Progressive Monotube Question - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums






Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Suspensions

Suspensions Discuss all you Suspension needs and wants here!


Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!








Partner Links


Motorcycle Superstore









 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-28-2012, 06:01 AM
Willy_B's Avatar
Willy_B Willy_B is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Yorktown, VA
Posts: 311
Default Progressive Monotube Question

Kinda of a dumb question but better safe than sorry. I've got a 21 on the front and I'm about to put on black lowers and cowbells and decided while I'm at it i want to lower the front 2" and upgrade suspension. My question is are all the progressive Monotube kits the same and you set your desired height or do you order them height specific? Just wanted to make sure before I order.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 09-28-2012, 06:08 AM
HD_Shock's Avatar
HD_Shock HD_Shock is offline
Life Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oklahoma - the windy part
Posts: 1,851
Default

There are only two versions of Progressive Monotubes for touring bikes - lowered and non lowered (stock height). The lowered version allows a drop from 1 to 2 inches. All you have to do is make sure you get the lowered version.
__________________
-phil

2011 FLTRX 103


VH Dresser Duals | Klock Werks SS | HD Ventilator | Power Vision | Santees 11in Apes | CB SSC Euro 15in
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-28-2012, 06:47 AM
FrankieB's Avatar
FrankieB FrankieB is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy_B View Post
Kinda of a dumb question but better safe than sorry. I've got a 21 on the front and I'm about to put on black lowers and cowbells and decided while I'm at it i want to lower the front 2" and upgrade suspension. My question is are all the progressive Monotube kits the same and you set your desired height or do you order them height specific? Just wanted to make sure before I order.
To get a 2 inch drop you will need to use your stock top out spring along with the top out spring that comes with the kit.
__________________
06 RK
11 RGU
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-28-2012, 06:55 AM
Willy_B's Avatar
Willy_B Willy_B is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Yorktown, VA
Posts: 311
Default

Thanks guys
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-09-2012, 08:20 PM
FLTRU4ME FLTRU4ME is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11
Default

thinking about lowering front also. Where seems to be the pricing on the Progressives?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Northwoods_Maine's Avatar
Northwoods_Maine Northwoods_Maine is offline
Shark of the Month October 13
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: On the shore of a lake in the middle of nowhere with more moose than people for neighbors.
Posts: 4,117
Default

If you shop around you can find then for $259 -270. plus installation. Try Eastern Performance, they were very competitive when I was looking. You won't regret it. I did the 1" drop and am very happy with it. The 2" is a bit too stiff for my tastes (and the New England roads).
__________________
2011 Sedona Orange RGC. Too many mods ....but never enough.

The older we get, the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-30-2012, 01:48 AM
Bull_Duck's Avatar
Bull_Duck Bull_Duck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: N FL USA. 86 miles south of GA
Posts: 710
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods_Maine View Post
If you shop around you can find then for $259 -270. plus installation. Try Eastern Performance, they were very competitive when I was looking. You won't regret it. I did the 1" drop and am very happy with it. The 2" is a bit too stiff for my tastes (and the New England roads).


What should be the expected cost of installation?
How difficult?
__________________
2008 Road Glide 105th; 2008 FXDSE(2), FXSTD -SE
1998 FXD For Sale
Photo Albums
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-30-2012, 02:05 AM
dbell66253's Avatar
dbell66253 dbell66253 is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 9,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull_Duck View Post
What should be the expected cost of installation?
How difficult?
When I bought my monotubes the local dealer wanted 8hrs for the install, it took me less than that and wasn't really too difficult. An indy would probably charge a little less, but I'm glad I did it myself, I got to know the bike a little better, and the since of accomplishment was priceless.
__________________
2010 FLTRX, Custom paint, 107 CI, TS Bags, CM Fury 21" Wheel, too many other extra's to list.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-30-2012, 05:52 AM
Bull_Duck's Avatar
Bull_Duck Bull_Duck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: N FL USA. 86 miles south of GA
Posts: 710
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbell66253 View Post
When I bought my monotubes the local dealer wanted 8hrs for the install, it took me less than that and wasn't really too difficult. An indy would probably charge a little less, but I'm glad I did it myself, I got to know the bike a little better, and the since of accomplishment was priceless.
Found this install video on YouTube. Thanks to BikerTrends
Install looks easy. I don't have a big vice; a helping set of second hands should suffice. I do have a bike lift for lowering the front wheel. The other tools are standard tool box.
__________________
2008 Road Glide 105th; 2008 FXDSE(2), FXSTD -SE
1998 FXD For Sale
Photo Albums
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-03-2012, 09:04 PM
wmchardy wmchardy is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3
Thumbs up Monotube Install

I had my standard length monotubes installed today at my loocal dealer. They charged me three hours labor. I found them on-line for $259.00. I installed Progressive rear shocks a couple of weeks ago at home. That was a pretty good improvement. Now, with front and rear Progressives; the ride is fantastic. I travelled the same 45-mile route home from the dealer. It felt as though the State had repaved the road while the springs were being installed.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


 


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 PM.



Design By: Miner Skinz.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
H-D, Harley-Davidson, and Harley-Davidson Logos are registered trademarks of H-D Michigan, Inc. Harley-Davidson in no way endorses or is affiliated with this site.