Windshield not AS important as you might think (buffeting) - Page 3 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Windshields

Windshields Windshields for Road Glides
Sponsored by: Glide Air Deflector Systems

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-01-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
Will the HD wind deflectors fit a 2001? I already have the half moon deflector.
From the description on Harley's site:

Fits 98-later FLTR, FLTRX and FLTRU models. (Will not fit models equipped with the Fuel Tank retrofit mounting kit.)
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Hangaround

Sanchos are coming next. I will agree that the HD deflectors were an improvement and the price made it even better. I would say though if you have a passenger the windshield will make a big difference. I'm interested to know how the sanchos affected the passenger by the look of te design I bet it was a positive difference.
Thanks for the write up!
Old 11-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Grey beard

I know that my wife's SG has a lot less air hitting her (or me when I slum ) and all I did was add the dog dish/half moon deflector between the forks, the deflectors on the lower fork legs, Windvest 8" windshield and a Mustang seat. She's happy, that's all that matters

On mine I've added the dog dish, Sancho's Wings, Cee Bailey windshield (16" Euro), and a Mustang seat. I get a bit of air but it's pretty clean and manageable.

I've thought about adding the deflectors on the lower fork legs or the highway bar lowers but don't want to lose all the air flow. I have a truck for that. lol

Stephen
SEPRT
16" TRSSC Cee Bailey Windshield
Sancho's Wings
Mustang Seat
J & M Speakers
Drago's True Duals
Apparently not as black as I thought...

Old 11-12-2012, 07:52 AM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckMedic66 View Post
I havent done the hd deflectors yet but the sanchos helped a lot and im still running the stock shield. I think next spring im goin to grab the deflectors and add those on as well
Thanks for letting me ride your bike yesterday, Redneck.

Here are my observations from someone who is 5-10 with a 30" inseam (since his post he's added the HD deflectors):

A lot of wind blast, and wind noise. For me the wind noise is the biggest problem, but fighting wind will sap my energy on long rides.

So now I have to decide between CeeBaileys and Windvest when I get my FLTRU. I like the clean seam at the fairing that Ceebaileys has, but I dont know what benefit is other than cosmetic.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:13 AM
Life Member

The Harley Deflectors made a huge difference for me. I forget what install I was doing, but I forgot to put the deflectors back on before going for a test ride, and it was awful. That is when I looked down and saw the ooops, the deflectors were back in the garage. Put them back on, and it was back to smooooooooooth I also took out the half-moon deflector that mounts to the top of the forks. It seems that was working at cross purposes with the tank deflectors.

I don't have the wings, I have lowers. I take the doors out in summer, so it is not nearly as hot. I keep the lowers on because, with the magnetic doors, I actually use the storage (that is where I keep the sunblock!). In winter, the doors go back on, and get closed, and it really helps keep the legs warm.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Life Member

I bought my new 2012 FLTRX about three weeks ago and immediately realized that I needed to do something about the buffeting at highway speed. It was so bad I couldn't wear glasses (goggles were the only option) while running at anything over 60mph. After reading the postings here, I ordered HD wind deflectors, Sancho's wings and a 13" MadStad windshield. The HD deflectors arrived first so they went on first. Nice, simple installation and honestly made an instant improvement. A couple of days later the wings and the MadStad arrived. I installed the MadStad and went for a good long ride and all I can say is Holy siht! What an incredible difference! Where I was not even able to wear glasses, now I was able to cruise at 80mph and wear sunglasses while hearing my music perfectly! The difference was really amazing. If you're on the fence about buying one of these, I STRONGLY recommend that you take the plunge.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGCBandit View Post
For different people of different heights, the screen will still be an important step, but I was surprised to see how much more effective the other 2 mods were for me and my bike. I hope this helps others...

This has been more my experience, "the screen will still be an important step".
I have a 13' custom, stock shield, wings & the deflectors, neither one make a
difference, by themselves or together. At about 60-65, ears are being drummed
pretty bad, can't hear radio, blast coming over screen shaking glasses to the point
of blurred vision, knew the windshield was too short but was hopeful. I have a LRS
Mako on the way but hope to run a 8" black klock werks once I put my bars on and get
seating position back & down where I want to be. Then perhaps these other items
will be of some use
Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 PM

I've been through the whole game of Road Glide wind protections woes, for both driver and passenger. On my '09, the final solution was the wind deflectors, vented lowers, fork baffle, sancho's wings, and the 13" madstad. I added the madstad mainly for the passenger, but I couldn't complain about how great the air pocket was! Now that I've got my '13 ultra, with just the lowers, deflectors, and madstad, I cannot seem to get the air pocket near as nice as I used to. I'll credit this to Sancho's wings- I wont install them until after the inner fairing is painted. To anyone on the fence about Sancho's wings, regardless of windshield size and/or lowers, give them a try!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:59 AM
Hangaround

Great info thanks. I'll be picking up the HD deflectors and Sancho's Wings after reading this.

I do have one question after reading this thread and others (I hope this isn't hijacking the thread), what are these "dog dish" deflectors that folks talk about?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:14 AM
Prospect

Default Re: Windshield not AS important as you might think (buffeting)

Little half moon chrome piece that mounts on the fork, below the tank.