header without cat - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Intake and Exhaust

Intake and Exhaust Intake and Exhaust Systems for Road Glides
Sponsored by: Cobra

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo_shark View Post
wow,not sure if you are saying its for sale but would like it
send me a PM and I'll get a pic if you want,but yes,I'm planning to sell it.I have no use for it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Grumpy View Post
Chech out this seller on EBay..

dakvt

He has
the de-Cat stock headers for $140 shipped.

Here's a link : http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US
Did anybody tried out one of these ebay rebuilds headers? if yes how do did it perform?
2012 Vivid Black, FM Ceramic 2-1-2 Header + 4" slash up mufflers Power Vision, PM Super Gas MERC A/C, 12" Windvest, CVO Solo Seat, XT Rokker & Hawgwire cs300 Amp, 10" Outlawz, CD Led's, Arlen Ness lowers, Ohlins S36E + progressive monotubes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 11:46 PM
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcast1 View Post
Still confused-most references I've seen to Stage 1 include mod to exhaust system. Are you saying dealers can't remove exhaust and install entire new pipes that have no cat in them, thereby tampering with the emission controls? My dealer has a Vance & Hines catalogue right on the counter, and it looks like they are doing precisely that.
They are talking about removing the cat from the stock head pipe, not replacing the it with an after market head pipe.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmd View Post
You'll be hard pressed to find a dealer or even a muffler shop to remove the cat because it is a violation of federal law to tamper with exhaust emissions. All you really need is a hacksaw, a chisel, and someone to weld it back together.
Most every Dealer will point you to someome that will gut the headers.
It is aginst the law to modify any exhaust system. So far many still do it.
That is why the products are sold as racing.
That was why JJ left CA he was fined big time for exhaust on the bikes he built.
Gutting the stock headers is easy to do but you better get the tune right of the do not run well.
I gave up on the low cost route after the last one. This time it will be Fuel Moto cermic line 2-1-2 headers doing it right this time
Old 11-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Grey beard

IMO if you just wanting to get rid of the heat and get more sound, gutting the head pipe is the cheapest way to do it. From what I've read on this forum and from my own experience a tune is not necessary as long as you don't change out the A/C to a higher flowing unit. Now with that said, it is true that you could get more performance from one of the aftermarket pipes. I haven't seen a comparison between a gutted pipe and x-type pipe. I have seen a lot of comparisons on changing the whole system out though, and I could understand how that would be a performance gain. So explain to me the difference between changing out the head pipe to one without a catalytic converter and removing the catalytic converter from the stock head pipe? Either way your getting rid of the catalytic converter even if you cut it out or take it off. I will agree though a good tune would be a good thing to get since HD leans them out because of EPA requirements.
2012 FLTRX Denim Black,Stock head pipe with Cat removed w/ Jackpot 4" black slash up slip-ons. power vision, Fuel Moto pro billet A/C, Woods TW-222's, 12" Klock Werks . Sanchos Wings. Khrome werks 2+2 Handlebars.

Last edited by Rkfltrx; 11-12-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:59 AM
Grey beard

I got mine from my dealer for a 100 exchange

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 10-11-2013, 02:42 PM

Anyone have detailed instructions on how to remove the Catalytic convertor?
Old 10-11-2013, 03:43 PM

I got one all done and sitting in my garage $130 shipped CONUS. Stock header off a 2012 - CAT removed using the window method.

PM me if you're interested. I was just going to list it but have not had time to take pics.

My 2012 FLTRX Build Thread "The War Horse"
Life is good but it's not easy!
Old 10-11-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaibourne View Post
Anyone have detailed instructions on how to remove the Catalytic convertor?
I just removed the exhaust. Laid it down where the front of the converter was showing. Came in 1/2" from each weld side and about 1/2" up and down from center of bottom and top. Took a marker and drew a rectangle to the marks. I just used my hand grinder to cut the line. Once I cut all way around, I had to pry that piece off. Then cleaned all the converter out using the grinder, cold chisel, big screwdriver, hammer. I then took to local welding shop. He charged me $25.00 to weld the rectangle back on. For that price he also smoothed his welding up with a grinder, and sprayed some rust inhibitor primer on his work. Start to finish the whole thing took me about 3 hrs. total cost was $35.00( welding and new exaust gaskets). I am sure some have done it faster
Old 10-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcast1 View Post
Still confused-most references I've seen to Stage 1 include mod to exhaust system. Are you saying dealers can't remove exhaust and install entire new pipes that have no cat in them, thereby tampering with the emission controls? My dealer has a Vance & Hines catalogue right on the counter, and it looks like they are doing precisely that.
No, he is saying that the dealer cannot cut the cat out of the stock head pipe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.