Building my own detacheable tour-pak rack - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Do-IT-Yourself

Do-IT-Yourself For all those Do-it-yourself ideas that will save you some bucks

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Life Member

Default Building my own detacheable tour-pak rack

I have started building my own detacheable tour pak rack. I know...why you ask? 1: $180 for a new one through HD is riduculous in my opinion, 2: even if I bought one from HD I would still modify it.
One of the things I don't like about tour paks is how high they sit up. Yes I know that you can get a chopped pak or razor and it will be slimmer, but you lose some of your load capacity that way. So I wanted a shorter tour pak rack regardless.

So I talked to the guys in the machine shop at work and they are helping me with it. So far so good, it will sit about 1/2" off the fender which is what I wanted and it will have a little beefier support on the under side.
I have gotten the sides and the plates made and will be drilling the holes for the detacheable hard ware (got off Ebay for $25). It fits up to the attachment points perfectly ( I even got the plastic bushing dock pieces).

Hopefully I will have pics of the completed rack by the end of the week posted on here. I just wanted see if anyone else has tried or done this before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Prospect

Picks will be cool as Im sure its going to look very cool and needless to say a One-Of-a-kind .

My only concern would be putting on the tourpak and the 1/2" clearance off the fender.

Trying to align the docking points while holding up that heavy pak is going to be a mother. . Make sure you have a buddy with you each time you put it on...
Old 11-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Life Member

Thats actually a great idea man. They do sit up high and it does take away ailil something from the bike. I bought the detachable TP mount awhile ago along with a cheap ass ebay trunk. Im probably gonna buy the yaffe chopped pak and mount it but getting lower to the bike would be pretty bad ass.

Some people just need a high-five. In the head. With a chair
Old 11-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Administrator

If cost is a big decision factor, I've read some really good reviews on this bracket and its only $99

http://usa-biker.com/index.php?page=...hk=1&Itemid=28

If your looking to make something custom, sounds like a fun project...be sure to post lots of info!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmize View Post
If cost is a big decision factor, I've read some really good reviews on this bracket and its only $99

http://usa-biker.com/index.php?page=...hk=1&Itemid=28

If your looking to make something custom, sounds like a fun project...be sure to post lots of info!!!
I think his goal is to lower the height of the bracket to make it sit closer to the fender. Had i known about this one though i wouldve jumped on it instead of buying the HD one for twice the money

Old 11-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Life Member

Leave enough clearance to get the saddlebag lids open.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Prospect

Smile

I guess if ya got the time "go for it", however, having said that, if it fails off, the loss of a $ 1,500 tour pak is yours. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Life Member

I'd like to re-design mine, not so much to make it removable or lower profile, but to make it compatible with a solo seat. Just to move it forward.

No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Life Member

I believe that it will be stought enough to support the weight of the tour pak, I am putting two cross members on the underside for this purpose. I am putting a 1/4" rubber sheet inbetween the pack and the rack though as a vibration dampener so as not to cause anyproblems with the pack.
I have tested another tour pack sitting on top of it today and it leaves clearance to open the saddle bags if I am careful and don't just fling them up and open, but I usually don't do that anyways.
Please keep the opinions and suggestions coming cause I may have missed something.
As a few have said, its not so much a matter of cost as I want it lower. If I would have bought a HD rack I would have chopped and re-welded it back to lower it anyways. Plus it will be saving me a few dollars as I am making this for about $80 in expenses, not bad I don't think.
That one for $99 looks like a great deal for someone though.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLYDDN11 View Post
I believe that it will be stought enough to support the weight of the tour pak, I am putting two cross members on the underside for this purpose. I am putting a 1/4" rubber sheet inbetween the pack and the rack though as a vibration dampener so as not to cause anyproblems with the pack.
I have tested another tour pack sitting on top of it today and it leaves clearance to open the saddle bags if I am careful and don't just fling them up and open, but I usually don't do that anyways.
Please keep the opinions and suggestions coming cause I may have missed something.
As a few have said, its not so much a matter of cost as I want it lower. If I would have bought a HD rack I would have chopped and re-welded it back to lower it anyways. Plus it will be saving me a few dollars as I am making this for about $80 in expenses, not bad I don't think.
That one for $99 looks like a great deal for someone though.
I think its a great idea and would love to see pics when you are done with it. Im thinking about chopping and lowering the HD one i have too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.