When trailering a RG? - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Equipment-RG

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerglasses View Post
I have the canyon dancer but they don't fit my street glide bars. I used "furry" straps around each bend of handlebars and then another set around passenger pegs and was nice on the trailer.

Sent from my SCH-I535
I used them for my old Honda VFR, i didn't think about the difference in bar widths. hopefully i'll never have to trailer my RGU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Life Member

I haul my bike from AZ to MI and then back to AZ every year in a 6x10 enclosed trailer and I just use long ratchet straps and loop the strap over the lower triple tree, That way you don't need soft ties because both hooks are attached to the tie downs on the trailer floor. I also cinch my bike down real good because I found it to be better that the bike doesn't bounce around in the trailer so I compress the forks about 3/4 of the way, in the back I put the straps to the saddle bag guards and I cinch them down good as well. When just hauling the bike to the shop or on short trips like a few hundred miles and I don't have anything else in the trailer I don't even mess with tying down the back of the bike, I only tie down the back of the bike on my cross country trips because I have other items in the trailer and I want to make sure nothing moves. I never had any damage to the bike or the suspension by hauling the bike either way and this is my 4th year of hauling the bike across country.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdY39 View Post
Get long "soft ties" and put them around the front frame right above where the crash bar mount is located. I've been using this location for many years with never a problem (both without a chock and with a chock).
+1, I've found this location works best for me with a chock. Never tried it without one.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:50 PM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkieglide View Post
Attach padded loops around front fork fender mounts and rachet straps to the loops. This ties down the front end without compressing the suspension or rubbing any painted surfaces.
+ 1. If you do it this way the bike is locked in place and the suspension still works for bumps. I have done it this way for years never had a problem. I know a guy that tied off to his frame with suspension partially compressed one of the straps got slack and bike fell through the side of his trailer.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:37 PM

I have the harbor freight chocks that I have bolted to the frame of my trailer. I cut some 4by4 long enough to fit under the frame rails and attached some rubber pads on top of them to not scratch the paint on the rails. I attach my ratchet straps to the engine guard mounts and pull down, with the wood under the frame rails in only collapses the forks about 1/4 in and is snug in front. I then put a strap around the rear wheel and tighten it up. Logged many miles this way.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:09 AM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmark View Post
I haul my bike from AZ to MI and then back to AZ every year in a 6x10 enclosed trailer and I just use long ratchet straps and loop the strap over the lower triple tree, That way you don't need soft ties because both hooks are attached to the tie downs on the trailer floor. I also cinch my bike down real good because I found it to be better that the bike doesn't bounce around in the trailer so I compress the forks about 3/4 of the way, in the back I put the straps to the saddle bag guards and I cinch them down good as well. When just hauling the bike to the shop or on short trips like a few hundred miles and I don't have anything else in the trailer I don't even mess with tying down the back of the bike, I only tie down the back of the bike on my cross country trips because I have other items in the trailer and I want to make sure nothing moves. I never had any damage to the bike or the suspension by hauling the bike either way and this is my 4th year of hauling the bike across country.
This for the win! Just hauled my bike from Canada to AZ, 1500 miles in a open uhaul trailer with built in chock, worked great, did not budge at all! I guess I busted the uhauls ass by doing 75mph instead of the recommended 55mph.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:33 AM
Hangaround

If you go to your local dealer and ask, more than likely they will give you the straps Harley uses to ship their bikes. They are soft straps and every dealer has hundreds of them. I also picked up one of the pallets that Harley uses to ship with and bike rides like a dream on it. Has a raised center so bike bottoms out before shocks are collapsed and never moved an inch from California to Florida.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:51 PM
Hangaround

I've heard this before but never got a good reason. Why shouldn't you compress the front forks when trailering?
Tks.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:10 PM
Grey beard

Constant pressure on the seals and springs over time not so good. Leakage will happen as well
Old 01-15-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Why shouldn't you compress the front forks when trailering?
Just dont compress them all the way down to the stop. I go maybe 1/2 way down on the front to keep a strain on the straps.

I do the wood block under the frame also, find it far more stable. I dont have a chock yet. I hook two straps fwd, two backwards off the rear , and I have been known to get some bath towels and put a strap over the seat and tie it down in the middle. ( roads are pretty crowned up here )