Usa made products are painful - Page 4 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > General Forum Discussions > General Off-Topic Discussions

General Off-Topic Discussions Non-Road Glide Topics

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-03-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-BO 399 View Post
http://www.labor411.org
this is a web site I have been using lately.
Thanx for the link. Proud Teamster from local 107 here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Joe View Post
I for one do try to buy products made in the USA. And that's getting harder to do. But depending on the product I am shopping for, sometimes I do have a choice and, all things being equal, I will buy the American made product. But things aren't always equal. And my bottom line is that, as a consumer, I want the best value. If a product is made outside the USA and the quality is better, or if quality appears the same but the foreign product saves me a significant percentage then I will buy the foreign made product and don't feel guilty about it. I will try to buy American, but America must compete in this world economy. If the price of a product is jacked up above a comparable foreign made product then the loss of my purchase may be directly related to the factor(s) that caused the American product to be so much higher and those reasons can be many (inflated wages gained by their union, taxes, etc.)

Look at our auto industry as a prime example (and there are other examples as well--I'm not picking on the auto folks). Years ago those people just about priced themselves out of business and that allowed the foreign auto makers to gain significant inroads into auto sales here. The doped up assembly line worker who didn't give a s*** about any quality control put in his shift and pulled down a good living and we, as consumers, paid him waaaaay more than he was worth and we also paid the price(s) for shoddy vehicles (no offense meant to those auto workers who do care about doing a good job). How many years did that go on before the auto makers figured out they had to clean up their act if they wanted to stay competitive?

So, American workers, I would like to buy your products, but you must be competitive and earn my business. I will not subsidize you simply because you are American. My family has better things to do with our money than to pay extra for something.

Oh, and someone mentioned Levis no longer being made here. I wasn't aware of that but I stopped buying Levi jeans long ago after I saw a list on the NRA website that Levi Strauss & Co is a financial supporter of anti-gun organizations.

Just my $.02 worth,

Louisville Joe
Sorry I could't disagree with you more Joe. You apparently didn't apply this philosophy when you bought your union made Harley Davidson or you probably would have bought something else. Foreign car companies got a foothold in America in large part because they got better gas mileage than the American made vehicles, a failure of the CEO's of the American car companies to recognize what the consumers wanted, not the fault of the working men and women on the assembly line. We cannot as a country compete wage wise with places like China who pay slave level wages, that would be a race to the bottom and disastrous for our consumer driven economy. Buying foreign made junk at places like Walmart has killed more than just manufacturing in this country. Remember when a lawnmower or an appliance broke? You would take it to your local repair shop to get it fixed. Not anymore, now you either can't get parts for it or it's just cheaper to buy another new one to last another year or two. Many jobs lost there too. Even if buying American is more expensive initially it is better for our country in the long run. Sorry, rant over, but I really get offended when the blame for outsourcing of American jobs is put on hard working men and women who just want to be paid a fair wage they can support a family on when really it lies with the American consumer who wants cheap crap with no concern of the consequences of that want.

Last edited by jethro69; 11-03-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 12:23 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro69 View Post
Sorry I could't disagree with you more Joe. You apparently didn't apply this philosophy when you bought your union made Harley Davidson or you probably would have bought something else. Foreign car companies got a foothold in America in large part because they got better gas mileage than the American made vehicles, a failure of the CEO's of the American car companies to recognize what the consumers wanted, not the fault of the working men and women on the assembly line. We cannot as a country compete wage wise with places like China who pay slave level wages, that would be a race to the bottom and disastrous for our consumer driven economy. Buying foreign made junk at places like Walmart has killed more than just manufacturing in this country. Remember when a lawnmower or an appliance broke? You would take it to your local repair shop to get it fixed. Not anymore, now you either can't get parts for it or it's just cheaper to buy another new one to last another year or two. Many jobs lost there too. Even if buying American is more expensive initially it is better for our country in the long run. Sorry, rant over, but I really get offended when the blame for outsourcing of American jobs is put on hard working men and women who just want to be paid a fair wage they can support a family on when really it lies with the American consumer who wants cheap crap with no concern of the consequences of that want.
Well said,couldn't agree more
J Prescion Heads \ 10.5:1 \ T-Man 590 cam \ ThunderMax tuner \ Feuling cam plate and tensioners \ Jaggs cooler \ Progressive front end \ Dragos SC series pipe \ Top Shop Bags \ Yaffe 10 inch bars\ Hawg Wired ZX and RF inner fairing speakers 500 Watts and Lots more
Old 11-04-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pargenz View Post
The other side of that is that every business exists to make a profit. If you can't make it, you close the doors. If your widgets cost more than what the other widgets cost, no one will buy them.

