Fisrt trouble with a HD ever! - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures

*General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Hangaround

Default Fisrt trouble with a HD ever!

I am just shy of 5K on my 12 RGC CVO. I rode it every day in the past two weeks. Two days ago the cruise would drop out at about a mile. I did this several times then finally stayed on. Yesterday the check engine light came on and the cruise went out and would not work again.

My route today took me past the dealer so I pulled in to schedule bringing it in. The service writer said they would look at it right then. The tech said he read the code for the Cruise but no code to explain the check engine light. He cleared the cruise code and pulled the connector to the injector body and reconnected it. He did a test ride. The cruise worked and the check engine light did not come back on. Told me if it comes back on call and set up an appointment to dig in further and they would check with HD.

I was there about 45 minutes had a cup of coffee, two donuts and looked at bikes and spent $60 on some rain tog thingy's. Finished the ride about an hour later and everything worked fine.

Mayber HD's just fix themselves.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:58 AM

Your prob. was much easier than my 1st prob. July 10th is when I took delivery of my new 12 road glide custom, roughly 13 days later and 1300 miles the motor siezed while I was riding. After only owning the bike for 13 days the dealer had it under warranty work for 16 days, I was far pissed I must say because harley doesnt expodite or express mail warr parts needed. The cam plate bolt was never thread locked from the assembly line and backed out, made contact with the timing cover plate which locked the motor up. Caused some damage to timing cover but the dealer warr. pushrods, cam's, timing plate cover, gaskets and labor. When asked to come in and look at the bike when the finall figured out what happend after the 2nd I had screaming eagle cams' installed for free of charge. Kind of worked out in my benefit actually, didn't have to pay for the adj. pushrods or anything! Def. woke the bike up and ran cooler too. But I was just pissed on how Harley took thier sweet ass time to getting the dealer the parts needed. All good now.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Hangaround

I had a fuel pump go bad on a Deuce that I owned. H-D overnight shipped it, arrived next day and repairs completed under extended ESP plan. I had to pay the approximate 50 dollar fee to overnight the part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taccone View Post
Your prob. was much easier than my 1st prob. July 10th is when I took delivery of my new 12 road glide custom, roughly 13 days later and 1300 miles the motor siezed while I was riding. After only owning the bike for 13 days the dealer had it under warranty work for 16 days, I was far pissed I must say because harley doesnt expodite or express mail warr parts needed. The cam plate bolt was never thread locked from the assembly line and backed out, made contact with the timing cover plate which locked the motor up. Caused some damage to timing cover but the dealer warr. pushrods, cam's, timing plate cover, gaskets and labor. When asked to come in and look at the bike when the finall figured out what happend after the 2nd I had screaming eagle cams' installed for free of charge. Kind of worked out in my benefit actually, didn't have to pay for the adj. pushrods or anything! Def. woke the bike up and ran cooler too. But I was just pissed on how Harley took thier sweet ass time to getting the dealer the parts needed. All good now.

I am interested in some cams. Been getting some real good mileage out of my bike 45+. Did your cams change your mileage much?

1998 Suzuki 1500 Wifes
2001 Suzuki 1500 Mine
2003 Goldwing Mine
2008 Goldwing Wifes
2009 Roadglide :>)
Old 11-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngshop View Post
I had a fuel pump go bad on a Deuce that I owned. H-D overnight shipped it, arrived next day and repairs completed under extended ESP plan. I had to pay the approximate 50 dollar fee to overnight the part.
ESP has a $50.00 deductible.
Sundowner seat
Dobeck EJK
Chrome forks
Heritage bars
ISO grips
Cat free head pipes
SE Stage 2 breather
SE 255 cams
Rivera Taper Lite Pushrods
Tour pack
CB radio
More mods to come

Old 11-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Hangaround

Redfish-Joe, that $50 for overnight shipping and another $50 for the ESP deductible.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh4x4 View Post
..... had a cup of coffee, two donuts and looked at bikes and spent $60 on some rain tog thingy's. Finished the ride about an hour later and everything worked fine.
....... something IS wrong here. You took an issue on your CVO to a dealer to fix & rode out w/o spending a Hundred Dollars ?
........... don't think i've ever heard of that before

'05 FLTRI, King Tour Pak, Vented Lowers, SG fender Fascia
Old 11-06-2012, 11:09 PM

Idaho, love the cam's getting same fuel mileage as you are now with factory cams. I get just shy of 50 when cruising on highway and usually average 43-44 ish and that's opening up the throttle to let her eat every now and then I had to use a screaming eagle cam for warr. purposes, but the SE254E cam has a wierd grind on the cam, instantly noticed a 30 degree temp drop in the motor so less heat is good, and pulls like a train from 1800-redline! I do have full exhaust and made the note louder with the cam's installed. tho I'm not complaining, odd tho seeing how I didn't bump up compression. Still the bike runs great, better than factory cams! Really woke up my 103! Only thing is you do get a lil chatter with camming any twin cam harley engine. I was never a fan of the 255 cams, made too much torque and dropped off wayyyyy to early in the rpms. I like to gas the bike and enjoy winding it out to redline now and then. So whatever cam you pick you'll def. be happy there are a wide variety and many people are happy with the diff. one's they've chose. I'm happy with the se254e cam's tho
Old 11-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Prospect

I had my cruise start dropping out on a trip I took to Orlando last year on my 2010 FLHTCU. When I got home, I took it to my dealer and they found a bad rear brake switch was shutting it off. It would momentarily detect the foot pedal depressed and shut off the cruise. That was maybe 2 weeks before the brake switch recall so that bike got 2 new rear brake switches in 2 weeks.
Added equipment was a stage 1 HD air cleaner, a Cee Baileys windshield and a turn out boot heel guard. I also went with the BAL1 tail light MOD. You can never be too safe with lighting. Now I am riding a Vision with minor mods to give me this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.