... if you've been to one you'll understand - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > General Forum Discussions > General Off-Topic Discussions

General Off-Topic Discussions Non-Road Glide Topics

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Life Member

Default ... if you've been to one you'll understand

..... 1st time i saw Neil Young was in March of '73
.......... if you've been to one of his shows, this'll make you smile ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz2Py...layer_embedded

...... if you haven't been to one'a his shows, ....... it'll prob'ly make you dance.

'05 FLTRI, King Tour Pak, Vented Lowers, SG fender Fascia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 04:46 AM
Grey beard

Been to two Neil shows, been disappointed both times. Big Neil fan too. The first time back in the day he left for intermission and never came back, caused a riot and the auditorium got tore up pretty bad. The second time was a solo electric tour a couple years ago. The sound and IMO some of the arrangements of his acoustic gone electric songs sucked. Hated it too cause I was really looking forward to those shows. Never got to see him with Crazy Horse though. Love his live stuff and talking to people it looks like I just happened on a couple bad shows though, have fun!

Did see Springsteen put on an amazing show the other night and have tickets for the Who in Feb. If you've never seen the Who do yourself a favor and check them out. They are a couple weeks into probably their last tour!

The beach is a place where a man can feel He's the only soul in the world thats real
Old 11-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Life Member

Flashback...
Haven't seen Neil Young since the 70s, when I saw a few shows.

Always liked 'Tonight's the Night' (poignant work following the passing of roadie Bruce Berry & guitarist Danny Whitten)

Also saw a CSN&Y show

Haven't heard any of Psychedelic Pill

You imagine me sipping champagne from your boot for a taste of your elegant pride.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe... but at least I'm enjoying the ride!
Old 11-09-2012, 12:06 PM

I don't know.....I couldn't enjoy that video....my computer kept skippin'......
Musta been a Mullet-tail.....or hairspray......

Anyway.....keep on rockin' in a free world......what's left of it...
Old 11-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Shark of the Month October 13

Location: On the shore of a lake in the middle of nowhere with more moose than people for neighbors.

Neil Young is my favorite singer/songwriter on the planet. Love his early stuff, like some of his electric period, and truely enjoy that he's gone back to a lot of acoustic performances lately. Saw him in Sturgis about 20 years ago at the HD concert at the Rapid City Civic Center. I was extremely disappointed. The opening act was Soundgarden in their early days. Sounded a lot like a cat fight broadcast through a few 1,000 watts of amps. Literally 30% of the crowd left before Neil ever took the stage. Then he came on and did pretty much an all electric concert. Enjoyed it, but felt cheated.

About five years ago we went with another couple to see him in St. John, New Brunswick and he was great. It was a nice mix of acoustic and electric. His "Prairie Wind" album and his "Heart of Gold" concert dvd from the Ryman are ones that I could watch and listen to over and over and over.

If I was ever asked the hypothetical question of, "If you were stranded on an island and could only have one artist's music to listen to, who would it be?"... it would take me all of 2 seconds to answer that question.

And the more you know about him and his wife Peggy, and their family challenges, the more you appreciate the fact that he's still out there performing. The fact that he's a brilliant song writer only adds to everything else.

The older we get, the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.

Last edited by Northwoods_Maine; 11-09-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksand View Post
Been to two Neil shows, been disappointed both times. Big Neil fan too. The first time back in the day he left for intermission and never came back, caused a riot and the auditorium got tore up pretty bad. The second time was a solo electric tour a couple years ago. The sound and IMO some of the arrangements of his acoustic gone electric songs sucked. Hated it too cause I was really looking forward to those shows. Never got to see him with Crazy Horse though.
I'm a Neil young fan and I've never seen him perform. I've been kicking myself for the past week. He was in Seattle last weekend and I couldn't go...

The first concert I ever went to was Stephen Stills, back in about 1971. He played a set with Crazy Horse backing him. It was the best part of the show...
Old 11-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Hangaround

I saw him in 96 and it was disappointing. He's actually playing here tomorrow but I'm not going. He grew up in the city around where I live, but rarely comes back here. His High School had there 100th anniversary reunion last summer, but he didn't make it.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Life Member With a Grey Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods_Maine View Post
Neil Young is my favorite singer/songwriter on the planet. Love his early stuff, like some of his electric period, and truely enjoy that he's gone back to a lot of acoustic performances lately. Saw him in Sturgis about 20 years ago at the HD concert at the Rapid City Civic Center. I was extremely disappointed. The opening act was Soundgarden in their early days. Sounded a lot like a cat fight broadcast through a few 1,000 watts of amps. Literally 30% of the crowd left before Neil ever took the stage. Then he came on and did pretty much an all electric concert. Enjoyed it, but felt cheated.

About five years ago we went with another couple to see him in St. John, New Brunswick and he was great. It was a nice mix of acoustic and electric. His "Prairie Wind" album and his "Heart of Gold" concert dvd from the Ryman are ones that I could watch and listen to over and over and over.

If I was ever asked the hypothetical question of, "If you were stranded on an island and could only have one artist's music to listen to, who would it be?"... it would take me all of 2 seconds to answer that question.

And the more you know about him and his wife Peggy, and their family challenges, the more you appreciate the fact that he's still out there performing. The fact that he's a brilliant song writer only adds to everything else.
Meh; like a good deal of his older stuff, and not so much other of the newer. Definitely not my first choice as the the end-all on an isolated island. And surely not because of his personal battles/challenges, however great. Music is music, and NY alone would get old pretty quick for me on that island; just not the best of the best IMAO. I enjoy some of his older stuff (especially with CSN), but little of the Crazy Horse era. But, of course, that is what makes us all unique.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Hangaround

I saw Mr. Young in 1977. He led off with Mr. Soul. was a great show. Live rust is one of my favorite concert films. Cortez the killer is my favorite. I had a friend who was a huge fan and he believed that Neil Young was the acoustic musician and his alter ego Bernard Shakey is the electric/rockin' guy. Could it be he's right?
Old 11-16-2012, 04:43 AM
Grey beard

+1 on Cortez the Killer, one of the great intros in rock music. They say Neil has written and recorded so much music that he hasn't released that after he dies they could release an album a month and go on for years and years.

The beach is a place where a man can feel He's the only soul in the world thats real