Thoughts on the CFR slip ons - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Intake and Exhaust

Intake and Exhaust Intake and Exhaust Systems for Road Glides
Sponsored by: Cobra

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Hangaround

Default Thoughts on the CFR slip ons

Only heard them on U-Tube! Sound pretty deep without being too loud. At this point I don't plan on going to stage 1 with breather and download.
Welcome comments.
Mike
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Hangaround

Installed a pair about two months ago. They have a deep sound and are pretty mellow until you hit the throttle, then they wake up and really sound like you are on a Harley. Went on a 700 mile trip right after I put them on and had no problem hearing the radio at highway speeds. If you stay off the throttle until you are clear of the neighbors they probably won't complain. I ran them with stock breather and stock head pipe. I just put a V&H heavy breather on and it feels like there is more power and torque and that was with a dealer tune. Next step is V&H power duals and I am told the CFR's might getaway little louder. Can't wait to find out. IMHO these pipes are great and look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-09-2012, 10:42 PM

i installed a pair on my stock bike, they are loud and low deep tone that you can feel in your chest when you get on it. i love them and i can still hear the radio fine.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:49 AM

Just a head's up I've spoken to Cary Faas, the maker of CFR and he say's you NEED a tuner even if you do only slip on's these pipes are extremely high flow and throw off even a stock bike with nothing else done to it! Take it from my experience.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Life Member

Not that I don't believe you but was thinking about buying these and need to be sure. Anyone else hear this? CFRs aren't the only hi flow 4" slip ons so why the need for a tune.

I will make sure to call before pulling the trigger though. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Prospect

Remove the cat, put a stage one kit on it and your CFR's will rock. All the other pipes sound the same! CFR's have a very unique and deep throatie sound all there own. You will love them.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:21 AM

Glideshark, Like I said, I spoke to Cary Faas himself, had a problem with the first set of pipes I ordered and he was livid that dealers were saying his pipes are slip ons with no need for a tuner. Even on a stock bike he requires a tuner to be added. Words from his mouth not mine, they are basically an open flow thru design, very little back pressure and will throw off the bikes tune enough to damage the chrome plating on them from running to lean. I have the CFR's with Drago's head pipes and SE254E cam's installed, these pipes are loud! Amazing how much louder they get when you install a cam.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:50 AM

This is on Iron Aces website

** Please note that adding CFR Slip-ons to stock Harley-Davidson 103" and 110" engines will require the bike to be re-tuned otherwise discoloration may occur. **
Old 11-13-2012, 04:17 AM
Life Member

So, whats the recommendation on tuner? I have a set of CFRs waiting on me at home but I didn't plan to do my stage 1 for a few months. What tuner can I buy with some sort of map for CFRs on a stock motor but also will allow for a full dyno tune later when I do stage on upgrades?
Old 11-13-2012, 04:29 AM
Grey beard

In a conversation I had with Jamie at Fuel Moto he said the CFR pipes are really hard to get a good tune with. I didn't inquire too deep since I really hadn't considered them. But gotta admit with all I hear about them I am wanting to hear them in person.