Deer strike at 45mph - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures

General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-14-2012, 11:17 PM

Default Deer strike at 45mph

At 7am this morning in 35 degree weather I was T-boned by a large deer. I was on my way home from work and fortunately was wearing my heated gear, including outer pants with armour in the knees. I was also wearing my bulletproof vest from work underneath my other layers. I was travelling 45mph when it struck me. I took a hard hit to the ribs and my left knee when she tried to climb on board with me.

I'm not sure how, but in spite of being hit so hard I was forced off the road into the grass, I was able to keep the bike upright and come to a stop gradually about 100 feet or more from where I was hit. I actually made it back onto the road and into a driveway where I came to rest. Maybe it was the old motorman training or maybe just good luck.

The damage to the bike is excessive. The front fairing is damaged and possibly the front forks bent. The driving lights were snapped off up front. The tank is pretty scratched up. The worst damage was to the rear. The tourpak essentially exploded and all the contents, including my duty belt, were scattered down the road behind me. I was dragging what was left of the tourpak behind me. The bags are scratched up as are most of the parts. At first glance I would guess the damage is probably in the range of $7,000 to $10,000 but that is strictly a guess.

The deer went down but upon limping back to my duty belt and getting my gun, she must of decided she didn't want to be dinner tonight. She bolted from the scene.

I had the bike towed in to HD Atlanta and they have already started working on the damage estimate. Progressive is also doing their part. Quite frankly, I would normally be extremely upset, however I am just so amazed and blessed that I walked away from this without more serious injuries. The bike can be fixed or replaced.

2013 Roadglide Ultra, Big Blue Pearl. Madstad 13 inch windshield, KSTKustoms 16 inch 'Mayhem' apes, Mustang lowdown seat, Ohlins 2-2a rear shocks, Comfort rear crash bars, Airwing tourpak rack, 360 adjustable highway pegs, 'bright ass light' taillight, Boom speakers and amp, Daymaker headlight, Motolights running lights...buncha other crap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 11:25 PM
Hangaround

Glad you're ok, the bike and accessories are replaceable but you are not! Hope things work ok with you're insurance. Progressive has stood by me in a less serious situation. Good luck!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:28 PM
Life Member

Wow. Glad you're OK. They sure can do a lot of damage.

Life is Good
Old 11-14-2012, 11:30 PM
Life Member

Wow. Glad that you are ok and had the skills to keep it upright. Could have easily been a different outcome.

RT
Old 11-14-2012, 11:33 PM
Life Member

We should be able to shoot deer while riding. Glad your ok brother.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:59 PM
Life Member

I got to say that youre one lucky sumbitch. That couldve been alot worse. Glad to hear you made it man

50,000 battered women and i still eat mine plain
Old 11-15-2012, 12:15 AM

Wow, I'm glad you're okay. I can't believe how much damage was done the your bike.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:28 AM
Administrator

hehe I got a couple scuffs on mine and the tour pak wouldnt get a watertight seal around the lid after someone backed into me last month and got $3200 for the damage .. Course my adjuster was a G.O.B. from South Georgia who rides as well ..

do what I did when I ordered my tourpak and get the ultra style wrap around lights .. Mine came in Tuesday , less than two weeks from order to arrival

JtB
Old 11-15-2012, 12:52 AM
Grey beard

amazing job of keeping ti upright! glad you're ok.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:00 AM

Glad to hear you are ok.