Bike Lifts - Looking for Advice - Page 4 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Do-IT-Yourself

Do-IT-Yourself For all those Do-it-yourself ideas that will save you some bucks

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-06-2012, 08:25 AM
Hangaround

Hard to beat a table lift for stability and safety. This Handy came off of Craigslist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012_1027Toyz0004.jpg (94.7 KB, 245 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 01:50 PM

+1 on handy lift
Old 04-14-2013, 10:30 AM
Hangaround

Default Direct Lift Pro Cycle DT

Best money I've spent. Haven't had the RG on it yet but I'm sure it'll be fine. It is too heavy to move around but does go low enough to park my truck over it if I need to. Had it for about 3 years now.....

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Di...t-Pro-Cycle-DT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 337605_2925661374684_1778847770_o.jpg (88.5 KB, 155 views)

2013 FLTRU Midnight Pearl, 12" WO502 Apes, 12" LRS Mako, Monotubes, 944's, Rush pipes with 4" Rineharts, SE Highflow Filter.....
Shorewood, IL.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
How stable are the sears, harbor freight lifts with the bike on them. The footprint seems small 32" x 15". Thanks for your help..
For reference, I finally bought a lift a few days ago. Sears 950191. Internet price $179, in store price $199 but the salesman matched the $179 Internet price. Very stable. Aluminum, 42 lbs, no assembly required. I am not a die hard (no pun intended) Sears buyer but I have been very satisfied with everything I have ever bought from Sears. Sears also has a cheaper model but the reviews were not so favorful on the cheaper model. Sure makes it a lot easier moving the RG around my side of the garage when my wife's vehicle is in the garage.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 AM
Life Member

Is that the yellow one or the red one ? I've wondered about getting the yellow one just to wash my bike with. The red jacks have been a dissapiuntment to me and returned all of them. Looking for an in ground jack if I can.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:59 AM
Hangaround

Default Harbor freight

Got one at Harbor Freight for around 300 bucks added a wheel chock for 39.00 works great
2010 RG S&S Super Stock Heads Ported Polished S&S Easy Start Cams 551 Lift Fueling Lifters S&S Pushrods 2 Into 1 Jackpot Headers Stage 1 Skull Air Box ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX AUTO TUNE Lowered 2" 100% Disabled Viet Nam Vet 1966 1967
Old 04-30-2013, 11:52 PM

If this helps, then it helps. I bought a bike lift from Sam's Warehouse back in 2001 a little after I had bought my first Harley. I changed out the stock bolts for Grade-8 bolts that were made in USA (China bolts at that time sucked, still do not trust those originating there on my normal job). I used the snot out of that lift and even lifted my bike with my wife sitting on it. Original bike was a Fat Boy.

I have never had my old bike as much as wiggle when up on that lift, and it let me check tires and do any wheel removal when I needed to haul a new tire and the old tire/wheel to the dealership when I needed a new tire.

I put my new Road Glide Custom up on the same lift two weekends ago with two ratcheting straps helping to hold it steady. Lift worked like a champ ad did not have a problem hoisting the glide up in the air. It gave me plenty of room to change out my primary cover and do some fiddling up underneath my tank with spark plug wires. I had to take oe of both straps to loose at a couple of times, but did not have any trouble with stability as long as I kept one strap tight (for my sanity and bike safety) (only had to do that to change out primary cover).

I'm not sure if Sam's still sells the same bike lift, but the $110 I spent initially plus the extra $20 for grade-8 bolts let me save quite a bit on shop labor as I could do a lot of maintenance myself.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Prospect

+1 on J&S Jacks. Had mine up on the lift since last fall (still working on it - and it's killing me given the incredible weather this week). I can move it around the garage on the stand no problem. Check YouTube if you want a center lift. There's a great video comparing the J&S, Pitbull and Harbor Freight center lifts. That's what sold me. The Pitbull is really low profile, but if your garage floor isn't level - it'll get caught and not move as easily. J&S has a bit more ground clearance and is just as rock solid IMHO. I've pushed, pulled, dragged, climbed on my bike while on the stand without a single tie down to the lift. Total peace of mind with that jack.

Good luck,
G

Those white lines are just Road Chum ... and my Shark is HUNGRY!
Old 06-10-2013, 02:56 PM

1+ on J & S. I have a Larin & while it lifted the Dyna fine the RGU was just too tippy.
Ordered Tues & here last Thur.
I use it daily to spin the bike around.
I've made a few "improvements". I drilled the T handle & the T handle receiver so I can drop a clevis pin / a keeper on & then the handle is a rigid mount where I lean down & push the jack up on the back pivoting caster for very easy movement. I also have drilled & tapped a(1/4 - 20) hole through the mounting pod the casters are on and will be running a 1/4 -20 bolt out that hole with a rubber fender washer against the housing so that I can secure the T handle in a upright secure storage position when not in use. I'll use a 1/4 - 20 wing nut over a steel over a rubber fender washers. I don't know if I would use this mount of the T handle to try to move the lift around with the bike on it. I guess I'll have to finish the tapping / wing nut to see how strong it is & then decide.
B.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:30 PM
Life Member

I'm in the market for a table lift.
'13 Blk RGC crs/abs/sec 103 Stg2 255cam-plus D&D Boss Fatcat SE Super Tuner. Klockwerks 12", Blk 10"Chubby w/Blk Get-A-Grips. Skunked Day Maker. CD GEN2001157Amber/Wht Front & Red Rear Smoke Lens w/Magic Strobe & bits more, Always a WIP