Poor Radio Reception ??? - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Audio

Audio List your speakers and audio solutions for the roadglide.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-05-2012, 11:36 PM
Hangaround

Default Poor Radio Reception ???

I tried a search but did not really see the answer I was looking for...it seems my radio ('08 RG) has always had poor FM reception....I tried changing antennas and always summed it up to poor antenna connection to the rear mounting blocks...

Has anyone else experienced this?
Does the amplified antenna (in fairing) help this?

I remember back in the day you were able to fine tune a car radio's reception with a small screw on the back of the unit...is this possible with the stock radios?

Sorry for all the questions...normally use my iPod but on occasion I take my daughters out for a ride and they prefer to hear their favorite stations.

Thanks for your help.

Riding Life's Twisting Roads to Somewhere...on a 2008 Dark Blue Pearl Road Glide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Hangaround

Anyone with an opinion?

Riding Life's Twisting Roads to Somewhere...on a 2008 Dark Blue Pearl Road Glide
Old 11-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Hangaround

I'm having the same problem. I'm just going to buy a cheap antenna and plug it directly in to the back of the radio and see if that helps. I've never heard anything good about an amplified antenna
Old 11-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Hangaround

That adjustment screw you're talking about was the "Antenna Trimmer" adjustment. It only optimized the antenna for AM reception. It had no effect on FM. The previous owner of my bike put a shorty flexible whip on the back. I had no AM reception at all and marginal FM and WB. Since I had almost no reception, I thought I'd at least get rid of the antenna. I picked up a cheap ($18.95 w/free shipping) non-amplified AM/FM/WB hidden antenna off ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-HIDDEN-A...item19c26637de). Reception is pretty good now for all three bands, even very weak AM and FM stations. Since I never had the stock full length antenna, I can't compare it to that. I followed the sellers suggestion to mount it vertical rather than horizontal inside the fairing. It's mounted along the side of the radio, past the Temp and Fuel gauge and stops about an inch short of the bottom of the inner fairing.
2005 FLTRI Black Cherry, 95" Big Bore, Thundermax w/Auto Tune, V&H Dresser Duals w/Klock Werks SS, Andrews 26 Cams, Stage 1 intake, SE 6 Speed, Wards FCS cooling fans, Krome Werks Stretch Heritage +2 bars, Progressive Monotubes, 444's, & Touring Link, Michelin Commander II's, 14.5" Madstad, Mustang Wide Touring seat w/ CVO Backrest, Lowers with Classic Motorcycle Vents, Hogtunes 140w Amp, 5x7's & Tweeter Pod, Daymakers

Last edited by eme56; 11-07-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Grey beard

Had this problem on my 06, and when I parked next to a friend on a dresser and he was listening to FM stations I couldn't even pick up I knew something was wrong. Got out my ohmmeter and found that the plug on the antenna wire had no continuity to the antenna mast.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Hangaround

Thanks for all the replies..

Old 11-08-2012, 04:38 PM

I'm having very good results with the $20 Metra 44-UA200 amplified antenna in the fairing.