Travel & Exhaust - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > General Forum Discussions > Road Trip Discussions/Stories/Pictures

Road Trip Discussions/Stories/Pictures Show your trips here!

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-07-2012, 10:19 PM
Hangaround

Question Travel & Exhaust

I am contemplating a major road trip in 13 I live in Ks. I want to ride hwy 1 will travel through Co,Ut, Nv, Ca, also maybe some of these depending on the route home Or, Id, Wy, SD, Ne, Az, NM, and Ok .
My question :If I have noncompliant exhaust Could I expect to have problems in any of these states?
I want to change my exhaust, I don't want loud just good sound but I don't want problems either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 10:27 PM

I havent had any problems.
Been through most of those areas including Canada.
Once in a while I here about them cracking down. I dont know how it would work if your from out of the area.
I have Screaming Eagle 22 state legal pipes. :>)
Old 11-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Wooden Nickel

I've never had any issues at all in the following states and this is with my RK which is much louder than my RGU. Nv, Or, Id, Wy, SD, Az. I spend a lot of time in MT, ID, WA, SD, WY also with no problems.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Hangaround

Thanks for the info it sounds encouraging. I figured the state that would most likely be a problem is Ca but thought i should include the others just incase
Old 11-08-2012, 01:00 AM

I'm in California and it isn't really that bad. Don't do anything stupid and you'll be just fine.

I have the upswept fishtails on my '62 and I have not had any negative feedback, even when pulled over. They look cool, but if you look closely, you'll notice they are really straight pipes. They're just long enough that it doesn't look, or sound, like straight pipes until I get on it.

My V & H pipes on the Road Glide have never even gotten a second glance from the local LEO.

2012 FLTRU
110cid w/V&H Power Duals/Hi-Output, HD Heavy Breather, HD Race Tuner, J&M Rokker Series Front/Rear w/500w amp
2005 VN2000
125cid w/V&H Powershots and PC III. 116+ hp, 140+ lbs/ft torque. FOR SALE
1962 XLCH
Full on Custom Chopper w/many one-off parts.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:08 AM
Life Member

If you arent screwing around im sure youll be fine.

Some people just need a high-five. In the head. With a chair
Old 11-08-2012, 06:09 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikejockey View Post
I am contemplating a major road trip in 13 I live in Ks. I want to ride hwy 1 will travel through Co,Ut, Nv, Ca, also maybe some of these depending on the route home Or, Id, Wy, SD, Ne, Az, NM, and Ok .
My question :If I have noncompliant exhaust Could I expect to have problems in any of these states?
I want to change my exhaust, I don't want loud just good sound but I don't want problems either
Common Sense & Courtesy ~ I have never been pulled for exhaust ~ usually the conversation is about speeding...
Old 11-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Life Member

If your going through Denver keep your noise down. I've heard they are really hammering guys with loud pipes there.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
Such is the rule of honor.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Rowdy

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have never been hassled on a road trip for exhaust noise. You would probably have to work pretty hard to cross that line, i.e., acting like an asshat if ya get pulled over for something else, like speeding.

Rowdy

Revolution 107CI, HQ575cams, Revolution Performance Tuner, Drago Bike Works Super Charged 2-1 Exhaust, Rivera Pro Clutch, HD Blacked out Forks and Cow Bells, Chubby 14" Apes, Hawg Wired Front to Back, Madstad 16" Dark Smoke. etc...
Old 11-08-2012, 10:45 AM

Living in the LA area (California)... Recently I've noticed a few of those mobile signs about town saying "Motorcycle exhaust laws strictly enforced" but I haven't seen anybody pulled over. I suspect that the signs might be the only thing they do for enforcement... My RG is stock but I have loud exhaust on a couple other bikes I have and don't worry about riding them at all. I couldn't imagine what the cops would do if they saw a loud bike all the way out here from Kansas but, I would be impressed.;-)
Most cops in CA see hundreds of bikes (many with loud exhaust) in the course of their day and only seem concerned with safety issues and not with harassment. The only time I would worry about a loud exhaust ticket is if I was pulled over for something else that pissed them off...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.