Deer strike at 45mph - Page 4 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures

*General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Life Member

All I can say is wow!!!! but glad you came out almost unscathed.

"Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -Jerry Reed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 09:02 AM

Thanks guys.......

In response to getting the ultra wrap-around lights, I actually already had the smoked LED wrap-around lights and loved the look so I'll replace them with the same.

My ribs are feeling much better. Almost no pain at all. My knee is still bothering me but very little. My concern there is surgery that I had on it a few years ago from a motorcycle accident at work. I think it's okay so I'll give it a little time. I did put it on the record with progressive that I had some knee pain incase I need to get it checked out later in the week. I really think it's okay and just needs a few days to recover.

I had 3 people tell me yesterday that I should buy a lottery ticket. 3 is my 'lucky' number. When I bought the ticket last night the power ball number on the ez pick ticket was 3. Let's hope my bike will turn into a CVO :-)

I'm really picky about my vehicles. Usually if I get so much as a couple of grand in damage i'm at the dealership trading it once it's repaired. Like many have said, including myself, I'm fortunate to be able to talk about this. I've replayed it a million times. I'm surprisingly not concerned about the bike damage. I also wonder if the fairing being fixed, and taking the initial impact, played into the fact that I was able to keep it under control because of not causing a 'snapping' motion upon impact. It seems logical to me that if I was riding my old batwing that the impact would have been more likely to pull the steering to the left and take the bike down. As others have said, maybe somebody else took the bars for a minute and I was just along for the ride!!!

I love the color of the bike as it is, however if I end up with a complete paint job I will probably switch to the blue pearl. Progressive has always been great with me in the past but I've never had an 'at fault' accident, always the other driver. They certainly have been quick to contact me and have been very polite and professional. The rep did tell me this still is not considered an 'at fault' accident which is a good thing. I just wish one of the many witnesses had stopped to see if I was okay and could have given a statement to them. Nobody stopped which disgusts me. My deductible is $500. The fortunate thing is I carry a whopping $7,000 in accessory coverage. The reason for that is with my bike being a custom, the trunk and it's extras alone were $3,500 or so to have installed when I purchased. If I didn't have that coverage I would have likely been out of luck on getting that replaced. Looks like it paid to have that coverage.

I'll keep everybody posted on the insurance settlement outcome. Thanks for all the responses.
2013 Roadglide Ultra, Big Blue Pearl. Madstad 13 inch windshield, KSTKustoms 16 inch 'Mayhem' apes, Mustang lowdown seat, Ohlins 2-2a rear shocks, Comfort rear crash bars, Airwing tourpak rack, 360 adjustable highway pegs, 'bright ass light' taillight, Boom speakers and amp, Daymaker headlight, Motolights running lights...buncha other crap
Old 11-15-2012, 09:07 AM
Grey beard

Training, training, training.

Your mc training is what kept you from more serious and life threatening injuries. I am always amazed at how good training seems to take over instinctively when a situation arises like this.

Good on you for keeping the rubber side down and using your training to be able to walk away.

A lesson for all us on here to get some type of mc training at some point in our riding lives. A little can't hurt, a yearly refresher will make you a better rider.

Get checked out by a doctor, even if your injuries are slight. Best to have it on record for the future.
Calgaryglide. '08 Road Glide, Platinum White with wood trim, Thundermax Autotune, Dragula 2:1, Drago 510 cams, Glidepro motor mount and rear bushing, Zippers chain tensioners, K&N a/c, BAL, Rokker XTs and lots of other stuff.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Grey beard

Location: Main Residence Perth Western Australia, Secondary Varna Bulgaria, Satellite Houston

After looking at all the damage to your bike; your lucky to have keep it upright, get well soon, insurance can fix the bike.

Veritas Vos Liberabit{the truth shall set you free}
Old 11-15-2012, 09:39 AM

Sorry for the accident...but as others have said...Your Ok and that is all that really matters...Good Luck with the rest...remember it's just painted plastic....Your health is all that really means anything...
Old 11-15-2012, 09:42 AM
Grey beard

Glad to hear you're ok, it's that time of year when the deer run wild (the bucks are thinking with the wrong head).

Old Paratroopers Never Die We Go To Hell And Regroup!!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Hangaround

Training is one thing and I'm sure it played a part in you keeping the bike upright. But, it is lucky you had grass on the side of the road you went off and not a tree!!!! Very glad you are OK. Nice job keeping it up brother.

It's hunting season in many places, get out there and kill some deer everyone!!! With guns or bows that is, not bikes.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Shark of the Month July 13

so glad to hear that your okay and your making plans for your bike that you are going to get back on depending on how it comes out with the insurance
Old 11-15-2012, 10:15 AM
Grey beard

Glad to see you ar Ok, It is getting real bad here with the deer. I almost had the same exact thing happen the other morning on my way to work, luckily he turned and ran beside me for a bit (could have slapped him on the ass).....

Mike
12" WV, KW 2+2 Sweepers, ISO Grips, Jackpot Headers/Rush Slip-ons,Ventilator S/E Breather PCV, Alpine 149BT W/ Ipod , HW RS400 & CS300, HW 654's & Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5's up front and HW 654's in TourPak Pods.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Life Member

Had the same thing happen with my CVO in April. Your swag on the cost is pretty close. Drug the left side after impact on the right but kept it up. New TP, pipes, engine guard, front brake master cylinder, inner/outer fairing and some odds and ends.
Training really does kick in. Glad your OK. Heal up quick. Hope Progressive treats you right.