Black saddlebag guards - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Equipment-RG

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-04-2012, 12:33 AM
Grey beard

I don't remember where I saw it,I think there's a thread on it here,where someone cut off the lower supports and made an adapter to bolt to the black saddlebag guards.

That will be my plan if I decide to get the black guards.

Hopefully the author of that thread will see this and post a link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Hangaround

Default Rear crash bar mod

'twas meself, it was. But they were chrome guards, not black, although the process is the same.

Here's the thread.

http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=20916

A couple of people priced out the adapters at their local machine shops and got quotes of $30-50. If you're handy with a welder you can make them without a lathe by welding a piece of 1/2" to a piece of 3/4" steel. If you are going to powdercoat the whole thing anyhow you can just butt weld a piece of 3/4" to the saddlebag support and grind it smooth.

There are a number of possibilities. I'm just sharing the general idea.

Good luck

Old 11-06-2012, 02:50 PM

[QUOTE=DrBob;323050]Hey everyone. I just traded in my Street Glide for a Road Glide Ultra and it's great. On my SG, I added chrome saddlebag guards that come in a kit from HD for about $219. The kit included everything you need for the install--guards, support rails and nuts & bolts. Took about 1 hour to put on both sides. So what's the problem you ask?
I decided to put black saddlebag guards on my new RG. HD says the kit in black is only $189, which made sense to me because they are not chromed and only painted, not powdercoated. Not so fast! If you buy the black "kit," it turns out that it's not a complete kit at all. You also have to buy separately the left and right support rails @ $98 EACH! So the total kit in chrome is $219 and the total kit in black paint is $386!!!
YGBSM! Had anybody else noticed this? Is there a way around this problem? Because as it now stands, I'm going to buy the chrome kit with all the parts and go get the chrome guards (the only part that's chrome in the whole kit) powdercoated black.

Am I missing something here or does HD think we're all stupid?

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Yep, thats what I found. Bought the chrome kit and had everything powder coated. Saved a bunch. Did the same for the engine guards and everything else I blacked on the bike . With HD its cheaper to buy chrome and cowder coat than to buy black
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bag guards.jpg (39.2 KB, 29 views)
2011 FLTRX, 103 Power Pak, Stage 1 with Power Vision and V & H Power Duals, SE A/C, Cee Bailey TRSSC 15", Progressive 940 rear,Mono Tubes Front, C & C Fastback Seat and some extras in black here and there

Previous HDs
2005 Annv FLSTFI, Stage II 95 kit, lowered 2" - SOLD
2004 Road King Custom - SOLD
2004 Sportster 1200 r, Stage 1 - SOLD

Tags
black , chrome , guards , saddlebag