S&S 551 gear driven cams - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Intake and Exhaust

Intake and Exhaust Intake and Exhaust Systems for Road Glides
Sponsored by: Cobra

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-15-2012, 07:05 AM

Default S&S 551 gear driven cams

I was wanting to install the new easy start S&S 551G cams, and I had a question.
S&S states that they are easy start cams to help your starter last longer, but our new Road Glides already have some type of system in place that acts as a compression release.
So do I need to look at another cam set that is not easy start or not? I like the new 551G because it's good for low end torque up to 4000 rpm, which is perfect. I want that heavy bike to get off its ass sooner than later.

Thanks
Loner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 08:39 AM

Not really

Sent from my MB860 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-15-2012, 09:21 AM
Life Member

I may be wrong but when at the HD dealer looking at the new bikes I did not see any compression releases installed on the touring models with the 103 engine and I was looking to see if the new bikes are coming with ACR's because I am putting ACR's on my new heads. The 103 engine has a 9:6to1 compression ratio which is not high enough compression to require compression releases. I don't think that the easy start cams would be necessary but I haven't heard anything bad about them so if that's the cam you want then give them a try.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Life Member

All the current(from at least 2011-up) 103" motors come with ACRs installed from the factory. They are not visible, as they are installed down in the center of the head rather than out by the spark plug like the older aftermarket versions, and they vent internally into the exhaust port. If you have them you can hear them if you listen carefully when starting the bike.

Here's a couple pics of where they're at:
http://www.danvanceracing.com/id124.html

Ok, back to the original question.
yes, EZE start cams are redundant if you have the ACRs from the factory.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Life Member

My question to the OP, you're getting gear drive cams, have you checked the run out to make sure your crank is in spec? If not you'll be in for a rude awakening miles down the road. Also the 103s do come with a compression release which is automatic, (somebody chime in if I'm wrong), which means after so many revolutions of the motor they close wether or not the motor starts. The S&S is a centrifical release which means the motor has to reach a certain rpm before they stop working, so they will work until the motor starts which is why they are so easy on a starter.
2010 FLTRX, Rev Performance 107, S&S 570G cams, Head work, Crank trued and welded, timken conv, PM 21" Wrath, TMax, Dragos Dragula, Top Shop bags and fender, Holeshot LED's, Carlini Bag Drag bars, too many more things to list, and suject to change.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkkart View Post
All the current(from at least 2011-up) 103" motors come with ACRs installed from the factory. They are not visible, as they are installed down in the center of the head rather than out by the spark plug like the older aftermarket versions, and they vent internally into the exhaust port. If you have them you can hear them if you listen carefully when starting the bike.

Here's a couple pics of where they're at:
http://www.danvanceracing.com/id124.html

Ok, back to the original question.
yes, EZE start cams are redundant if you have the ACRs from the factory.
That explains why I didn't see the ACR's
Old 11-15-2012, 10:05 PM

Default ACR's

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the response. I'm still learing this bike, and I now know that any 103ci from HD has the ACR. Redundancy is a good thing.

I'm going with the S&S 551G EZ start cams. I'm thinking with those cams, my RSD intake, Rinehart Extreme true duals 4", and Power Vision custom map, that 820 lbs beast may win some races against those jaskass buddies of mine with lighter bikes.
Look out.... here I come...............

Thanks guys
Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 PM
Life Member

Depends on what kind of bikes your buddies have, also don't forget about checking the run out. I'm also curious, why are you going with gear drive instead of chain?
2010 FLTRX, Rev Performance 107, S&S 570G cams, Head work, Crank trued and welded, timken conv, PM 21" Wrath, TMax, Dragos Dragula, Top Shop bags and fender, Holeshot LED's, Carlini Bag Drag bars, too many more things to list, and suject to change.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:40 PM

I put gear driven cams in another bike of mine and just loved the quick response. I also like the fact that you remove the chain shoes. Also, the bike idles different and sounds different with gear driven. I know when a bike has gear driven cams in it, and I just say that's the sound of HP.
It's just my preference. I know chain driven are very good too, it's just I don't like chain lag.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Hangaround

how hard is it to check the runout of the crank ? thinking of gear drive cams also sometime this winter.looking for some big torque, to get this big fat ass of mine moving!! have no need for upper rpm power.