The 117 build has started. - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Engine Related

Engine Related Engine Builds and more for Road Glides

Sponsored by Drago's Bike Works

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-05-2012, 02:42 PM

Default The 117 build has started.

Since yesterday was a typical gloomy NW kinda day, I decided to start on the 117.

The cases were split and cleaned along with removing the oil squirters and
looking for any machining chips left behind. Those got reinstalled with a small drop of Lock Tite on the screws.
The Dark Horse flywheel assembly was then cleaned and slipped into the pinion half of the case. 3 Bond gray sealant was applied to the primary case face and then installed onto the pinion half of the case.
All 9 case bolts were then torqued to the service manual specs.
I then mounted the case to the engine stand and checked both pinion and primary shaft run out. Both sides have .001 in. TIR.

Thats it for now.
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...g?t=1352149078

Last edited by Mike Jesse; 11-05-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Life Member

This is what scares me. You were at 106HP & 118TQ before and now your going bigger. I just finished installing a 107" kit & cams and I'm thrilled with the first 250 miles. Am I gonna end up wanting more? What kind of numbers are you expecting with the 117"?
Old 11-05-2012, 10:49 PM

Are you going to run the same heads? How about the exhaust?
Very interested in this build. Keep us posted!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullhorr View Post
This is what scares me. You were at 106HP & 118TQ before and now your going bigger. I just finished installing a 107" kit & cams and I'm thrilled with the first 250 miles. Am I gonna end up wanting more? What kind of numbers are you expecting with the 117"?
I hope it will make 120-125 hp and 130 torque.
Anymore than that is just icing on the cake.

I ate a little crow on the 107. I was hoping for 112-115 hp and 120 torque.

My 107 runs super, but there's this little guy that always sits on my shoulder
and whispers more MORE.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:33 AM
Grey beard

I think your estimate is very realistic ~ I rode the owners bike of oasiscycles in Brandon, MS over a weekend ~ I did 1000 miles ~ they have a dyno room and that Ultra was 128/132 with a 117. Plenty of low end torque ~ I never rolled it over 4k .....
2012 FLTRXSE Skunk S&S 124/HPI 66, PCV w A/T ~ Chopped Tour Pack, Lowers, 11" Tinted MadStad, S&S Power Tune Duals Jet Hot Black, Daymaker LED's, Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector, Fork Baffle, Pro 940's & Pro Monotubes, Baker DD7, Zumo 660, Vulcanworks Solid Sproket, Barnett Scorpion, Jaggs 10 Row oil Cooler w/Fan.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganRider View Post
Are you going to run the same heads? How about the exhaust?
Very interested in this build. Keep us posted!
Nope. I have a set of heads that Dan Baisley converted to his Pro Street specs.
I had him pick the cam and set the compression also.

T-man 662-1's and 10.8 comp.

I'm going to use a V/H Power Dual head pipe with a pair of Crusher Mellows and see how that works out. If not, I'll stick with the D&D Fat Cat.

When it's done I'll take it up to Russel at Lonewolf Performance and let him tune it.

We shall see.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchdm View Post
I think your estimate is very realistic ~ I rode the owners bike of oasiscycles in Brandon, MS over a weekend ~ I did 1000 miles ~ they have a dyno room and that Ultra was 128/132 with a 117. Plenty of low end torque ~ I never rolled it over 4k .....
That's what I'd really like to end up at.

Russels dyno is conservative.

Do you know any of the build details of that engine?
Old 11-06-2012, 04:16 AM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jesse View Post
That's what I'd really like to end up at.

Russels dyno is conservative.

Do you know any of the build details of that engine?
Not at all ~ the website is oasiscycles.com and Mark or Phillip can tell you about it. My understanding is that it was a low compression build ~ They do alot of custom builds and have three separate buildings on the property. Full blown side draft paint room, one is the shop which has a dyno room at one end of the building and the third is used to garage cool bikes and cars. The bike was set up for low end torque/touring. What you've done so far looks awesome ~ I am going to do some minor mods to my 110 but the dealer already changed a few things (his personal bike). Oasis did install the feuling camplate/oilpump/ and 777's for me in addition to a baker manaul primary chain adjuster on my 10 Ultra LTD with 70k on the clock. I was very happy with their work ~ Mark has a steet glide that is REALLY built ~ a 127 I think ~ they are very knowledgeable ~ I live in FL but will ride the 700 miles to let them do my Baker DD7....
2012 FLTRXSE Skunk S&S 124/HPI 66, PCV w A/T ~ Chopped Tour Pack, Lowers, 11" Tinted MadStad, S&S Power Tune Duals Jet Hot Black, Daymaker LED's, Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector, Fork Baffle, Pro 940's & Pro Monotubes, Baker DD7, Zumo 660, Vulcanworks Solid Sproket, Barnett Scorpion, Jaggs 10 Row oil Cooler w/Fan.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchdm View Post
Not at all ~ the website is oasiscycles.com and Mark or Phillip can tell you about it. My understanding is that it was a low compression build ~ They do alot of custom builds and have three separate buildings on the property. Full blown side draft paint room, one is the shop which has a dyno room at one end of the building and the third is used to garage cool bikes and cars. The bike was set up for low end torque/touring. What you've done so far looks awesome ~ I am going to do some minor mods to my 110 but the dealer already changed a few things (his personal bike). Oasis did install the feuling camplate/oilpump/ and 777's for me in addition to a baker manaul primary chain adjuster on my 10 Ultra LTD with 70k on the clock. I was very happy with their work ~ Mark has a steet glide that is REALLY built ~ a 127 I think ~ they are very knowledgeable ~ I live in FL but will ride the 700 miles to let them do my Baker DD7....
That Baker manual adjuster is on my list.

Last edited by Mike Jesse; 11-06-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:42 AM
Grey beard

I went through 4 SE Compensators on the 10 and figured I would give this a try ~ I am going to add the aim-tamachi louckout also.... I'll let you know how I like the DD7 ~ I figured I'll be keeping this bike alot longer than the 71k on the 10 or the 93k I had on the six, so why not. Plan on runnin a hundred k or so (3 years) and then doin a 117 or 120r ~ Have plenty of time & miles to decide ~ good luck with yours ~ can't wait to see the end results.
SemperFi