Lower fairing question - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Equipment-RG

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-13-2012, 10:23 AM

Default Lower fairing question

I know this has been beaten to death, but my search gave me some conflicting info.

I have a guy with a 2005 flhtcu that I can get his lower fairings for a good price. He says they are vented and came like that new on the bike from Harley. Will they work on my 2010?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Life Member

Yes they will work. You can use either the vented or non-vented on your 2010 bike. The vented fairing lowers will fit 1983 and later touring models except for the 1998 - 2009 FLTR. The 1998 -2009 FLTR requires the non-vented fairing lowers.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:18 AM

Thanks ironmark!

Old 11-13-2012, 12:37 PM

The top caps may need the inner lip that covers the engine guard slightly trimmed to clear the lower fairing mounts.

On the after market set that I got I had to trim about 1/2 inch off the caps with a hack saw to clear the lower fairing mounts.
2011 FLTRX, 103 Power Pak, Stage 1 with Power Vision and V & H Power Duals, SE A/C, Cee Bailey TRSSC 15", Progressive 940 rear,Mono Tubes Front, C & C Fastback Seat and some extras in black here and there

Previous HDs
2005 Annv FLSTFI, Stage II 95 kit, lowered 2" - SOLD
2004 Road King Custom - SOLD
2004 Sportster 1200 r, Stage 1 - SOLD
Old 11-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaran View Post
The top caps may need the inner lip that covers the engine guard slightly trimmed to clear the lower fairing mounts.

On the after market set that I got I had to trim about 1/2 inch off the caps with a hack saw to clear the lower fairing mounts.
If the fairing lowers are HD then they will not need any trimming or modifications. The HD fairing lowers will fit perfect on the bike.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmark View Post
If the fairing lowers are HD then they will not need any trimming or modifications. The HD fairing lowers will fit perfect on the bike.
I have to disagree with you ironmark, from that year bike you will have to trim about 1-1/2 inches off the part that's on the engine guard, very simple, ask me how I know.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbell66253 View Post
I have to disagree with you ironmark, from that year bike you will have to trim about 1-1/2 inches off the part that's on the engine guard, very simple, ask me how I know.
I would disagree with you on this, if you had to trim your HD fairing lowers then you put them on wrong. I took my 08 and installed the 2010 fairing brackets and then installed the vented fairing lower from HD and there was no trimming required. The fairing brackets I installed were the exact same brackets that come stock on the 2010 and later models FLTR models. If you want to go cheap and get aftermarket fairing lowers then trimming may be required. The bottom line is if HD makes the parts then the parts will fit for the application mentioned.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:50 AM

I've just done this mod (this very afternoon in fact). The lowers came of an 08 E-Glide, onto my '12 RG. Approx 1.5 inches had to come off the fairing cap extensions where they cover the engine guard (towards the frame), as the RG has a fairing mount there that the EG doesnt.

dc
Old 11-24-2012, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCam View Post
I've just done this mod (this very afternoon in fact). The lowers came of an 08 E-Glide, onto my '12 RG. Approx 1.5 inches had to come off the fairing cap extensions where they cover the engine guard (towards the frame), as the RG has a fairing mount there that the EG doesnt.

dc
Thanks for confirming what I said, if the lowers are from 10 up, they will fit, 09 back, they have to be trimmed, if you go to a local dealer and look, you will see there is a difference.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:04 AM
Hangaround

It took a while to find it, but there is a great posting on the cvo forum about this. I am in the process of changing fairing mounts and installing lowers. Here is a pic of the old vs new lowers. The pre '10 is on the left.

lowers.JPG

and the link to the posting:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=43537.0