New Freedom Shield Review - Page 3 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Windshields

Windshields Windshields for Road Glides
Sponsored by: Glide Air Deflector Systems

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Life Member With a Grey Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckMedic66 View Post
I didn't get it either. Anyways any one have any info on how this compares to a windvest because they look very similar to me?
Ditto to this post. And I also have a WindVest. Looks almost identical to the OP's shield. Love mine; 14" and I'm 6-2. Just right for me.
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garemlin View Post
Um WTF did I miss here??? What are you getting your panties in a bunch about??? I simply asked you how it compared to other RG shields. And that so many manufacturers are getting into the RG windshield game they are all starting to look the same. What exactly is it that you and others seem to think I was offended by??? I am obviously missing something.
Seems it was probably just me and the way I read it. Sorry if I went off the table Garemlin - no harm intended. Now... back to the topic.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Hangaround

13HDGlide
Ok in order to help others decide on the right height shield (me) I have to ask how tall are you and what is your inseam?
Old 11-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Prospect

I'm 5'9" with 32" inseam and as far as shields I've had the wind splitter and it wasn't good above 60 mph , I used the windvest for a few days and it gave me a swirl right on top of my head , the FS seems to b a little wider right above mirrors than wv cause I don't get that air hitting me on cheeks , and as far as me getting my panties in a wad how u say that I'm not sure I just felt like u were telling me I was blowing up MY thread with pics and I like most people wanna see all angles before I decide on what choice ill make so I thought people would enjoy seeing those pics , maybe it was too much but it damn sure sounded like a smart ass reply to me ( we can see you !!! ) and I was polite in saying I would shut up and not start this childish fret back and forth so ONCE AGAIN I apologize if I offended anyone but BACK the F off me slick . To the other question about popping over these Arkansas hills with this shield is good and I look over and through it just fine but I have also been riding these hills for 30 yrs and that makes a difference
Old 11-15-2012, 10:10 AM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13HDGLIDE View Post
I'm 5'9" with 32" inseam and as far as shields I've had the wind splitter and it wasn't good above 60 mph , I used the windvest for a few days and it gave me a swirl right on top of my head , the FS seems to b a little wider right above mirrors than wv cause I don't get that air hitting me on cheeks , and as far as me getting my panties in a wad how u say that I'm not sure I just felt like u were telling me I was blowing up MY thread with pics and I like most people wanna see all angles before I decide on what choice ill make so I thought people would enjoy seeing those pics , maybe it was too much but it damn sure sounded like a smart ass reply to me ( we can see you !!! ) and I was polite in saying I would shut up and not start this childish fret back and forth so ONCE AGAIN I apologize if I offended anyone but BACK the F off me slick . To the other question about popping over these Arkansas hills with this shield is good and I look over and through it just fine but I have also been riding these hills for 30 yrs and that makes a difference
I'm sure the, "we can see you!!" was because your face was in the mirror. I'm sure it was all in fun. Smart azz maybe, but all in jest I'm sure. From what I can tell this board has playfull posters not critical posters like some other boards.

All the pictures are a big plus. You did fine. I'm sure there are a bunch very interested in this shield.

'07 HD Roadglide (2/2/12 - Current)
'01 ZRX1200R (8/29/06 - 4/30/12)
'91 VFR 750 ('04)
'87 FZ 600 ('03)
'86 YZ125 (86-89)
70's Honda Trail 70 (82-89)
Old 11-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Prospect

holy shit I had no clue no worries tho and once again I'm sorry Gman I opened mouth and inserted foot
Old 11-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13HDGLIDE View Post
holy shit I had no clue no worries tho and once again I'm sorry Gman I opened mouth and inserted foot
I've never done that...

...yeah, RIGHT I've never done that
Old 02-25-2013, 10:34 AM

I bought my first Harley last summer. It is an 05 Road Glide. 88 cubes with a power module, Rineharts, 12 inch shocks and a low profile seat. I will probably ride a "Glide" until they take away my little round Harley key. I say that, because for years I didn't understand what the fuss was all about riding a HD. I know now

