The Ultra is tempting me - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures

*General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Grey beard

Default The Ultra is tempting me

GM of my local dealer called last night and let me know the BBP Ultra they had on order had just come in. My Custom is due to ship this Wednesday but had to go take a look anyway. Seeing it in person is making for a very tough decision. Ugh!!!

Update: Made my decision

Last edited by Garemlin; 11-17-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Shark of the Month October 13

Location: On the shore of a lake in the middle of nowhere with more moose than people for neighbors.

It's all about "the look" AND how you'll use the bike. Gonna do a lot of long distance riding, especially 2 up? I'd buy the Ultra every time. Or do you mostly do solo day rides with maybe a couple multi-day trips per year? Then maybe the custom is right for you. It's all about YOUR priorities. I use my RGC mostly for day rides with maybe 3-4 multi-day rides per year. I liked the overall stance and the look of the RGC, not to mention the savings at purchase. I put a chopped tail pack on it and it does everything I want it to do in all circumstances. For others, the chopped TP isn't big enough, they do a lot more 2 up riding perhaps (gotta have room for the 6 pairs of the wife's shoes, etc.!) and they like the fact that they can buy it set up pretty darned well for touring right out of the box. I have to say that when/if I retire someday, I'll much more likely gravitate towards the Ultra as I'll have a lot more time for long trips. At that point it's all about function over form. Right now, I'm about 50/50 with the form vs function issue.

You'll have to do some soul searching about how you'll use your bike and which one fits those needs best. Then go back and ask yourself which version grabs you by the throat visually and makes you want to lay down your hard earned cash for it. Hopefully those two are the same bike for you. If so, you're decision is made.

The older we get, the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Life Member

Like mentioned before, its about what youll do with the bike. One can be striped down to your liking when the options arent needed and the other can be added to when the situation calls for it. When i bought my rg there wasnt the ultra model so it made it easy but i did buy a few detachable things i needed for when i take my long weekenders. I personally dont think youll be disappointed with either option you choose.

Some people just need a high-five. In the head. With a chair
Old 11-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Grey beard

Oh trust me I know the arguments and I have been going through them in my head. TBH the look of the Custom "grabs" me more. I am a huge fan of the Street Glide look. But I keep weighting the pros and cons. One big reason I am switching back to the RG is for comfort after spinal surgery. The batwing buffeting kills the enjoyment. I got thinking that the taller suspension travel will make it even more comfortable. Lowers will be added to the Custom at delivery and a tour pak will come soon too. The custom was also ordered with ABS and cruise which the Ultra obviously comes standard with. Daymaker is getting added at delivery either way.

As far as use it will be mostly commuting to work and two up riding with my wife. No week long trips. Just a day to three day trips once in a while. Don't do the barhopping profiling rides. Our day rides are usually 200+ miles.

I do know I "want" the Custom more but the practical side keeps tugging at me and telling me that the Ultra already has the lowers and tour pak. And it doesn't look as "geezer" as an Ultra Classic. CB and intercom are moot. Wheels can be changed. The striping doesn't grab me either way. One part likes the pinstripes on the Custom a little more than the painted strips. But the other part likes the tank badge of the Ultra over the painted logo of the Custom.

This is gonna be a tough decision.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaf75 View Post
Like mentioned before, its about what youll do with the bike. One can be striped down to your liking when the options arent needed and the other can be added to when the situation calls for it. When i bought my rg there wasnt the ultra model so it made it easy but i did buy a few detachable things i needed for when i take my long weekenders. I personally dont think youll be disappointed with either option you choose.

That is exactly my problem. I know I would be happy with either one since they are both pretty close to looks in the sporty sense and either one will eventually become a version of the other. LOL
Old 11-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Hangaround

I was at the same decision point last month, cheaper in the long run to buy the Ultra and then QD the tourpak and get a low profile seat and windshield...........but the Custom won out for me because I already had the tourpak and I ride one up most of the time anyway. Can't wait to see the pictures of the winner! Here's my custom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012_1102roadie0002.jpg (92.9 KB, 108 views)
Old 11-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Life Member

If you are going to get a tour pac and lowers anyhow it will be cheaper to get the ultra in the long run. Now if you don't want abs the roadglide would be the better choice. I have the ultra and love it. I wear a helmet and so do my riders and they fit inside the tour pac. Nice not having to carry them around when you stop somewhere.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:20 PM

One of the added benefits I did not realize when I bought the Ultra is how nice it would be to not have to bend over all the time when using the bags and just use the tourpak.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkHarleyGuy View Post
One of the added benefits I did not realize when I bought the Ultra is how nice it would be to not have to bend over all the time when using the bags and just use the tourpak.
Tell me about it!!! I have had two bikes with detachable tour paks added as well as an Ultra Classic and EG Classic. I used the tour pak so much more than the bags. The bags were more for long term storage and the tour pak was for easy in and out like my jacket, helmet and lunch.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Hangaround

Get the Ultra and detach tour pak set up then you have both bikes!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.