-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodad View Post

enjoy the ride
HRD
Look under the bracket that's holding up the fairing, on left side. I took a grinder to the bracket for clearance and put a 90 degree fitting on there... no way you could get to it without some very low profile special fitting. (if at all).

And I'm not one who believes any grease is good grease. Some greases don't work as well in a hammering non-rotating timken. Harley had neck bearings failing at low mileage and great deal of regularity with the Springer front end (not same as ours obviously), but after a change in grease they were able to get that problem under control. I believe there was a harley internal tech note for it too. Want to say this was late 90's. Call me stubborn... but the HD branded grease is all I've ever used since.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Shock View Post
I had the opposite problem with the grease coming out of the top but not the bottom.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teagatron3000 View Post
Got it done last night. Was a one beer job. Real simple. Having the battery operated grease gun made it sweet. Just hooked it up and pulled the trigger. Kept checking around the top and bottom of the steering neck for grease to come out. I should be good to go.
You just might be the first guy on this forum who, although not discharging a firearm, pulled the trigger without purchasing a single thing. Congratulations!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.