My RG looks a lot like the Street Glide (just hard bags and back rest for the rider and driver and the 1 inch shorter shocks). All that said, it had an original HD shield on it when I bought it. I had to look through the shield most of the time... the turbulence, buffeting and windshield shaking was aggravating. I picked up a 6 inch Klock Werks black opaque and ran it for awhile late last summer. It was interesting and looks good on the Black Pearl paint. The problem with on the road and cool weather is, you still get a pretty good blast of air, but it obviously does not buffet and the wind is more stable. I often ride with a full face on long distance and usually ride with a 3/4 in town and putting around with and without face shields. Long and short of this story. The 6 inch KW is nice for around town and short runs. After wearing out a tape measure and reading about 37 ariticles on windshields for the Road Glide, I decided to order the 12 inch Freedom Shield. A little background on the Freedom Shield. It is made of Acrylic; great optical quality and is also made from 3/16" material with rounded edges. I ordered the dark smoke, because I like the darker shade (looks better aesthetically and bugs, dirt and minor scratches don't show up as much). You can also polish the acrylic if you do get a minor scratch. I hope this doesn't stir the controversy up concerning the flexibility of Lexan / Polycarbonate over Acrylic (Plexiglass). I have a background in aviation maintenance and that industry has had Plexiglass (Acrylic) around for a long time.

I didn't mean to go into a long discussion here, but I did. I am a little over 5'7" and have a 32 inseam. After all my calculations, I expect to have the top of the windshield about 2 inches below my straight line of vision... we will see.

I am new to posting on this site, but will try to post a couple pics of the 6 inch Klock Werks and the 12 inch Freedom Shield after it arrives.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenroks View Post
I bought my first Harley last summer. It is an 05 Road Glide. 88 cubes with a power module, Rineharts, 12 inch shocks and a low profile seat. I will probably ride a "Glide" until they take away my little round Harley key. I say that, because for years I didn't understand what the fuss was all about riding a HD. I know now

My RG looks a lot like the Street Glide (just hard bags and back rest for the rider and driver and the 1 inch shorter shocks). All that said, it had an original HD shield on it when I bought it. I had to look through the shield most of the time... the turbulence, buffeting and windshield shaking was aggravating. I picked up a 6 inch Klock Werks black opaque and ran it for awhile late last summer. It was interesting and looks good on the Black Pearl paint. The problem with on the road and cool weather is, you still get a pretty good blast of air, but it obviously does not buffet and the wind is more stable. I often ride with a full face on long distance and usually ride with a 3/4 in town and putting around with and without face shields. Long and short of this story. The 6 inch KW is nice for around town and short runs. After wearing out a tape measure and reading about 37 ariticles on windshields for the Road Glide, I decided to order the 12 inch Freedom Shield. A little background on the Freedom Shield. It is made of Acrylic; great optical quality and is also made from 3/16" material with rounded edges. I ordered the dark smoke, because I like the darker shade (looks better aesthetically and bugs, dirt and minor scratches don't show up as much). You can also polish the acrylic if you do get a minor scratch. I hope this doesn't stir the controversy up concerning the flexibility of Lexan / Polycarbonate over Acrylic (Plexiglass). I have a background in aviation maintenance and that industry has had Plexiglass (Acrylic) around for a long time.

I didn't mean to go into a long discussion here, but I did. I am a little over 5'7" and have a 32 inseam. After all my calculations, I expect to have the top of the windshield about 2 inches below my straight line of vision... we will see.

I am new to posting on this site, but will try to post a couple pics of the 6 inch Klock Werks and the 12 inch Freedom Shield after it arrives.
I too bought a 12" Freedom shield. Mine is light smoke. It measures 11" from the top of the speedometer housing and falls just below my line of sight. I am just under 5'8" with a 30" inseam. I have to say that it is the best in quality of any shield I have ever had. I have had 3 different shields on this 2013 RGC and I am staying with this one, primarily because the wife is now happy because she no longer gets blasted with lots of wind which kept blowing her contact around. The last shield I had was the 15" H-D Windsplitter which measured 1/2" lower than the 12" Freedom shield. I tried the 14" Freedom but sent it back because I couldn't see over it and had to look through it all the time. You can see the Freedom shields on their website freedomshields.net . I have to say that John was great to work with and he even sent me the last shield with no charge for shipping. He and his wife are the sole owners and operators of this business and make every windshield themselves. The shields look good, work good and are of the highest quality material. The shields also come with the well nuts already in place so all you have to do is pull out the old well nuts and insert the new windshield!
Old 02-25-2013, 03:30 PM

Morif... I agree with your assesment of the Freedom Shield operation. I studied long and hard on getting the 10 or 12 inch. I decided on the 12 and just ordered it off the website. I received an email personally (not a form letter type response) from John later that day telling me they would not be able to ship for 3 to 5 days, due to their work load and volume. That told me two things, 1) they are selling a few of these shields, and 2) that he cared enough to follow-up with an email. He also said he would like a follow-up email after I install it... and that tells me he is not afraid to stand behind his product. The price was very competetive compared to other shields... about middle of the curve actually. More later... Ken.