Then there's the price/wage component.
We all want to pay as little as possible yet earn as much as possible. Not a recipe for a thriving manufacturing economy.

I buy American-made products whenever possible. And I try to shop locally, too. But, I do understand the dynamics of a world economy.
I agree with the above. Porfit is the reason a company is in business. Seems to me the ones who complain the loudest about the wages are the same ones who buy at China Mart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pargenz View Post
True. Just look at how many Walmarts there are. People flock to low prices, gladly giving up quality.

As to Germany, their location makes them an ideal transport hub in Europe. They are the world's leader in exports and have a hefty trade surplus (16 billion euros), compared to our deficit of 44 billion dollars.
I avoid Wal-mart at all costs.

Sam Walton would roll over in his grave if he could see what his stores and dreams have become. At first it was low price, American goods.

Now it is inferior extral low price non-american goods.

For example levis at walmart are not the same as the levis at the mall. Of course they are all chinees now.

Heck the Toyota Tundra is now more American made than the Ram 1500.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave View Post
For example levis at walmart are not the same as the levis at the mall. Of course they are all chinees now.

Heck the Toyota Tundra is now more American made than the Ram 1500.
When the last USA made Levis were being sold in 2004 I went out and bought as many pairs as I had money to buy. I had to search through the Pakistani, Mexican and Indian made ones to find the occasional USA versions. I wore size 33's back then but had the foresight to buy 34's and 35's knowing that I'd get fatter. Wish I'd have gotten 36's, too. LOL (that should be HO HO HO instead of LOL)

'03 Deuce: 87k miles and counting, '11 RGU: 65k miles and counting. Celebrating 40 years in the saddle in 2014.

Last edited by Andyman; 11-04-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Hangaround

When I went riding in the US last summer, bought a couple of t-shirts in different Harley dealers. Usually, I wear L size and I got screwed with a couple of shirts. They are not all of the same material and made in different country. Some L are more like really XL and some are more like M.

Also, all the ones that I chosen were from Nicaragua or Indonesia and were more expensive than the ones made in USA. Go figure???

Then again, lots of product are written made in USA and are not really. Some manage to go across the rules here...

I also remember in guitars back 20 years ago, when you had a Japan Fender or a Gibson (Epiphone), it was like having a cheep copy. Now, if you have one, you are lucky and they are going up in value 'cause they are good and the cheep one's are now the Mexican, Chineese and Korean models.

Will we see the day when we are gonna say, wow, it's made in China!!! Hope not.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid1 View Post
Not just the parts, but even some of the bikes are assembled overseas.
what hd is assembled overseas?
Old 11-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
Wish I'd have gotten 36's, too
my question is, did anyone takeover levi's domestic fabric source?

like husky took over craftsman's domestic tooling??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis C. View Post
Fender or a Gibson (Epiphone)
prefer gibson

Quote:
Originally Posted by skratch View Post
what hd is assembled overseas?
subscribed
Old 11-15-2012, 01:15 AM

Regarding HD's being assembled over seas... I think there was a story a few months ago about HD assembling bikes in India, but only to be sold in India and not imported to the US.

I finally saved up enough pennies to spring for a pair of USA made Wesco engineer boots. They are spendy, but wow, I am really impressed with the quality.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:44 AM
Hangaround

My sister is the biggest proponent of jobs going overseas, but she drives a foreign car, shops at Walmart and no where else, bitches about the cost of anything she buys. Lets store owners know "That's way too much,I can get that at Walmart for half the cost"! I feel like slapping her on a daily basis. I understand if you need to stretch your funds as far as possible. I love this place for clothing and gadgets...Duluth trading Co. and here is their take on American Made. How many of your products are made in the USA?
We continuously aim to source Duluth branded work wear from manufacturing partners based in the US. 20% of our product styles are made in America, including USA-made Ballroom Jeans (Kentucky), many of our work boots (Wisconsin) and most of our belts and Suspenders (California). We also select USA-made non-Duluth-branded items where we can, including 60% of the products in our recent Tool catalog.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.