I Have Had It - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Troubleshooting for Road Glides

Troubleshooting for Road Glides List your Road Glide problems here, and DR. Ruth will answer them.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 10-05-2012, 12:45 AM
Grey beard

Here's what I'm talkin about, granted this is how I have it on my softail.

Notice that I have plugs on the adapter plate lines that S&S provides. Not using them! The line is routed to the ground. On my '05 the line ran up along the frame and down to the ground behind the transmission.

Big motors need to breath inside and out. Evo's and twinkies do not breath worth a shit internally.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 04:59 AM
Life Member

Mine will puke oil until it's about six dots from low mark on the dip-stick. My engine builder said as long as it's at or above the low mark I would have no problems.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:28 AM

Get a breather set up that allows you run the lines away from the intake. The intake routing everyone uses now days is clean *looking.

Where can I get one of these? And who makes the best.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Grey beard

I'm showing a pic of an S&S set up. The key is that you need a set up that has banjo fittings external to the plate. Plug up the fittings/holes that the external lines would pass through of course.

I have seen a few mfgr's use this external method but I have only used S&S and the older Screamin eagle versions.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Grey beard

Location: Main Residence Perth Western Australia, Secondary Varna Bulgaria, Satellite Houston

RTFM you could be overfilling it. On my CVO there are two oil level marks on the dipstick one for cold and one for hot levels. The cold level is about 1/3 of the up the dip stick from the empty mark. Both levels require the bike to be on the side stand when checking the oil level, which is different to my Heritage.

Veritas Vos Liberabit{the truth shall set you free}
Old 10-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Prospect

Question for the low oil level folks...since you're running lower oil, do you experience higher oil temps? It would seem to me that less volume of oil to absorb heat would result in higher sump temps of the oil resulting in quicker breakdown of oil especially on our air cooled engines. Add in some higher performance parts resulting in warmer temps and more demand on the oil and now you want all the cooling oil you can get. If your oil is returning to cooling, scavenging, and lubricating duties quicker because there is less of it, you'll need to change it more frequently.

It seems to me that there must be an answer. Other manufacturers do not have a problem with oil filling up the air filter, why do we tolerate it? I had an old boss that told me "You deserve what you tolerate." Do we deserve to have to worry about this? I say no. But what's the answer?
Old 10-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Life Member

i would say in theory you are correct. but the reality is how much cooling does that 6-8 oz of oil actually give you?

and, remember, we aren't running our oil low. we are just running below the full mark, but still in the operating range.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Hangaround

After I did my last oil change, 3 quarts brought it to halfway between low and full on the dipstick. I haven't experienced any puking. I do however smell oil and trans fluid after running highway speeds, then stop and go traffic. I still haven't seen a leak.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:10 PM

Wow this is interesting makes me wonder if your oil is returning to the reservoir

Sent from my MB860 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-11-2012, 03:00 PM

Default Blowing oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR3999 View Post
Man, what is up with the oil blowing out the breath every time I get on the road. It is not over filled, my Fatboy would puke oil out if it was a little on the high side. But I don't over fill my bike with oil. If the oil gets about a quart low it pretty much stops puking. It just pisses me off to wash the bike and wax and a hundred miles down the road oil everywhere. What do you folks do to stop this?

Man I feel better now.
When I would change oil AND filter on my bike I would put in one less quart than was specified. Then after I run the bike for at least 5 minutes I would shut it off and check the level again to see if the oil filter drank it' fill. If it was still low I would add some more oil.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.