Oil Longevity........ - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures

*General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Prospect

Default Oil Longevity........

So Harley says to change your oil every 5k. Thats fine as it would take me about 5 months to reach 5k {give or Take} I live in Florida so I ride just about every day all year. But what about those folks up North that cant ride during the Winter months. Lets say for arguments sake that it takes almost a year to reach 5k on a bike, How bad would the oil be in the Engine? Would it still be safe to use on a bike? How much viscosity would it have left? Obviously synthetic oil would have the advantage on this as opposed to Dino fluid. Should any type of oil be changed out regardless of miles, If its been almost a year since its last change? Is there a timeline on Oil Life once its poured into the Engine??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 08:37 PM

I live in Wisconsin and ride 20-60,000 a year.
oil every 5K Primary every 10K Trans every 20.
The only times I change sooner are extreme condition.
If I ride in a lot of real cool weather longer warms up and lower engine temps will trigger a change sooner.
If I run into a bust time where my rides end up being short and the bike does not get a good run I change sooner.
Many of us that live in the north ride 2-2500 a month.
5K in half a year is not an issue with oil and lube changes unless your trips are short ones then it never gets warm enough long enough to burn off moisture.

Last edited by smitty901; 11-08-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:53 PM

The oil itself is not an issue as it can easily go well past 5k miles and time almost irrelevant as far as breaking down. Moisture would really be the main concern and that can build with a recent oil change under the right conditions. If I were going to let a bike sit I would want to put fresh oil in it to make sure there wasn't moisture sitting in it.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty901 View Post
I live in Wisconsin and ride 20-60,000 a year.
oil every 5K Primary every 10K Trans every 20.
The only times I change sooner are extreme condition.
If I ride in a lot of real cool weather longer warms up and lower engine temps will trigger a change sooner.
If I run into a bust time where my rides end up being short and the bike does not get a good run I change sooner.
Many of us that live in the north ride 2-2500 a month.
5K in half a year is not an issue with oil and lube changes unless your trips are short ones then it never gets warm enough long enough to burn off moisture.
How long of a ride would one have to do to "burn of" any moisture in the oil? I'm guessing outside temps have something to do with it.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:58 PM
Hangaround

I change my engine oil every 3K, primary and trany at 6K. Probably more than necessary but it is cheep enough to do considering its importance. BTW - I also live in Florida (South Florida) and put around 10-12K per year on my bike. Amsoil 20/50 synthetic in each hole.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:29 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glide1 View Post
How long of a ride would one have to do to "burn of" any moisture in the oil? I'm guessing outside temps have something to do with it.
My oil temp has to reach 227 to be up to temp ~ I live in St Aug and this takes about 20 minutes or so. With the recent temps I may have to ride 30 minutes ~ 5k on the oil changes/20k on the trany, and usually 20k on the primary.... Rode my last two bikes 160k since 06 with no failure due to lubrication... SemperFi
2012 FLTRXSE Skunk S&S 124/HPI 66, PV w A/T Pro~ Chopped Tour Pack, Lowers, 11" Tinted MadStad, S&S Power Tune Duals, Daymaker LED's, Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector, Fork Baffle, Pro 940's & Pro Monotubes, Baker DD7, Zumo 660, Vulcanworks Solid Sproket, Barnett Scorpion, Jaggs 10 Row oil Cooler w/Fan, Hayden M6.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:01 AM
Life Member

my bike temp runs 195-205 since I did cams, dyno tune and Jagg fan assisted oil cooler. Might reach 220 in the summer. Isn;t this good? I don't know much about having to get to higher temps to burn off moisture. I would think cooler oil temps are better. I do change all fluids ay half HD recommendations.

87hp 101tq
Contrast Chrome Agitators 19/18
Baggershield
Harley Hammock-Adj.Back Rest
King Tour Pac-Air Wing Rack(black)-Smoked LED-4 Pt.Dock-Black Latches & Hinges
Custom Dynamics LED's & Plazma Rods smoked front & rear with Magic Strobe
J&M 250w Fairing + Lower Rokkers
Saddlebag Bra
Hidden Multi-Color LEDs
Jagg Fan Assisted Oil Cooler
Kuryakyn Passenger detach. ArmRest & adj. pegs

Old 11-09-2012, 07:11 AM
Grey beard

That low of a temp is acutally bad for your motor. The oil needs to get up to the 230 range to burn off contaminants especially in the winter time. With the colder temps the inside of your engine and transmission will build up condinsation from the cold weather. I used to work about 3 miles from my house. In the winter time I would ride to work and back when the weather was mild enough. By the end of the week I could pull the dipstick and it would look like it was coated with cream cheese. This is the moisture that is mixed in with the oil. Come saturday morning I would take the bike out on a good hour long ride and it would burn off all of the moisture and the oil would look clear again.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:49 AM
Life Member

Default I ride all year

I live in the midwest, and I ride year round. I treat my bikes like I treat my cars. Change the oil on schedule, keep my garage heated at around 50 degrees. I don't winterize any of them although I keep the Dyna and the Cobra on a battery tender, as they are not my primary vehicles in the winter.

Trailers are for Boats!!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:05 AM
Life Member

Lots of oil threads in online forums... more so in the winter, it seems.

I ride every day in what has been described as extreme conditions. Though today's pre-dawn ride in 60 was very pleasant...

I change fluids according to the intervals that the moco recommends. Everything is documented. If I encounter a fluid-related problem (never have, so far) it's on them as I followed their service intervals.

Don't spend any time worrying about it. That's just me.

You imagine me sipping champagne from your boot for a taste of your elegant pride.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe... but at least I'm enjoying the ride!