The Ultra is tempting me - Page 4 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures

General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Hangaround

When the custom comes in and you can put them next to each other on the floor one of them will call out to ya.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garemlin View Post
Still up in the air. The Ultra is on hold for me until I decide and the Custom is due to ship on Wednesday. I keep on going back and forth. But the bigger part of me still gravitates to the Custom. It is my inner child and love for all things sporty and hot rod me thinks. Thinking I may just go ahead and utilize my at purchase discount and order a Chopped Tour Pak and be done with it.
The RGU is definitely nice for two up riding. However, the RGC is a very nice ride and can be set up very nicely for two up. Local HD dealer here did just that. They took a 2012 yellow RGC and added color matched lowers with Bom speakers. Next they black powder coated the forks etc., installed black handlebars, etc. They also installed a black 4 point docking kit, added a stage 1 kit with a black 2 into 1 Thunderheader exhaust and black 88 cu in air cleaner cover even though the bike has a 103 motor. They since have replaced the black 88 air cleaner cover with a black screamin eagle one. Here is a link to what the bike looks like. Click on the Brand New tab. Bike is on the third page and listed as a 2012 FLTRX Road Glide X. It is a very sharp looking ride.

http://www.zylstrahd.com/minnesota/motorcycles.html

Last edited by fossil mel; 11-11-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Life Member

........ imagine all the foam just waitin' to burst outta those cans

Quote:

'05 FLTRI, King Tour Pak, Vented Lowers, SG fender Fascia
Old 11-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil mel View Post
The RGU is definitely nice for two up riding. However, the RGC is a very nice ride and can be set up very nicely for two up. Local HD dealer here did just that. They took a 2012 yellow RGC and added color matched lowers with Bom speakers. Next they black powder coated the forks etc., installed black handlebars, etc. They also installed a black 4 point docking kit, added a stage 1 kit with a black 2 into 1 Thunderheader exhaust and black 88 cu in air cleaner cover even though the bike has a 103 motor. They since have replaced the black 88 air cleaner cover with a black screamin eagle one. Here is a link to what the bike looks like. Click on the Brand New tab. Bike is on the third page and listed as a 2012 FLTRX Road Glide X. It is a very sharp looking ride.

http://www.zylstrahd.com/minnesota/motorcycles.html
Having had 3 Street Glides I know the Custom will do just fine for two-up long distances. We did many long trips on them. On my previous RG we comfortably did a 3 day trip to WV. Logged around 1200 miles total. I would prolly eventually go with different shocks to soften the ride. Either inch taller stockers or Progressive 944's.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:02 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Still up in the air. The Ultra is on hold for me until I decide and the Custom is due to ship on Wednesday. I keep on going back and forth. But the bigger part of me still gravitates to the Custom. It is my inner child and love for all things sporty and hot rod me thinks. Thinking I may just go ahead and utilize my at purchase discount and order a Chopped Tour Pak and be done with it.
Decision made then. Run with it cuz youll run yourself ragged with the choices

50,000 battered women and i still eat mine plain
Old 11-11-2012, 09:13 AM

Mine is an 07 which the previous owner ( a member here) did a fantastic job of customizing it. He painted the inner fairing, Added the tour pak, Big bore kit and cams etc. I had been asked more than once if it was a new bike, or a CVO (60,000 on it now,)

I plan on adding lowers at some point myself.

Anyhow my point is the only thing missing is the communication port which I have no need for as I have a Scala system.

As others have said., even though they have detachable tour paks they never take them off. I keep 2 helmets in mine at all times and sure makes it easy to shop and stuff. I keep my rain gear and tools in the saddle bags.

Something I haven't seen mentioned is the cruise control. Don't the new Ultras have it as standard and it is optional on the Custom? that may be worth considering as it is a pricy option I believe.

So if it were me I would buy the Ultra and strip it down if needed. I plan on keeping this one for 2 more years until it and my truck are paid off then I may look again but it will be an Ultra I look at.

I did have a Custom before this one and absolutely loved it too though but this is more convenient I swore that I would be buried with that one until I found this one...
Old 11-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Grey beard

@TearlessTom: The Custom was ordered with cruise. It is only a $295 option so that doesn't make much of a difference anyway.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
@TearlessTom: The Custom was ordered with cruise. It is only a $295 option so that doesn't make much of a difference anyway.
I thought it was a bit more than that but am I correct in that it is standard on the Ultra?
Old 11-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Grey beard

My 2012 Ultra is a "Geezer Pleaser" and suits me just fine-it's a touring bike and the TourPak, saddlebags, lowers, bells and whistles kinda belong on it. I mostly ride solo and local with a couple notable long rides so far (2500 and 5500 miles.) I never even considered taking the TourPak/pizzabox off-it readily hauls a small pizza, laptop, helmet, etc. Both the saddlebags and the Tourpak are about half full (tools, qt. oil, phone charger, water, cleaning stuff/towels, hats, etc.,) even when riding local. Also got Saddlemen luggage (big bag + small attachable roll bag-great stuff,) for travel. Really like cruise control out on the road, and ABS is peace of mind. The only thing I half-regret is buying the Harbor Freight trailer, a hitch, and wiring (I console myself with the fact that I went cheapo on the trailer ). I really don't need it-I'm not a camper, it takes a little fun out of riding when you have an additional concern back there, and I only really used it once, to pull beer/water coolers to Rolling Thunder in D.C. for American Legion Rider friends. (Didn't even use it on road trips.)

Back to your question--RGC vs. RGU. I'm confident I made the right call on mine, and you will, too. Either way, you're riding in First Class.

_________

"Help Put An End to Women's Suffrage!"
Old 11-11-2012, 06:18 PM

I love my Ultra, I use one side box for tools and emergency stuff including rain gear so I do no have to think about it. The other box is empty for liner with clothes if needed or some tools for balance. The back has my stuff, anything I need handy, great for groceries so I do not have to take the cage bottom line I like the room and options, also suspension is higher and little softer for a bad back. My wife drives 2012 Street Glide and I like but my Ultra is lot more comfortable. My 2 cents