"Sick to your stomach" Thread - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > General Forum Discussions > General Off-Topic Discussions

General Off-Topic Discussions Non-Road Glide Topics

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Life Member

Default "Sick to your stomach" Thread

So, I searched and didn't find a thread of things that made us "sick to our stomach's" that have happened to our beloved sharks.

I will start

I have been working on some stretched saddlebags and the such and finally had them finished for the Lone Star Rally in Galveston to have a pinstripper lay the final touch. The bags were great and the pinstripe finished it off like a cheap hooker to a young grade school boy.

Anyways, a week later, one of the bolts came lose to the saddlebag strap holder thingy so I put some loctite on the thread and screwed it back in. Didn't think anything of it. The next morning I find a a drip line of loctite all the way down the saddlebag and onto the pinstripe. This is when I got that "sick to stomach feeling". well, it wouldn't come off and some spot it rubbed paint off b/c it got kinda soft.

Back to the drawing board or more like the paint booth.

.....So what has been your "sick to the stomach" moment?

"Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -Jerry Reed.

Last edited by Paul's Road Glide; 11-12-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 08:34 AM
Life Member

My sick to the stomach feeling occurs every time I put her up in the air on my cheap ass harbor freight lift. Even though I strap her in like she's jumping out of a plane, I still feel very unsure about that lift and what could happen!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:40 AM

Had my 7 up on my red craftman jack. Kinda wiggly but better than nothing.
Laying on the floor after putting a new rear tire up in it, put on the belt and was check the witness marks to line things up. Had a strap on it as it set for a day or so while i got the new rubber mounted on the rim.

Tightening up the axle nut, I managed to twist the LH side of the frame tube off the jack arm, and over she went, half gainer headed to the concrete floor.
I managed to jam my arm under the rear floorboard, got my leg under the front one, and thank god i had the strap on it.

Spent the next twenty minutes yelling for the wife( who was out back mowing) balancing a 700 lb motorcle. A quart of sweat and some 20 minutes of VERY careful fat guy yoga moves, I got around the far side and wiggkled it back onto the jack arm.

I know happily pay the 40 bucks to have a rear rire changed at the dealership.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:41 AM

Last June, I got that same feeling.

Even though I had corrected for the front tire that washed out in a curve on loose gravel, I "KNEW" I didn't have enough room to get back into the turn before going off the road and through a fence into a hay field.

At least it was still rideable when I picked it back up. I was 250 miles from home in the middle of nowhere. $7000 later, it was back on the road and good as new.

2012 FLTRU
110cid w/V&H Power Duals/Hi-Output, HD Heavy Breather, HD Race Tuner, J&M Rokker Series Front/Rear w/500w amp
2005 VN2000
125cid w/V&H Powershots and PC III. 116+ hp, 140+ lbs/ft torque. FOR SALE
1962 XLCH
Full on Custom Chopper w/many one-off parts.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Had my 7 up on my red craftman jack. Kinda wiggly but better than nothing.
Laying on the floor after putting a new rear tire up in it, put on the belt and was check the witness marks to line things up. Had a strap on it as it set for a day or so while i got the new rubber mounted on the rim.

Tightening up the axle nut, I managed to twist the LH side of the frame tube off the jack arm, and over she went, half gainer headed to the concrete floor.
I managed to jam my arm under the rear floorboard, got my leg under the front one, and thank god i had the strap on it.

Spent the next twenty minutes yelling for the wife( who was out back mowing) balancing a 700 lb motorcle. A quart of sweat and some 20 minutes of VERY careful fat guy yoga moves, I got around the far side and wiggkled it back onto the jack arm.

I know happily pay the 40 bucks to have a rear rire changed at the dealership.
Holy Hell. Thats the image I play in my head everytime I put it up on the lift. The bike tipping over, not your fat guy yoga moves...
Old 11-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Hangaround

i had everything set (as i have 100 times) with a block under the kickstand and various bungees pulling from the bars to the garage door track overhead. tight as a drum....i should mention the 100 times would have been on the heritage. this was about the 2nd time for the glide. i had just finished putting the halo's on the headlamps and got the front end back together. the earth had to of tilted on its axis to have thrown my perfect system off like it did, but she started to go. in my moment of panic, i grabbed the first thing i could find to try to secure it before it got really bad. it was after the "pop--pop" that i realized i had grabbed the open lid. yes...i tried to stop the bike from tipping over by grabbing the plastic lid. thanks to superglue i am no worse for wear, but the feeling will remain every time i think about it.

sick to my stomach
Old 11-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Life Member

too many to mention
1.Had my bike on a lift while replacing my 250 watt J&M amp. the fan was making a lot of noise on the amp. bike fell over when hydraulic lift failed(got cold out, and i didnt engage the lock on the lift. Cracked my Painted Inner Fairing.( but this was my 3rd inner fairing. stock one was peeling, upgraded to a painted, that painted one cracked( covered under warranty),got a 3rd inner fairing and had it painted,this is the one that cracked when bike fell over)

2. couldnt get my shed door to shut, because a bicycle was in the way. I pushed hard to get the door shut, only to push the bicycle over into my Road Glide, left a nice big scratch on the back of the saddlebag from the pedal of the bicycle

3. Got pissed on one day when riding. Suspected mice. opened up the fairing, to find a huge nest with 10 baby mice. They ate up the foam pad from the J&M Audio kit, chewed through speaker wires.

... and many more!~
Old 11-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Hangaround

My moment is oh so vivid. Took the RG out for a ride Friday because it was probably the last warm day in Michigan. About a 1/2 mile from home I'm doing 45 MPH in the inside lane and notice a vehicle go from the outside lane to the left hand turn lane and back in an odd manner. I let off of the throttle until I was sure the driver made up her mind to get back into the left hand turn lane. So there I am in my own lane with the car two lanes away now so I pick up my speed. Out of no where the car jerks over two lanes right in front of me to make a right turn into a high school. I lock'em up and slam in the back of a Pontiac. 16 year old girl said her Tom Tom told her to go left but she decided to go right and didn't look. She was nice enough to tell me how beautiful my bike was, how sorry she was, never saw me, blah blah blah. Now I'm pissed but suprisingly I didn't go down. Progressive coming out tomorrow to assess the damage. I'm bummed out that I babied the bike for some idiot to ruin it in a flash but the important thing is it could of been worse obviously. Lesson learned.

Last edited by PAC MAN; 11-12-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Prospect

My previous bike was an FLTHCUI (Ultra Classic). I made its tourpack detachable. In order to protect it from getting scratched, whenever I had it removed I kept the tourpack in my bedroom. After about a year or so I finally decided to purchase one of those tourpack mounts that you bolt up to a wall and keeps your TP safe and out of harms way..

First time I went to use it, As I lifted that heavy ass 55# tour pack I scraped the top of my TP against the bottom edge of the metal mount ..
It made a 2" long gouge on the lid...
should have kept it in the bedroom.......
Old 11-16-2012, 10:28 AM

I was putting a new black engine guard on the bike. I had the old one off and was fitting up the new one. I slipped the tongue at the top of the bar into the frame and realized the bolt i needed to hold it in place was across the garage. I took my hands off of the engine guard and realized it was wedged in there pretty good so i could walk away from it un bolted. I should have taken it back off becasue i got about 2 steps when it clanked down scratching and denting my front fender, frame and the bar itself. That shortcut made me feel really stupid and cost me some money.