Tire problem - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures

*General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Prospect

Again, I want if possible to buy and support a USA made tire, however there have just been too many long term (since Sept 08) ongoing issues with these tires,....... Dunlop, if you read these treads be advised, I have purchased many of your tires in the past, I realize things can go bad, but you have had had almost 4 years to FIX the issues with these tires and have elected not to do so,

When I called them in the past they would always discuss & try to resolve the issue, now when you call them they refer you to HD. I'm very surprised the motor company has put up with this situation as long as they have.

if & when Michelin makes this size, I will never buy a Dunlop again. I just hope in the meantime nothing really BAD happens, cause if it does, there is enough documentation, returns & no cost replacements at this point that you will not have a leg to stand on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Grey beard

Angry

Take a look- this is scary! Dealer won't touch it, gave me Dunlops #, even though a purchased the tire from them! Got to call Dunlop today and see what they say, Cross my fingers they stand behind their products but no holding my breath.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trip Report 11-09-2012 034.jpg (87.8 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Prospect

this is something I know alot about. I didnt get 1k miles on my new bike before I noticed my front tire cupping and wearing like a 1" patch just off center of the tire. I complained and was blown off by my dealer. Then I brought the bike in for its 5k service and it showed even more wear, once again I tried to complain and he told me it was cause my air pressure was like 4 pounds low. (he did mention that this was a commom problem found in the Dunlop tire). I pretty muched figured that I was stuck with the tires and after I had so many problems just getting everything I paid for when I first bought the bike. (a story I will not get into). I had no fight left in me. I just wanted to ride my new scooter that I waited so long for. My dream bike. I walked into the dealer and bought my dream bike. Then had to fight for everything. now I am having to go in and replace my tires Both front and rear. My rear is so cupped that I feel in in the garage when I back out. the front now is shredding apart and now is not safe. I have 10,500miles on them both. I have heard everything from neck being loose to bad wheel bearings to something called fall-away? However, I am convinced that these Dunlap tires are s**t.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Life Member

I had a set of elite 3's on my road king that was the only set that I liked went mich commanders and the handling is much better no slip and slide on sealed road cracks or floating in a sharp curve I have tried a lot of tires and the commanders or the best handling will see how long they last
Old 11-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Grey beard

SURE -- The # dealer gave me wasn't even a # for Dunlop!!! Go figure!! Emailed owners daughter, she is the HOG chapter dealer rep and since I am on the board and a road captain, maybe I'll get some action from her- HOPEFULLY??? Keep you all posted.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltreagle View Post
Take a look- this is scary! Dealer won't touch it, gave me Dunlops #, even though a purchased the tire from them! Got to call Dunlop today and see what they say, Cross my fingers they stand behind their products but no holding my breath.

I called Dunlop with the same issue cracking around the complete right side. , again I was told to take it up with my dealer. I was also told by them that the cracking was not a safety issue & not to worry about it. Guys I really believe there is a problem with these tires, & believe we as a group need to do something about it, I'm saving my front tire, & I am going to make some calls to see if it can be sent to a 3rd party to determine what is going on (of course at my own expense) I will report what information I obtain, based on that I may attempt to start some type of legal action,

l
Old 11-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Life Member

Sure sounds like "yellow rain", I've heard the Seattle PD changes theirs (dunflops) to Metzlers from the get go, then the dealers sell them off. Anyway, tube or not, it is a safety issue, would the owners of the company ride around on split, substandard, poorly formulated, unavoidable excuse for ....
Old 11-13-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettjocky View Post
My problem is the 09CVO RG..... FLTRSE3 uses
130/70b18
180/55b18

these tires are not used on the other 09 Screaming eagle bikes, or other 09s.
Dunlop makes the elite 3 in a size that fits the front, I ordered one on Monday. I don't know if it is a new size or not as I did not find it on my first round of tires. It is still a Dunlop, but maybe the side wall will stay together.

I still have not found a substitute for the rear, for now we are stuck with the OEM tire.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:46 PM
Prospect

I did not know that thanks for info, however as I suspect you are aware changing tread patterns from front to back is not recommended, but again thanks for info.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:18 AM

Where (or rather who) is it NOT recommended to change tread pattern between front and back - I've never heard of this before

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.