small nail in tire? - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Wheels and Tires

Wheels and Tires Section for Roadglide wheels and tires

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Prospect

After talking to a bunch of people that have plugged their tires and not had problems,I decided to do the same. Been a few thousand miles & no problems. Mind you, it was the rear tire & not front.
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Life Member

I have plugged many cage tires. Got one of the mushroom head kits in the saddlebag.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:57 PM

Ya know its a bummer when you get a nail or a screw to start with but the thought of having to buy a new tire when the tire only has 122 miles like I got this weekend . Well I guess another 158.00 is better then having the BAD thoughts running In my mind ...Just Saying ..I'm new to this ya a nubee , I've never posted anything but I wanted some input .... Thanks
Old 02-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmd View Post
Say what you want, think what you want and I'm not advocating this either. Oh and if you want to bash me for saying this go ahead, I'm pretty thick skinned.
Plug it. I got a sheet metal screw in the center of my rear tire with only 4thousand or so miles on it. I pulled the screw and installed a cord type automotive tire plug. I now have about 8,500 miles on it and you cant even tell theres a plug in the tire. The trick is to use a razor and trim the excess flush or even a little recessed from the tire tread. If you just cut it off with side cutters and leave some excess about the tread of the tire you chance tearing it out or loose when you accelerate or brake hard. I know where the plug is in my tire and I check it often just in case. This is the second time I have plugged a rear tire on a motorcycle and I have been successful both times. Some will claim that the tire will blow out from this but that isnt the case. Wost case is the plug starts to leak and the tire will loose air slowly. You'll know when it get low by the way it feels and handles if your an experienced rider.
I have plugged a few tires as well without issue. If the leak is small for a single plug, I will take the risk if its the rear tire.
12 Black RGC / Stage II / 2-1-2 exhaust / Woods 222 cams / PV-1 / SE Touring Mufflers / 12" Wind Vest / Rockers 7.25 / Sancho Wings / Blackend Heritage bars / Mustang diamond seat / 944 progressive shocks / Painted inner fairing & Mean mug
Old 02-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Life Member

Default I plug

i plug, and on long hauls carry a 12v air compressor and plug kit. Rather ride a plug to the next dealer, than sit out in east Jabip with a flat tire.
I got tire insurance when I bought my bike. I joke about having a sheet metal screw in my tool bag.

Trailers are for Boats!!
Old 02-18-2013, 06:26 PM
Hangaround

This is an individual decision and I wouldn't take anyone else's advise. It's your ass and only you can decide what that's worth.

Personally, I have a repair kit on the bike to try and make a repair that can get me to a bike shop if needed. I would treat it only as temporary, ride SLOW, and get a new tire asap.

My ass is worth a lot more than a couple hundred bucks.

12 Road Glide Custom