Engine cracking sound - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Troubleshooting for Road Glides

Troubleshooting for Road Glides List your Road Glide problems here, and DR. Ruth will answer them.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-05-2012, 08:11 PM

Default Engine cracking sound

I have been experiencing a strange cracking noise between 3k and 4.5k rpm and I can't figure it out. Basically, I had a new intake, HD tuner, and Supertrapp slip on's put on over last winter. To date, I only have 4500 miles or so. Anyway, the noise started after this work was done.

Anyway, if I floor it a bit, like getting on the highway for example, I hear a strange cracking sound in the engine starting around 3k (throttle greater that 80%) I took it back to the dealer and explained the sound the best I could. I also said it was like a bolt rattling around in a metal dish. It's weird sound that one should hear for themselves coming right from gas tank/engine. I asked several folks at the dealer to take it for a ride. Other then revving it in neutral (which doesn't work as sound only happens under load) nothing else was done to determine the culprit. Went straight to the map. The tech who did the original work/dyno said it was "pinging" and adjusted the tuner.

So, the sound is still there. As the dealer is sort of far away, I thought I'd ask for your feedback as others may have had a similar experience. Anybody?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Life Member

Yep sounds like pinging to me. Nut in a metal dish is a actually what it sounds like
Old 11-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Life Member

Trying to describe the noise on the forum makes it hard for anyone to give you the correct answer. I would say that pinging sounds like spark knock, if the noise comes from the primary area then there may be issues with the clutch or compensator. The problem with noises is that when ever you take it to the dealer the bike will not make the noise that causes you concern.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJSW1283 View Post
Yep sounds like pinging to me. Nut in a metal dish is a actually what it sounds like
+1 on pinging. Mine did the same thing.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the feedback folks. Much appreciated!
Old 11-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Life Member

If it is pinging Lucas makes some additives you might try I use the octane boost and add it to the lucas upper cylinder lubricant which quiets the fuel injectors from popping
Old 11-09-2012, 08:16 AM

i always thought pinging came from running to lean?