Tire problem - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures

*General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Grey beard

Unhappy Tire problem

So here it is , I kknow that some of you really know your stuff on tires. I was washing and waxing my bike, which I do a lot of, and noticed a proble. One reson to do the washing and waxing, inspection time. Anyway, I noticed the tire has a split in the side wall in the lettering area that runs parallel to the bead and the tread. I am taking it to the dealer this weekend to have them replace this tire. I know that it should not be doing this. Sorry no pics. The crack is three of four inches long. Not real deep but I can get my finger nail in there and it is a 16th of an inch or so. Just wondering why it would do that. They are the dunlops for the CVO, harder tread in the center and softer on the sides 407/408. I only have about 10,000 miles on them. Put them on new before my cross country trip. I do have to take a close look at the rear to see if it is doing it too. The tires that came on the bike, I got 20,000 miles on them and they were great, so I got the same ones, not so sure right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Life Member

There has been ongoing issues with the Dunlops doing that. Take a look in the wheel section and you will find some threads on the issue. Should be something the dealer would warranty but with the mileage you have on them you may have to push a little to get it done under warranty. Let us know how the dealer handles it.
2012 RGU / Big Blue Pearl / Woods TW222 Cams / Fuel Moto Ceramic 2-1-2 Headpipe / Fuel Moto 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers / Fuel Moto Stage 1 A/C / Power Vision Tuner / Heritage Bars / Seat Mod by MCC /Rider and Passenger Bead Riders / BAL Tail Light / 12" & 14" Windvest / Sancho's wings / Iron Aces Phone Mount / Rear Fascia Upgrade / Avon Grips / Mean Mug by Gas Capital Customs
Old 11-06-2012, 01:23 AM
Life Member

Seemed to happen to alot of 2010/2011 model year bikes' OEM rubber. You'd think by now Dunlop would of corrected this issue.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:56 AM
Grey beard

I purchased five tires for my Ultra from a dealer that closed ~ the tires mfr date was within the six year period required by Dunlop. Put on one of the fronts and within 500 miles the sidewall is cracking ~ called Dunlop to no avail ~ called the local boutique and spoke with the service director and he warranted...
2012 FLTRXSE Skunk S&S 124/HPI 66, PCV w A/T ~ Chopped Tour Pack, Lowers, 11" Tinted MadStad, S&S Power Tune Duals Jet Hot Black, Daymaker LED's, Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector, Fork Baffle, Pro 940's & Pro Monotubes, Baker DD7, Zumo 660, Vulcanworks Solid Sproket, Barnett Scorpion, Jaggs 10 Row oil Cooler w/Fan.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:27 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltreagle View Post
They are the dunlops for the CVO, harder tread in the center and softer on the sides 407/408.
the multicompound tread is on the rear tire, not the front.

if your tire is not worn out, then it should be warranted. my dealer told me that if the tire did this at any time during it's llifecycle, it would be replaced. however, it would be prorated. if 25% tread left, then a 25% credit.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Prospect

I have really wanted to stay with Dunlops as they are the only tire made in the USA, I've been though all the "issues" concerning these tries since their introduction in 09 with the reversed tread issue cupping etc. I have had TWO sets replaced at no cost,.......etc.however stories like these continue, the only reason I have not changed to this point is Michelin has, as yet, not made set to fit my CVO 09, otherwise I would have switched by now.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltreagle View Post
The tires that came on the bike, I got 20,000 miles on them and they were great, so I got the same ones, not so sure right now.
My current bike is a 2012 FLTRX, and have had no issues with cracks or such, with about 11K miles on the OEM set of tires. My prior bike was a 2009 FLHRC, and I went through three sets of Dunlop tires in three seasons - none achieving more tread life than 12K miles. I had a defect in the last front tire I had replaced on the Road King - odd vibration at various speeds that couldn't be corrected. The dealer tried everything, except changing the tire, over the course of a couple months. I finally told them to replace the tire on my dime, as my safety is worth a couple hundred bucks - to me anyway. They deciced to replace the tire for no cost - as they should have - even though I had several thousand miles on it.

That said; whatever you're doing to get your tires to last 20K, keep doing it.

2012 FLTRX BBP, lowers, monotubes, 444 shocks, Rush True Duals & Big Louie slipons, PV tuner, etc..
Old 11-07-2012, 07:14 AM
Grey beard

I recently replaced my Dunlops with Michelin Commander II's. 16,000 miles on Dunlops, lots of tread left and no issues, but I like the feel (?) of the Michelin's better-they don't seem to "walk" on cracks and bumps. I think the new tires were way too pricey, though. Around $400 for the two tires + $200 mount and balance (HD dealer). I realize we're talking fundamental safety on tires (and yes, I'm at least a little Harley Stupid), but you can get two full size, all-weather Michelins (with twice the rubber and twice the mileage) mounted on an SUV for six hundred bucks. Obviously it's a different design for a different market, but is it wrong to make this kind of basic observation/comparison?

_________

"Help Put An End to Women's Suffrage!"
Old 11-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Prospect

Thumbs down

My problem is the 09CVO RG..... FLTRSE3 uses
130/70b18
180/55b18

these tires are not used on the other 09 Screaming eagle bikes, or other 09s.

In fact I just got a return call from Michelin, they will be releasing new tries sizes in spring of 13 but it is unknown at this time if these sizes will be in those new sizes. So I now fully understand why Dunlop can continue to sell these tires that have after 4 years continue to have problems, Michelin to this point has no replacement. If & when that day comes Dunlop is history. (Why is the only USA made tire having so much problems with no corrective action????)

Next time tire size & availabity will be factored in prior to purchasing a new bike.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Grey beard

Headed to Mobile tomorrow for my 3rd front tire. Current tire date is 1012 (10th week 2012).
Sundowner seat
Dobeck EJK
Chrome forks
Heritage bars
ISO grips
Cat free head pipes
SE Stage 2 breather
SE 255 cams
Rivera Taper Lite Pushrods
Tour pack
CB radio
More mods to come