Tricky Road Glide riding - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures

*General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-16-2012, 03:20 AM
Grey beard

Default Tricky Road Glide riding

After some deliberation, I decided to do my MSF Experienced Riders Course on my skunk. I was going to take the girlfriend's scooter cuz it would possibly be easier (and less expensive if I messed up), but I ride the Skunk every day I'm able. After I aced the course with the radio blasting, the instructors told me that I did well enough to be an instructor, and gave me some numbers to call. They couldn't believe a dude my size (150 lbs) could move a big bike like that around, but I think we agree...the bike does a lot of the work for us. Advanced Riders Course in 2 weeks. Anyone else do advanced MSF courses or competition rides (slow race, total control, etc) on their sharks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 03:56 AM
Life Member

More balls than me my friend. Ill be doing that on my wife's sporty. I did the basic on their bike and the sportbike course on my crotch rocket. Now the corps says I was to so the ERC since I'm on a cruiser now. It never ends...

Sent from my VS910 4G using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-16-2012, 04:36 AM
Life Member

I've thought about doing the course, but after watching them for a few hrs, I guess I would have to do the advanced course, they definitely didn't do anything I couldn't do, and not as much as I can, lol. If I do, it will be on my bike, my wife has a VTX 1800, nothing against Honda, but that bike doesn't handle close to my RG, especially at low speed.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:43 AM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRichMRMC View Post
More balls than me my friend. Ill be doing that on my wife's sporty. I did the basic on their bike and the sportbike course on my crotch rocket. Now the corps says I was to so the ERC since I'm on a cruiser now. It never ends...

Sent from my VS910 4G using Motorcycle.com Free App
Lol seriously! After ARC, I might have to do the Total Control class since I'm the MSR!!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:49 AM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbell66253 View Post
I've thought about doing the course, but after watching them for a few hrs, I guess I would have to do the advanced course, they definitely didn't do anything I couldn't do, and not as much as I can, lol. If I do, it will be on my bike, my wife has a VTX 1800, nothing against Honda, but that bike doesn't handle close to my RG, especially at low speed.
I asked my buddy what they did before I brought old Smokey out there, so I wasn't intimidated, but I usually don't tempt fate. It seemed way easier than when I did it on my old V-Rod. Handles like a dream! I actually practice slow speed skills a lot though...u can never be too good. I'm sure that if you're skilled, you'd find it a non-issue, as I did. I did drag a floorboard a couple times just to show them I could, but I try not to make it a habit.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:27 AM
Life Member

I took the Advanced class here on my Ultra without any problems. The bike handled great and the class here really stressed moving your body to the inside of the bike which really helps with the lean angles and reduces dragging the floor boards some.The low center of gravity really helps the bike at the lower speed drills. The only problem I had is when I took the class it was the middle of the summer so the bike got pretty hot. Now it's time to head to Seattle or Portland for more classes I guess.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:54 AM
Life Member

Hey Lowmaks, congrats! I'm glad you used your own scoot - doesn't really do any good to do it on a bike you don't normally ride. You have to get over the fear of dropping it.

Don't stop there, though... gotta keep practicing because these are perishable skills.

I just finished a 6-week skills enhancement course last night. It was offered by the Az Precision Motorcycle Drill Team; they offer it at least a few times a year.

I practice regularly with a few friends and a couple of organized groups.
Exercises like Swiss Cross, J-turns, swerving at speed, threshold braking, figure 8, snowman, 90 turns from stop, etc.

I will disagree with you on one point, and that is that the bike does much of this for you. It does not. Poke your head into the garage... see, it's doing none of it. It is the rider working in the friction zone, applying a little trail brake, using head and eyes to put the bike where you want it. Make no mistake, these are learned skills. How many times have you seen guys duck walk thru an entire u-turn on a wide street or parking lot? ;-)

You imagine me sipping champagne from your boot for a taste of your elegant pride.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe... but at least I'm enjoying the ride!

Last edited by pargenz; 11-16-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:59 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmaks View Post
...u can never be too good.
........ true dat !

'05 FLTRI, King Tour Pak, Vented Lowers, SG fender Fascia
Old 11-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Life Member

Congrats on aceing the test. I have always wanted to take an advanced riding course. Have not seent them available in my area, but havent really been looking either.
maybe this spring i will. Im confident in my riding abilities,(legally riding on the street for 22 years) but would like to know and learn more.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Life Member

+1 on the bike "doing" anything. A well designed machine certainly will allow a rider to perform more comfortably and to the extent of their capabilities. Rider skills make the difference. Glad to hear we are taking the time to sharpen our skills. A friend is an instructor and we break out his flip books and drill on our own for something to do on slow weekends.

Last edited by zemo1017; 11-16-2012 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Changed they to we