Which bars? - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Controls & Handlebars

Controls & Handlebars Controls and Handlebars for Road Glides

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Hangaround

Default Which bars?

No, not THAT kind of bars...
HANDLEBARS
I have noticed that I wind up with back pains after riding for about 2 hours. I have read on here about how different handlebars may be the answer to my ills.
Some have stated that Heritage style bars make a huge difference.
If I understand correctly they provide a 3" difference form the standard bars on a Road Glide.
I have also seen that the reduced reach bars for a Road King will give you about 2" of relief.

The difference, I have been lead to understand , is the ANGLE of the grip end.
Is one more srtaight [perpendicular] to the center-line of the bike than the other?
Due to a wrist injury from falling off a tractor 17 yrs ago, I am much more comfortable with my left hand more straight from my arm, than with the slight outard angle needed to grasp the left grip. It may not seem like much of a deal to most, but for ME, and my left wrist, it gets to be quite uncomfortable after a while

So, which bars Road King reduced reach or Heritage style?
Anyone else have any experience with both, and know if there is any angle difference at the grip end?
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrnchtchr View Post
No, not THAT kind of bars...
HANDLEBARS
I have noticed that I wind up with back pains after riding for about 2 hours. I have read on here about how different handlebars may be the answer to my ills.
Some have stated that Heritage style bars make a huge difference.
If I understand correctly they provide a 3" difference form the standard bars on a Road Glide.
I have also seen that the reduced reach bars for a Road King will give you about 2" of relief.

The difference, I have been lead to understand , is the ANGLE of the grip end.
Is one more srtaight [perpendicular] to the center-line of the bike than the other?
Due to a wrist injury from falling off a tractor 17 yrs ago, I am much more comfortable with my left hand more straight from my arm, than with the slight outard angle needed to grasp the left grip. It may not seem like much of a deal to most, but for ME, and my left wrist, it gets to be quite uncomfortable after a while

So, which bars Road King reduced reach or Heritage style?
Anyone else have any experience with both, and know if there is any angle difference at the grip end?
The heritage bars will hurt your wrist if you have a previous injury. I had not and the wrist angle would kill me on long rides. I myself am also looking at the RK reduced reach bars because the wrist angle is more relaxed as you say but they come back further.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:40 PM
Grey beard

Look at the Khrome Werks 2+2's. I really like mine. 5'7" and don't have to stretch.
Sundowner seat
Dobeck EJK
Chrome forks
Heritage bars
ISO grips
Cat free head pipes
SE Stage 2 breather
SE 255 cams
Rivera Taper Lite Pushrods
Tour pack
CB radio
More mods to come

Old 11-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Hangaround

I have the reduced reach bars and they made all the difference in the world. FWIW I have never tried the Heritage style bars so I can't give you a direct comparison. I have had back problems throughout my life and the combo of the reduced reach bars and the driver's back rest mean absolutely no back pain OR should blade pane. I'm 6 1" BTW
Old 11-15-2012, 05:27 PM

Apes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The best bars on a glide and the most comfy!
2011 COOL BLUE PEARL FLTRX , 120R,tman 660sm cams, tman push rods, S&S lifters,fueling cam plate amd oil pump, HPI 58 mm tb, hayden primary tensioner, SE race clutch, muller power clutch, thunder max ECM,Dragula 2 into1, WO572 14" chubbies, progressive 940s,ricor 41mm intiminatores,12'' windvest....
Old 11-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Hangaround

Thanks to everyone who put in their two cents, so far. I am beginning to think that the reduced reach bars might be the ones for me. Maybe I can get into a dealer that stocks several different types and actually LOOK at the difference.
Anyone else have an opinion?
Old 11-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Shark of the Month October 13

Location: On the shore of a lake in the middle of nowhere with more moose than people for neighbors.

I have arthritis issues in my neck, shoulders and wrists and am very sensitive to the angle of the bars from perpendicular. You may want to check out Sinister Industry's "Hot Rod" bars. I don't know if they're right for you but they worked wonders for me.

The older we get, the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Grey beard

Nobody has mentioned this and the expense of the bars is most likely the reason why, but Helibars provide the ultimate flexibility. You don't have to worry about the fit as they can be moved to a multitude of positions for height, pullback and hand positions. There is even the possibility of having different hand positions for each hand. I understand there are now several versions for Road Glides as I saw a new ape hanger version in Daytona at Biketoberfest on a bike that looked very interesting. As I said they are expensive.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:59 PM
Life Member

I have the heritage bars, and love em.

You never know until you can at least sit on a bike that has em, if not ride em.

I have had hand issues, to include a broken wrist and I have Rhuematoid Arthritus in my left hand and right shoulder.

I can ride all day long with them.

Also very cost effective, 80 bucks for the bars, no cable changes.

2012 FLRTX Chrome Freaking Yellow
Old 11-15-2012, 09:01 PM

Honestly, I don't like how the Heli bars look. Their function over form is too much for me. These seem like more of an option for bikes with few handlebar options (like my old ST1100). You have too many out there for Harleys and should be able to find one that fits you.

That aside, if you go in, it's really hard to get a feel unless you have the bars mounted. I held mine in place before mounting, but even then they were different when actually mounted.

For me, I'm 6'2 34 inseam and the reduced reach are great. I still have more room to move them back if I wanted but how they are mounted works for me. Very happy.