BLack Exhaust question - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Intake and Exhaust

Intake and Exhaust Intake and Exhaust Systems for Road Glides
Sponsored by: Cobra

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Prospect

Default BLack Exhaust question

I was talked out of purchasing a black exhaust system because if its discoloration after a while . I was told the black will actually turn into a muddy grayish color.

I'm really so tired of polishing chrome.... I still have my heart set on a pair of blackened ceramic pipes . I have never read on this forum any complaints of this "graying" of black pipes. Is there any truth to that.?

Also, is it just the shields that are Black or do some manufacturers actually have Black Pipes along with the black heat shields.?

2013 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
2005 FLSTF Fat Boy
(Wife's but I ride it )

Last edited by Still Grumpy; 11-06-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Life Member

Depends on the manufacturer but yes there are plenty of black pipes that are not just heat shields. I personally have not heard of the discoloring concern but i could see where it could come from if the pipes are not treated properly, both inside and out. Dragos, Basani, V & H all have black pipes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

Old 11-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Engine Expert

Our black pipes are Poweder Coated heat shields. And we raise the heat shields 3 mm above the the pipe so they dont discolorartion and the ceramic keep the heat in side where it belongs.

Muffler bodys are Power Coated also and inside they are lined. To help them from changing color.
PRO-CHARGER--TRASK TURBO--DBW DRAGULA 2;1 EXHAUST--DBW SUPERCHARGE SERIES EXHAUST--RUSH EXHAUST--HAWG WIRED--AIM CLUTCH--FEULING--POWER COMMANDER--THUNDER MAX--TTS MASTERTUNE--95" 135"ENGINE BUILDS & KITS--CNC HEAD WORK- DBW CRANK WORK-- DARKHORSE CRANK WORK--REVOLUTION PERFROMANCE--TMAN CAMS--DYNO TUNING-- BUILDS FROM 75 HP TO 600 HP

New logo by Chainsaw Graphics.
Drago's Bike Works 815-765-1790
www.dragosbikeworks.com
Old 11-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Grey beard

I run a D&D fatcat on mY dyna. It has been on for about 7000 miles so far and looks as good as it did new. I had a TH on it prior and that turned a terrible brown color in about two days and then the exhaust bracket broke. On the V&H I think it depends ont eh system you get. I have seen their 2 into 1 comp series turn very brown as well but the big shot longs I have seen in perfect black after many miles.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Life Member

I have a friend that has a Vance and Hines Pro Pipe on his 2010 WG. It is several different shades of what used to be black. We talked to V&H at Sturgis, they said the would make it right if he shipped it to them, and paid for shipping back.

I run the Bub 7 and have discoloration on the rear pipe underneath in front of the rear tire, but the rest of the head shields, pipes and mufflers are fine. Should mention I have 48K miles on them.

Trailers are for Boats!!

Last edited by mmcmsw; 11-25-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:52 PM

I've noticed that a lot of the manufacturers will only waranty their chrome exhaust systems not the black.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:30 PM

I have the V&H Power Duals and Hi Outputs. I have put 10K+ miles on mine and I have no discoloration issues. I would expect that you could hit them with High Temp black paint it you needed to, but so far it hasn't been an issue for me.

2012 FLTRU
110cid w/V&H Power Duals/Hi-Output, HD Heavy Breather, HD Race Tuner, J&M Rokker Series Front/Rear w/500w amp
2005 VN2000
125cid w/V&H Powershots and PC III. 116+ hp, 140+ lbs/ft torque. FOR SALE
1962 XLCH
Full on Custom Chopper w/many one-off parts.

Last edited by Stick_FSMC; 11-07-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Life Member

I've noticed that a black pipe won't keep it's luster like when new. The front of my Dragula muffler turned a little chalky. I picked up some of the s100 engine brightner in the orange can and put on it. Since then it looks great and hasn't wore off.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:26 PM

Drago's pipes are built to stay black, I have his pipes on my bike, they are darker and glossier black than any other company! the heatshields are fully powdercoated and sit away enough off the pipe where I believe they wont ever discolor! I've also had V&H big radius 2 in 2 on my previous dyna with a built motor, had the black pipes on for over 20K without turning color. tho it did fade just a slight tad bit, but nothing that you'd ever notice by far! Go with black ,and chrome is easy to polish! Use WINDEX, will get all the greese off the chrome pipes and won't leave a streak or smudge behind!
Old 11-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Hangaround

Default Rush Black pipes

I've had Rush true dualls on mine over 10k and no issues.