Beware moose in Maine - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Additional Related Discussions > Safety Area

Safety Area Issues and articles related to safety.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Life Member

Default game

I saw a bull Elk standing in the road in Wyoming one night, I just parked and waited for it to decide when were were gonna go again. That sucker was huge. Saw a moose on my road glide in NH. I had no idea they could stack meat that high!

Trailers are for Boats!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Shark of the Month October 13

Location: On the shore of a lake in the middle of nowhere with more moose than people for neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaf75 View Post
I had moose chili a few times. Very tasty
Geeze, I didn't realize Connecticut had a moose season ... or are they selling kosher moosemeat at Rein's Deli now?
Old 11-06-2012, 01:15 PM

Couple of other things about moose....

They are very dark in color so hard to see at night. Night time is a bad time in the summer or mating season.

They don't give a crap about anything. They will stand where they want for as long as they want until they decide they want to move.

Like a 1200 pound honey badger.

If you win a moose lottery in NH they strongly recommend you have a sub-permitee just in case you piss the moose off. They give you a list of pieces parts you have to bring back to be checked in so you don't have to drag it out in one piece. A lot of folks use a chain saw to get them out in moveable chunks.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Shark of the Month October 13

Location: On the shore of a lake in the middle of nowhere with more moose than people for neighbors.

I have had the good fortune to take part in 2 moose hunts here in Maine, both as a subpermitee, and all I can say is the minute the trigger is pulled all the fun is over and then a lot of hard work begins. Field dressing one of these critters is not for the weak of heart (or stomach!). Getting the gutted carcass out of the woods usually involves a chainsaw to clear a path so you can get a compact tractor or ATV in there to pull it out. Either that or you have to quarter the carcass and haul it out in pieces. On the plus side, it provides for a lot of good, non-gamey tasting meat for the freezers.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:00 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods_Maine View Post
I have had the good fortune to take part in 2 moose hunts here in Maine, both as a subpermitee, and all I can say is the minute the trigger is pulled all the fun is over and then a lot of hard work begins. Field dressing one of these critters is not for the weak of heart (or stomach!). Getting the gutted carcass out of the woods usually involves a chainsaw to clear a path so you can get a compact tractor or ATV in there to pull it out. Either that or you have to quarter the carcass and haul it out in pieces. On the plus side, it provides for a lot of good, non-gamey tasting meat for the freezers.
Aww, I don't have the stomach for that crap. I'll cook it once all the hard work is done though.. And eat it of course.