Hidden Fairing Damage - Page 8 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Troubleshooting for Road Glides

Troubleshooting for Road Glides List your Road Glide problems here, and DR. Ruth will answer them.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 02-26-2012, 01:45 AM

It shouldn't be on yours but it was on my 2010.....just found the damage when I took the fairing off to put in new speakers, antenna and garage door opener......took the vice grips to it and bent both sides in....hopefully it helps
2013 Roadglide Ultra, Big Blue Pearl. Madstad 13 inch windshield, KSTKustoms 16 inch 'Mayhem' apes, Mustang lowdown seat, Ohlins 2-2a rear shocks, Comfort rear crash bars, Airwing tourpak rack, 360 adjustable highway pegs, 'bright ass light' taillight, Boom speakers and amp, Daymaker headlight, Motolights running lights...buncha other crap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 03:40 AM
Hangaround

I was just installing a new J&M Rokker set up and found the brackets had eaten through my fairing (at 25k miles) with daylight pin holes under the wind screen. I did an epoxy fill on the fairing and cut the brackets 1/8" tapered to 1/4" respectively in the area associated with the wear. I also glued on a split 3/16" fuel line x 1 1/4" over the wear area on the radio bracket edges. This should make contact with the fairing at -1/16" tolerance of the original bracket.
I'll check it at +5k miles to see how the patch is holding up and report it here.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:43 PM
Prospect

Anyone check a 2012?
Old 03-18-2012, 11:13 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbalt View Post
Anyone check a 2012?
From this very thread:

http://www.roadglide.org/showpost.ph...2&postcount=63

2010 FLTRX--Primo paint set #83
2005 FXSTB--Sold. Gonna miss it!
2003 XL1200C--Sold
2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt--Sold and much missed.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Life Member

I just had my outer fairing off for new bars. The radio bracket on my '11 RGU has rubber covering the radio brackets. I didn't find any wear on the fairing.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:11 PM

Smile 09 road glide fairing

I pulled my fairing off and sure enough same inside damage as the rest of you all. Thanks for sharing. I used a dremel and siliconed a clear hose split on the supports for protection.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Hangaround

Had my 08 in for speakers under extended warranty and sure enough rubbing on both sides. So the only issue I have is, I don't put a lot of miles on my bike because I work a lot and health reasons so I'm in my extended warranty. My service manager says that nothing cosmetic is covered under extended. So because I didn't have my fairing taken apart until after my factory warranty ran out I'm screwed. He is going to call the MOCO on Monday and I will know then if it is getting replaced. If not I may trade it in on a 2012 Road glide. They are really trying to move them....
Old 05-21-2013, 12:42 PM

I have a 07 RG and already purchased the rubber radio trim pieces. Do i have to cut the radio brackets because the reason they are so tall to begin with is ti resist vibration and movement so i think with the ruber on them i'll be good.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Grey beard

Thanks, I'm glad I got the 5 year warranty, I will have to got back and see if it's covered.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:18 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANGERG121 View Post
I have a 07 RG and already purchased the rubber radio trim pieces. Do i have to cut the radio brackets because the reason they are so tall to begin with is ti resist vibration and movement so i think with the ruber on them i'll be good.
Yes, you need to trim the brackets down and then put rubber strips on. I tapered mine on the outer front edge so the line matches angle of fairing better. Do a parts lookup on the old versus new radio brackets and you'll see how the new ones are tapered relative to the old.

2009 Vivid Black FLTR, Gold Flame collection, Cee Bailey 18" TRSSC Dome, BOOM speakers, Kury FB extensions, Heritage Style bars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.