What did you do to your Road Glide Today? - Page 303 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures

*General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-11-2012, 07:41 PM

Default Rewired for iPhone

Started out this morning with the intention of cleaning off the workbench and ramping up for winter projects. Got the floor swept and the bench cleared off, all the while thinking about how to connect the MP3 player to the stereo on the RG without audio and power cables strung in and out of the fairing pocket.

I've discussed this with a friend who explained to me that he had pulled the head unit and modified the aux circuit to run out the back of the unit, inside the fairing. Didn't see the need to go to that extreme - since replacing the head unit would take money away from other toys.

Finally worked out the following (sorry, no pictures):

1.) Removed the outer fairing and tied the lid to the left fairing pocket open with a length of wire to the handlebars.

2.) Drilled a small hole (just slightly larger than the input cable for an iPhone) just to the right of the head unit. Split the cable in the middle and fed it through the hole.

3.) Bought a USB plug (the round ones designed to fit into the accessory outlet), disassembled it and soldered about a foot of wire to both the 12 volt and ground connections. (red and black wire, of course.)

3.) Drilled an 11/16 hole and a hole identical to the one at the stereo head unit in the forward panel of the left hand fairing pocket.

4.) Fed the audio cable through the smaller hole, threaded it up to meet the 1st cable and reconnected it by soldering the individual wires, together and covering them with shrink wrap.

5.) Threaded the wires connected to the USB plug through the larger hole and spliced them into the accessory connector/cigarette lighter. (again, soldering the connections.)

6.) Connected iPhone to both power and audio to verify that it worked, as planned.

7.) Fed the USB plug, itself into the larger hole to check fit, glued it into place (Gorilla Glue - love that stuff) and taped it to hold while the glue dries. (duct tape, of course)

8.) Used a sparing amount of black permatex to seal the holes that the audio cables had been run through, in an attempt to make them water tight and hold them in place, so they don't rub through the insulation.

9.) Re-installed the fairing. (that is a b*tch to get back on those hooks, like everyone says...) Next time, I know not to pull the windshield off...

Glue should be dry by tomorrow and I am good to go. All the tunes and no cables hanging out of the fairing pocket.

One question, though... The inner and outer fairing don't seem to be lining up, exactly right at the edge nearest the fairing pockets. Not a huge gap - just larger than I think should be there. Any suggestions?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 08:19 PM

I had plans to start on the glide this weekend new lowers and paint the inner faring.

Last edited by Teebone; 11-11-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:25 PM

The Glide is off to Arlen Ness for some chrome lowers......it is no labor November I will posts some pictures after she gets out of surgery......
Old 11-11-2012, 09:05 PM

Such a nice day I took a ride down to Gulf Shores and Perdido Key beach down to the Shrimp Basket for some of these.

While watching this:

and this:

Apparently I was not alone with my idea.

Actually there were about 100 bikes there at the Flor-Bama on the way down. Still a nice day with my honey and my wife.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:04 PM

got the pins put on the alarm speaker from radio shack, now all i got to do is pop the side cowling and plug it in.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:38 AM
Prospect

Added 5 inch pullback risers. Wanted more height but didn't want to have to rewire new bars.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TearlessTom View Post
Did my 60,000 mile maintenance, Changed all three holes, filter, etc, then took it for a nice spirited ride down the only remotely curvy road in the area. Just changed out my head bearings a few weeks ago. It really made a big difference in the handling.

For those who didn't know the OEM bearings are made in Mexico and are very thin cases (for lack of a better word) I replaced all bearings Head and Wheels with ALL BALLS which is visually a heavier better built bearing.

Bike is running like a top at 60,000.!
Which bearing (part-number) did you take, because on their webpages http://www.allballsracing.com/ I can't select the hd brand?

regards, ch_bandit
Old 11-12-2012, 12:48 PM

bit cool to be riding, woke up to 14 degrees f, but I did get the rear fascia parts from HTHD! (Thanks PcPain) now just to find the time to instal

Old 11-12-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch_bandit View Post
Which bearing (part-number) did you take, because on their webpages http://www.allballsracing.com/ I can't select the hd brand?

regards, ch_bandit
Here are the pages from JPCycle

202-183 WHEEL BEARING KIT 2 $49.98

700-280 STEERING BEARING KIT 1 $22.99

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/700-280

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/202-183
Old 11-12-2012, 01:56 PM

Saturday, completed the 5,000 mile inspection.

Sunday, rode 220 miles with a group of friends. It may have been the last great weekend for weather here in Cincinnait.