Race Tech Springs and Emulators - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Suspensions

Suspensions Discuss all you Suspension needs and wants here!

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 07-15-2012, 09:25 AM

Default Race Tech Springs and Emulators

Before my ride from Florida to Indiana (4th of July week), I had GMD Computrack in Jasper, GA (Kent and Tracey are the best to deal with) install a Race Tech front end (springs, emulators, and gold valves) on my Road Glide.

Immediately after the install, we took a minor detour and hit the Tail of the Dragon. All I can say is that the performance difference is impressive. Transitions from right to left (and back) in the turns are quick and precise. It eliminates the bob that is present with the stock suspension.

Kent at GMD set me up a little on the stiffer side, and that gave me a little more lean angle out of the bike. I wasn't leaving as much chrome behind me on the tight corners, which is definitely a plus.

In addition, when you dump the bike into a corner, it sticks. The front end doesn't move like the stock front end used to, its solid.

There's a noticeable improvement with absorbing bumps as well - its a smooth transition in and out, rather than a hard hit and smooth release (at least that's what I experienced with the stock setup). This is especially nice for highway riding. As we went further north, and pot holes/breaks in the pavement became increasing present, the Road Glide hit any variation in the pavement as smooth as silk (at least on the front end).

I have Progressive Shocks in the rear, but I think I'll be changing them out to Race Tech as soon as the wallet will allow.

+1 for Race Tech Front Fork Springs and Emulators - a must for anyone hitting the mountain roads, or wanting a smoother ride on the highway. They certainly get my endorsement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2012, 01:07 AM
Hangaround

Thanks for the review I been wondering about the Race Tech conversion I am now also informed that they make rear shocks... I looked at there website say they have a "controlled plush ride guarantee" I am going to talk to them Monday!
Old 10-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Hangaround

Default Gold Tops

After 33,000 miles on my '11 FLTRU, I too had Race Tech Gold Top Emulators and springs installed. This is the first step in setting up your Road Glide to be the best handling Harley you will ever ride. Up here in CT, the roads just suck! Local municipalities don't spend the $ on road repair, they use cold patch on pot-holes and it seems that the highways are constantly being ground down and re-paved. I got tired of the front-end bouncing like a pogo stick, the ABS would activate if I applied the brakes if the road was bumpy which is not a very secure feeling. The Gold Tops took care of that and made the bike very stable. The front is planted, compliant and rock-solid. The ride is smoother too without being mushy. I found an independent shop (Sound Motor Works) in Fairfield that actually knew what Gold Tops were to do the installation. They worked with me and Progressive to get the proper spring, oil weight and initial set-up for the Road Glide. It worked out perfect.

I highly recommend this modification.

Next step, custom high-end shocks from Howard at Motorcyclemetal. Howard specializes in suspension set-ups for Harley's and he is working on a set of JRI shocks for me. They will be adjustable, similar to Ohlins' but hand-made in NC. I can't wait for them to come in. I will report on them after the install.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Hangaround

I had the Race Tech G-2's on my '06 Road King Classic and liked them a lot. I certainly changed the ride. Not really 'Plush' but less harsh and better two up. The bike handled better and was easy to ride all day.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:57 PM

Default +1 for Race Tech

I put the Race Tech setup with progressive 444 in the rear on my 2001 RG w/50,000 mi., like buying a new bike. This thing sticks in the corners very well.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:26 PM
Hangaround

I have Racetech in Ester too, made a HUGE difference in handling. But with the sloppy old style swingarm, I couldnt really push her. I've got the swingarn upgrade done, but havent really got out to ring-er-out yet. Now I'm saving up for Ohlins.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Prospect

You gained lean angle, so you kept the stock height on the front suspension?

'12 RGU in BBP
Stuff done, more to come

'10 FLHP in Birch White (RIP)
Old 12-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Hangaround

It's good to see some feedback on Race Tech! I have Gold vavles and springs on my KLR650 and it completely changed how the bike rides on and off road. I am looking forward to doing the Race Tech treatment to the Ultra soon!

A link for those who are curious.
http://www.racetech.com/page/id/59

Last edited by Twistedlizard720; 12-08-2012 at 09:48 PM.