Proposed Shark Week in Maine, part 2 - Page 3 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > General Forum Discussions > National Road Glide Gathering > ARCHIVES-SWIII St. George, UT

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Shark of the Month October 13

Location: On the shore of a lake in the middle of nowhere with more moose than people for neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray Mutt View Post
That is actually what we are planning at SW III. Northwoods and Gman only need to send a rep or proxy. They're not disqualified simply because the distance is too great for them to attend personally. (BTW we do have a Mainer that's signed on for SW III) The plan is for all presentations to be given equal time and equal weight - and decided upon by those who are most likely to be attending future events. Obviously it would be an advantage for the main player or players to be present for Q & A purposes, but I don't see why a rep or remote connect can't do that. It's also important that one bidding to be a host experience what goes on at Shark Week, have some knowledge of what is expected, and for the membership to make sure we don't hand the event to some lunkhead that we only know by his forum postings. Gman has been to the first two Shark Weeks, so he knows what the deal is (and he's not a lunkhead). I'm not too sure about Northwoods, though.

As for me personally, 3400 miles ain't too much for me. I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'd like to hear from some more potential hosts, though. Some of the Texas boys mentioned the possibility, there has been talk about Arkansas, and I think HOGWILD threw out the possibility of North Carolina, an area I'd be particularly interested in, as well as Maine.
Lunkhead! ... Hey, I resemble that remark!

Mutt, I am a bit confused about one thing that you said here that I'd like you to clarify. I have been reading on here for a couple of years that the rotation for the National Rally is East, then mid-country, then Western parts of the U.S., ... then repeat. Is that correct? I'm asking simply because you and someone else here recently mentioned Texas in the same breath as SW4. I know Texas is a huge state as I've traveled every part of it over the years but I've never heard of it mentioned in relation to the eastern portion of the country. So is the rotation east / mid / west, or is each SW up for grabs in terms of locations?

By the way, the Maine contingent will have someone in Utah for our presentation, supported by a couple of us connected via Skype. End of that discussion, hopefully!

Last edited by Northwoods_Maine; 11-09-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Out hope has always been to try and rotate the location of the rallies in an attempt to make it accessible to forum members from different parts of the country.

With that said... SW will be held wherever we can if there are people who are willing to shoulder the work.

Rotation of the sites is ideal but we also need to hold it in areeas that are near large numbers of members and places that offer great roads and sites .

Best regards,
Hutmo
Old 11-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods_Maine View Post
Mutt, I am a bit confused about one thing that you said here that I'd like you to clarify. I have been reading on here for a couple of years that the rotation for the National Rally is East, then mid-country, then Western parts of the U.S., ... then repeat. Is that correct? I'm asking simply because you and someone else here recently mentioned Texas in the same breath as SW4. I know Texas is a huge state as I've traveled every part of it over the years but I've never heard of it mentioned in relation to the eastern portion of the country. So is the rotation east / mid / west, or is each SW up for grabs in terms of locations?
There is no established East, Central, Western rotation. So far it has just kind evolved that way. Hutmo had the first one in Gettysburg, because it was near him, same as Rob, who was the only one to volunteer to host the next one. Since he lives in the midwest, we met there. There had been some grumbling from folks west of the Mississippi that the preference would be to have SW III closer to the west to accommodate those who didn't have the time/funds to travel great distances. Nutter Mutter and I came to Iowa from the West, so we volunteered to host, and after some back and forth, St. George was decided upon. It seems more or less natural to gravitate back to the East now - our membership has grown greatly since Shark Week I, and there is a large concentration in the East, but there are no rules established. Hutmo's guidelines are an attempt to do just that - establish some guidelines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods_Maine View Post
By the way, the Maine contingent will have someone in Utah for our presentation, supported by a couple of us connected via Skype. End of that discussion, hopefully!
Excellent! I guess we better schedule presentation time before bedtime for the East Coasters.

Edit: And of course while I was putting together my long-winded response Hutmo answered in a much more succinct manner.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Grey beard

IMHO I don't think whoever hosts a SW has to attend every one of them BUT I'd think whoever is up for taking the time and effort to host one would have had enough interest to at least attend one along the way. Moreso as the years pass and the number and various locations of SW's accumulate. There are many of us that like to ride so much if we started a four corner rotation and had it in a different corner of the country each year we'd be there.

As far as Maine goes, I'm in. Gman's a great guy and would be an excellent host, even though he does talk a little funny Im hopin if I can work it in next summer to get a little riding in up that way.

The beach is a place where a man can feel He's the only soul in the world thats real
Old 11-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Grey beard

Ah hell if tdkkart is in so am I. 3400Km from Calgary to the resort. Going to crate my bike and ship it to Dreamrider. Fly to Montreal, ride to Maine, ride the 3400km back to Calgary.
Calgaryglide. '08 Road Glide, Platinum White with wood trim, Thundermax Autotune, Dragula 2:1, Drago 510 cams, Glidepro motor mount and rear bushing, Zippers chain tensioners, K&N a/c, BAL, Rokker XTs and lots of other stuff.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksand View Post
IMHO I don't think whoever hosts a SW has to attend every one of them BUT I'd think whoever is up for taking the time and effort to host one would have had enough interest to at least attend one along the way. Moreso as the years pass and the number and various locations of SW's accumulate. There are many of us that like to ride so much if we started a four corner rotation and had it in a different corner of the country each year we'd be there.

As far as Maine goes, I'm in. Gman's a great guy and would be an excellent host, even though he does talk a little funny Im hopin if I can work it in next summer to get a little riding in up that way.
You can't make it to Maine from Kentucky, without a pit stop in NJ.
I'll leave a light on for ya'.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:34 PM

If I could ride across the pacific ocean I would go... I'm counting on Shark Week 2014, will be established at new house/base by then.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Life Member

I'm in for a New England SW. Between vacations of 2010 and 2012 I've hit all 6 new england states and I'd move there in a heartbeat to ride those roads on a daily basis, even the ones with roundabouts!?! I'm actually contemplating retirement to New England or splitting time between NC (old family homestead) and New England (April - October). Anyways, in short, I'm in and would really like a Hwy 1 ride up the Maine coast doing the lighthouse tour with SW, but I can do that on my up or on my way home.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Shark of the Month October 13

Location: On the shore of a lake in the middle of nowhere with more moose than people for neighbors.

There are 3 reasons not to ride the Rte. 1 coastal route during July or August - traffic, traffic, and more traffic, ... at least until you get north of the Camden/Rockport area. I originally thought of proposing an Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor area rally, but you'd have to do that in Sept. to make it at all affordable or fun, and I guess there are quite a few on here who depend on the rallys being held in the summer months due to kids or job issues.

If you get up this way give me a shout. I'm always looking for an excuse to ride a bit - providing I have the time. Worst case, I can give you a bunch of good riding and touristing suggestions.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:17 PM
Life Member

Count me in for a new england event.

50,000 battered women and i still eat mine plain