extended brake line for monkey bars - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Controls & Handlebars

Controls & Handlebars Controls and Handlebars for Road Glides

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Hangaround

Default extended brake line for monkey bars

I put the 10" monkey bars on and I don't like the way the stock brake line looks. Has anyone else changed their brake lines with the monkey bars? I'm not sure if I should go with +2 or +4".
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Life Member

how much more do you think you need? Is it routed in the same location as stock?
according to Magnum Shielding's website, for a 2004 FLTR, the stock upper cable length is 23". I think plus 2" is usually reccomended for 10" apes.
Check out their website for tips on how to measure.
http://www.magnumshielding.com/store/tips.php
Old 11-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Hangaround

Thanks Ded! You saved me again. I should just start PMing you my questions
I left it in the stock location and straightened out the bends. It really looks like hell. I'm suprised anyone would leave it like that after all that time and money to install monkey bars. I was worried that +2 wouldn't be long enough but I also don't want too much slack.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:09 AM

You don't need extensions until you go over 12". My cables look perfectly fine, nothing strange about them whatsoever on my 10" bars.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty3000 View Post
Thanks Ded! You saved me again. I should just start PMing you my questions
I left it in the stock location and straightened out the bends. It really looks like hell. I'm suprised anyone would leave it like that after all that time and money to install monkey bars. I was worried that +2 wouldn't be long enough but I also don't want too much slack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGCBandit View Post
You don't need extensions until you go over 12". My cables look perfectly fine, nothing strange about them whatsoever on my 10" bars.
i think the newer models have longer lines than the older models. matty3000 has a 2004. i have 14" bars, on my 2010 FLTRX, and never switched brake lines, so thats the difference.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:37 PM

My apologies, I should have looked to see what year his was. Yes, you're correct... new models are fine, not the older ones though.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:03 PM

So if I'm reading this right on my 2012 road glide custom i can go up to a 12" monkey bar with out changing my cables? Or is that just the brake line?
Old 11-09-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperAA View Post
So if I'm reading this right on my 2012 road glide custom i can go up to a 12" monkey bar with out changing my cables? Or is that just the brake line?
On a 2012, you don't need to extend anything. If you go 12" you will only have to reroute your clutch cable, it won't sit in that clip on the left of the nacelle, that's all.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:12 PM

Thanks Bro, just picked up the glide 4 months ago so slowly getting the things changed i want. Any suggestions for good pricing for blue pearl lower fairings?
Old 11-09-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperAA View Post
Thanks Bro, just picked up the glide 4 months ago so slowly getting the things changed i want. Any suggestions for good pricing for blue pearl lower fairings?
Get a quote from forum member pcpain. He is parts mgr. at Horny Toad HD and gives us great prices everyday.