Harley's 3 pc. windshield trim won't fit - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Windshields

Windshields Windshields for Road Glides
Sponsored by: Glide Air Deflector Systems

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Hangaround

Been there , done that and you are 100% right on B**** . makes pulling and installing fairing a snap, But when you have to try many shield to get one that is right this chore starts to get easier each time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Life Member

I tried one of these on my 2011 CVO RGU. Damn hole patterns are slightly different. I had a KW flare, a WV and the stock HD shield. Couldn't get the damn thing on to save my life with any of the shields. Looking it up on the MoCo's website (after the fact) it states that it will not fit the FLTRUSE. Parts man had no issues refunding my $$.

On a side note, going to CB's website browsing for a new shield, it ask for the measurements between the 2 outside holes for an accurate fit. Seems like they're the only ones so far that have caught on to it.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:39 AM
Hangaround

When I purchased my bike I purchased the trim and the sales dept. said they would install it. Well after 4 salesmen and 7 hours later they had to get tech. to install it and it took him over an hour BUT I have changed the shield about 5 times and now it goes on easy the holes are starting to get longer. BUT still can't get the ends to lay flat on cowling . You are right they look good but a P O S
Old 12-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Life Member

WTF!!! I guess when you buy HD parts "OFFSET BOLTS" are a common part. Why make the holes line-up when HD has those "OFFSET BOLTS"
Old 12-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Blue View Post
I have a Windvest shield, and my trim went on in 10 minutes, no problems, no hassels. I've always wondered what factor it is exactly that causes some people to have the hardest time.
I had no problem installing my trim kit. I had the stock windshield when i first got the kit. I just followed the instructions. I had to adjust the off set screw holes a couple of times. But when they were set correctly, the holes lined up and the screws went in and tightened up correctly.

I changed my windshield twice. I went from the stock shield to a Klock Werks 16" and then to the Klock Werks 12" windshield. Each time I just made sure the off set screw mounts were in the same position and the trim went back in place easily. I even had to replace the outer fairing. Each time I removed the trim, I just made sure the mounts were in the same position. The only problem I found was the rubber under the chrome. It was old and I had to make sure I was careful with it. I never had the trim damage the paint. I just made sure there was rubber under the trim and not bunched up.
Trim with the stock windshield

Trim with new fairing and 12" Klock Werks Windshield.

Vietnam Veteran, PGR, Widow's Son, "lIgh tlhab" (Ride Free)
Old 12-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Life Member

I've had mine on and off a few times, definitely a PITA the first few times, gets easier. I can see how they'd cause paint damage. Mine's off now, slows down a windshield switch out. Oh, and don't lose those tiny screws, or washers, finding replacements are difficult and it always seems to be the very last one the night before you're going on a long ride the next day. Ask me how I know.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:18 PM

Well...i JUST finished installing my new windsplitter windshield along with the HD chrone trim. My bike is a 2013 RGC and i had absolutely no issues with the install. I followed the instructions to a "T" and it all went together like clockwork. Maybe i just got a good one...who knows. Once i got to installing the chrome pieces,i got all the screws started (but not tight)...i then started tightening with the centre screw and worked my way out to the ends making sure the moulding stayed nice and tight to both the windshield and fairing. The only complaint i do have is the fact that the "ROADGLIDE" emblem is held on with 2 pieces of heavy velcro....come on HD...seriously!?!?
Old 01-06-2013, 12:17 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider1 View Post
Well...i JUST finished installing my new windsplitter windshield along with the HD chrone trim.
My bike is a 2013 RGC and i had absolutely no issues with the install. I followed the instructions to a "T"
and it all went together like clockwork. Maybe i just got a good one...who knows. Once i got to installing the chrome
pieces, I got all the screws started (but not tight)...i then started tightening with the centre screw and worked my way
out to the ends making sure the moulding stayed nice and tight to both the windshield and fairing. The only complaint I
do have is the fact that the "ROADGLIDE" emblem is held on with 2 pieces of heavy velcro....come on HD...seriously!?!?
You did what I did, but it appears most don't.

Vietnam Veteran, PGR, Widow's Son, "lIgh tlhab" (Ride Free)
Old 01-06-2013, 07:35 AM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill View Post
I bought and installed x-trim's trim for the windshield and it's better than the stock one that keeps falling down but it leaves a gap between the fairing and the shield that I don't particularly care for. So I went and bought HD's 3 piece in black - don't remember the part number. The holes don't line up!!! You're given little screws that are only about 1/4" long to try to angle in and grab a thread - no f'n way it'll work right. They give you a couple of offset screws to use in case it doesn't line up but even those didn't work. The holes are off by a good 1/8"-1/4".

I paid $140 for the trim! I called the dealer and was told "Yeah, it will go on but it's a bitch." I was in the truck/auto parts biz for over 30 years and we called parts where the holes didn't line up defective. Harley just calls 'em hard to install. The service writer told me to bring the bike in and it would be an hour's labor charge to put it on. Why would anyone do that and then have the problem every time they changed a windshield at home. Add that $90 labor charge to the original purchase price, and it gets even more ridiculous. I'm taking the shit back and am getting tired of the "sort of comes close to being right" shit for parts Harley sells.
I can't beleive the response from the dealer. I hope that you bought it with your credit card. Just dispute the charge and return the product. Hopefully, it will show them a lesson
Old 02-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Hangaround

Default Re: Harley's 3 pc. windshield trim won't fit

Is that KW windshield clear or light tint?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Motorcycle.com Free App
Kuryakin adjustable passenger pegs
Adjustable rider backrest, CVO Wind deflectors
Floorboard extensions, Saddlebag crash bars
...I have'nt even got to the good stuff yet...