Miles to empty digital display. FYI: - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures

*General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-14-2012, 01:17 AM

Default Miles to empty digital display. FYI:

Just thought you'd want to know, if you don't already....

When your digital display of mileage stops displaying miles and displays "LOW", you have less than 5 miles to get gas before she stops running.

Don't ask me how I know....
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 01:39 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGCBandit View Post

When your digital display of mileage stops displaying miles and displays "LOW", you have less than 5 miles to get gas before she stops running.

doesn't sound fun
Old 11-14-2012, 01:53 AM
Hangaround

you can get 20 to 25 miles because when it goes to low it means you're just under half a gallon... it was how the system was designed to encourage you, as the rider, to just go ahead and fill up at your earliest opportunity before you really run into the possibility of running out of gas FO RILLS! Ask me how I know.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:25 AM
Grey beard

If you slow way down your mileage will improve and the LOW light may go away for a bit. In May while on US HWY 375 in Nevada we skipped a town (Caliente) with gas and proceeded on, thinking Rachel had a station. 20 miles out my miles to empty warning came on and I checked my GPS for a station- none listed ahead until Tonopah, some 70 miles away.

We turned around and ran at 50 mph back to Alamo and the miles to empty actually went up as high as 53 miles. When I topped off the bike took 5.8 gallons.

It took the rest of the day for the mushroom on my seat to flatten back out.

'03 Deuce: 87k miles and counting, '11 RGU: 65k miles and counting. Celebrating 40 years in the saddle in 2014.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:15 AM
Life Member

I have pushed a couple of my Harleys not fun but dont want to this one plus gas is what cools the fuel pump so try not to let the little fuel pump to come on and 230 miles my ass is ready to get off
Old 11-14-2012, 05:19 AM
Grey beard

Ive run out of fuel with 10 miles till empty showing on my guage. Luckily i was turning into the station as it died. I try to fill up as soon as the miles til empty dummy light comes on.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:44 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGCBandit View Post

its a good idea for each owner to get to know their bike and not apply one person's experience to all. when my light comes on, and digital goes to low, i still have almost 3/4 gallon.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:06 AM
Grey beard

I haven't run out, but it ain't accurate and it ain't linear! And it recomputes quite frequently. When my "Miles Remaining" came on, I think it showed around 41 miles. The first 15 miles was OK-it still showed around 25 miles left. I was then only 6 miles from gas. Then it dropped progessively faster-in that 6 miles it went from 25 to 18 to 14 to 8, then LOW as I pulled into station. And NO, I wasn't riding in first gear. Trust that sucker at your own risk!

_________

"Help Put An End to Women's Suffrage!"
Old 11-14-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skratch View Post
its a good idea for each owner to get to know their bike and not apply one person's experience to all. when my light comes on, and digital goes to low, i still have almost 3/4 gallon.
I'm glad no one else thinks like this. We would gave a total of 3 threads on the entire forum.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:26 AM
Grey beard

Every bike is different it seems. My current Street Glide still has 1/2 gallon when it reads empty on the MTE display. This equates to around 18-20 miles with my mileage. With one of my past bikes when it ready empty you had better be getting really close to a gas station. Ask me how I know.

Best thing to do is be around a gas station and run it down to empty on the gauge a few times then calculate how much fuel is left and how many miles you can get with what it remaining. Use that as a guideline only as varying conditions can obviously change your miles per gallon.