small nail in tire? - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Wheels and Tires

Wheels and Tires Section for Roadglide wheels and tires

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Hangaround

Default small nail in tire?

took a ride from jersey to baltimore harbor yesterday taking advantage if the nice weather.
upon arrival notice a small nail in the rear tire, almost in the center of the tire. as of today its not leaking air. was told by others yesterday,patches/repairs are not good? i know plugs are frowned upon ,but patches inside the tire? only have 7500 miles on the tire and obviously its the first time having this issue ever.

Last edited by CPY84; 11-12-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Grey beard

did you pullthe nail out? do that for sure,or it will work it's way through the tire.

Good way to check for air leak,is a bit of spittle or soapy water on the hole after you pull the nail and see if it bubbles.

you don't want to be going down the highway and throw the nail out and get a flat at speed.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Hangaround

no. nail is still in it. road home that way.goes into the shop tonight for oil change and i will have the tire repaired at the same time if they do it.
i didnt pull the nail 200 miles from home

Last edited by CPY84; 11-12-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Prospect

At the dealers PULL THE NAIL, if there is any question REPLACE THE TIRE. We are talking your life here.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Life Member

No Harley Dealer is going to patch or plug the tire. Sounds like it didn't make it through and needs to be pulled. I had a similar experience and the nail was short, and went in at an angle. Pulled it out and never lost air. Put another 13k on the tire before replacing it.

'12 Candy Colbalt Twilight Blue FLTRXSE
Fullsac C Pipe, Fullsac 2" Cores, TTS Mastertune, WO515 Chubby Bars, Wheel Dock EZup, Daymakers, Madstad 13"....
Old 11-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Grey beard

Say what you want, think what you want and I'm not advocating this either. Oh and if you want to bash me for saying this go ahead, I'm pretty thick skinned.
Plug it. I got a sheet metal screw in the center of my rear tire with only 4thousand or so miles on it. I pulled the screw and installed a cord type automotive tire plug. I now have about 8,500 miles on it and you cant even tell theres a plug in the tire. The trick is to use a razor and trim the excess flush or even a little recessed from the tire tread. If you just cut it off with side cutters and leave some excess about the tread of the tire you chance tearing it out or loose when you accelerate or brake hard. I know where the plug is in my tire and I check it often just in case. This is the second time I have plugged a rear tire on a motorcycle and I have been successful both times. Some will claim that the tire will blow out from this but that isnt the case. Wost case is the plug starts to leak and the tire will loose air slowly. You'll know when it get low by the way it feels and handles if your an experienced rider.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Prospect

Angry

"The trick is to use a razor and trim........"

I am NOT risking my life on a "trick"

life is too short as it is, buy a new tire.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Hangaround

well i got lucky. barbs just called and the nail was short. they checked air pressure last night and it was 42lbs. pulled the nail and they checked it twice today,still 42lbs.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Hangaround

i forgot.they said they would have patched it on the inside as it was a skinny nail
Old 11-13-2012, 02:19 PM

TMD, for whatever it may be worth I echo your sentiments. In the 60's and 70's I was in the auto parts business (some wholesale, some retail, some "wagon peddling") and sold LOTS of boxes of tire plugs. Back then it was difficult to get someone to patch a tire--they all plugged them, assuming it was a small nail hole. Never had problems. Plugging was the acceptable standard of the day. Of course that was before radial tires became the norm on cars and a steel belt in a tire might make a particular tire puncture not suitable for plugging depending on the location of the hole versus a steel belt.

It appears to me tire plugging is a victim of the many over cautious attorneys but in their defense folks are more prone to sue these days and whenever possible blame everyone and everything else for whatever their problem(s) may be.

I have sold a lot of tire plugs but never had the occasion to plug a tire myself. But I already have my Stop & Go tire plugging kit with mushroom type plugs ready to load into my saddlebags as soon as my d*** RGC is ready for pickup--but at least my new bike is here, arrived at the dealer last Friday and why they didn't already have the exhaust system in stock I told them I wanted when I ordered the bike on 8/20 is beyond me !!!

And while cruising the many roads I intend to cruise, I will feel a little better knowing I have my plugging kit that just MAY get me out of a tight spot one of these days.

Louisville Joe