Building a 107 with S&S 583s - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Engine Related

Engine Related Engine Builds and more for Road Glides

Sponsored by Drago's Bike Works

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Hangaround

Default Building a 107 with S&S 583s

I put S&S 583 Cams in my 08 Road Glide this spring. Now I have a 107 kit coming from Randy at Hyperformance. I'm using a Tmax and Rinehart True Duals that are already on the Bike along with the SE air box. The only other thing I have planned is to take the heads apart and clean up the ports alittle and 40 thou. Head Gaskets to put me at 10 to1 as S&S recommends for those cams. Anyone with a build like this that has any ideas about #s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 04:07 AM
Engine Expert

Send a message via AIM to Hillsidecycle.com

Sounds like a plan, BUT, you may want to consider the air requirements of a 107" powerplant, with a .580 plus lift cam.
We would suggest, AT LEAST, a 1.900" intake valve, with the appropriate mods to make use of it's worth.
If it were here, we would machine the heads to accept a new intake seat, and install 1.940" Black Diamonds, and 1.640" 40* hi-tulip exhaust valves.
Not only will a head of this nature bring big power, but will also help create a cooler running powerplant.
Also, the .570 that S&S offers likes/loves to be right at 10.0 cr.
It'll strike big torque out of the gate, and carry out, with a good head.
Scott
Dyno tuning
Extended Warranty Center
MMI Certified Mechanics
Stocking Dealer for;
S&S Cycle
Axtell Sales
Wood Performance
Horse Power Inc.
Andrews Products
Rivera Engineering
Bandit Machine Works
"Land Speed Record Power"
www.hillsidecycle.com
5225 South Main St.
Munnsville, N.Y. 13409
315-495-6650 phone/fax
M-F 8-5, Sat 8-12 or by appt.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampking View Post
I put S&S 583 Cams in my 08 Road Glide this spring. Now I have a 107 kit coming from Randy at Hyperformance. I'm using a Tmax and Rinehart True Duals that are already on the Bike along with the SE air box. The only other thing I have planned is to take the heads apart and clean up the ports alittle and 40 thou. Head Gaskets to put me at 10 to1 as S&S recommends for those cams. Anyone with a build like this that has any ideas about #s
The owner of Millers customs parts in Daytona just did a 106 S&S build with Sach's heads set to 10 to 1 compression with the 570 cam. It made 114 hp and 119 torque, but that was with the rev limiter set to 4300. They figure it will make 5 to 10 more hp and a few more torque when they raise that rev limiter to a proper rpm. I would say with good headwork you should be at or near 120/120. Key is not to go over 10 to 1. Good luck with the build.

-Unbalanced

He who laughs last thinks slowest.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Hangaround

I guess I'm confused, the original post references s&s 583 cams, and all of the reply's talk about 570's. Apples and oranges?
Old 11-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Hangaround

After the 583 Cams and Rineharts with the SE Air Box it Dynoed at 80.42 HP and 94 torque. Any one with a idea of what taking it from 96 in to 107 in will do to those #s . I would like to hit 100 Hp but that seems like a long way off. We will also thake the Heads apart and do some minor clean up on the ports
Old 11-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Hangaround

swapking I would suspect with the enlargement of the CC's and provided you get someone who knows what they are doing with the heads I would suspect you would be able to meet your goal of over 100 hp. The cam is more of a torque cam than it is a hp cam though. I would think you could get 105 -110 tq and little over a 100 with the headwork if you stick with that cam.

-Unbalanced

He who laughs last thinks slowest.